You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Strange Happenings In The New Home

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Happenings In The New Home

 

Our house is around 35 years old, we are the third owners, but only the second to occupy the home. For unknown reasons the second homeowners owned the home for 10 years, kept it well maintained but never stayed on (nor rented) the property. The original owners died in the home of natural causes, but I never felt like the home is haunted.

A small idea of the layout of the home for reference: the home is a split level. You walk up stairs to get to the front door, once you enter you can either go downstairs to the laundry, garage, my den and husband's man cave, or you can go upstairs to the main floor where the living room, kitchen and dining room are visible from stairs, then to the left of the stairs is a small hall for three bedrooms and bathroom. Only a few things has happened to us personally, and one noteworthy thing happened to a friend.

Within the first 6 months of living there, my husband was working on organizing the garage so he was in and out of the home. I had just gotten home from work while my husband was walking out of the garage. I, just walking into the door, see my husband pause at the garage entry and say "Calypso (our black cat) just ran in the garage, remind me so we can let her out later." I respond "Ok" and proceed up the stairs only to be greeted by Calypso, our other cat, and the dog. I go downstairs, told my husband, we searched the garage only to find nothing out of the ordinary. He was 100% positive it was our cat.

A month later I was just waking up, my husband was showering so I was laying in bed being as lazy as I could before work. I rolled over and heard clear as day in my ear in what sounded like an older male voice "Don't forget it!" Thinking it was my husband I respond "Forget what?" and roll over to face the bathroom door thinking he is in the bedroom, nope he was still showering.

So we have now lived there for 2 years and I personally have seen the black cat once since my husband saw it.

A friend of our stays at our house when we are on vacation. He complains about the lights flickering (it's an old house so I chock that off to needing new electrical), odd feelings and the animals will stare into the dark hallway at night (I keep my door closed at night with the animals in the room and personally never had an issue).

Though one time he said he was outside playing in our back yard/woods with the dog at night. There is a floodlight but it doesn't reach too far into the woods. Anyhow, he said he was playing with the pup, she brought him the ball, dropped it. Our friend told us that he felt uneasy just before the dog turned around and started defensively growling towards the woods. He said he hasn't heard that sound come from her before, he saw nothing in the woods, and personally she never defensive growls when my husband or I are around.

Who knows what was out in the woods? Paranormal or not our friend won't go out there at night anymore.

Other hauntings by Jazolinlea

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Jersey

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jazolinlea, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Jazolinlea (5 stories) (22 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-25)
You know thinking back, my husbands wedding ring and my engagement ring disappeared the same week we saw the cat. We found my husbands ring behind the sofa table and have yet to find my engagement ring (I put it on a shelf above the sink in a cup), Maybe the stinker phantom cat knocked them off where we had them originally. 😜 You know what sort of stinkers cats can be lol. 😆
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-22)
We had an incident with phantom black cats... I think I touched on it in my second story but I don't recall just now (I blame cold medicine 😭). Anyway, my neighbor Susan (we live in a 1925 apartment building - our two units share the top floor) and my husband started seeing them around November or December of last year. They would see them quite frequently - several times a week - I think Susan's husband saw them too but I am not certain I ever did. Looking back, I think they were harbingers or some kind of feline angel (I know that sounds silly) because by the end of April the following year, my beloved cat had passed and son had theirs. Since then, no one has seen the phantom black cats.
Jazolinlea (5 stories) (22 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-20)
Rook- There are three ways in and out of our garage, but the only one that was used for at least a week was the one leading into the house and what my husband thought he saw was a cat running from the house into the garage that's why he thought it was one of ours (alas it was not).

As for Mr. Mistoffelees, I will have to remember to ask the mysterious cat if that is in fact his name. 😆

I am still looking for the photo Bastet. I apparently took way to many photo's in the last couple of years (lots of before and after photos of home renovation) IF found I will post, I really hope I can find it.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-20)
Purrrrrhaps your cat is related to Mr. Mistoffelees: 😲

Mr. Mistoffelees (Andrew Lloyd Webber)

You ought to ask Mr. Mistoffelees!
The original Conjuring cat
The greatest magicians have something to learn, From Mister Mistoffelees Conjuring Turn...

And we all say
Oh! Well I never was there ever
A cat so clever as Magical Mr. Mistoffelees

He is quiet, he is small, he is black
From the ears to the tip of his tail
He can creep through the tiniest crack
He can walk on the narrowest rail
He can pick any card from a pack
He is equally cunning with dice
He is always deceiving you into believing
That he's only hunting for mice

He can play any trick with a cork
Or a spoon and a bit of fish paste
If you look for a knife or a fork
And you think it merely misplaced
You have seen it one moment and then it is gone! But you find it next week lying out on the lawn

And we all say
Oh! Well I never was there ever
A cat so clever as Magical Mr. Mistoffelees (3x Repeat)

Well! His manner is vague and aloof
You would think there is nobody shyer
But his voice has been heard on the roof
When he was curled up by the fire
And he's sometimes been heard by the fire
When he was about on the roof

At least they all heard that somebody purred Which is uncontestable proof of his singular magical powers

And I've known the family to call him in from the garden for hours While he was asleep in the hall; And not long ago this phenomenal cat Produced seven kittens right out of a hat

And we all say
Oh! Well I never was there ever
A cat so clever as Magical Mr. Mistoffelees

Oh! Well I never was there ever
A cat so clever as Magical Mr. Mistoffelees

And not long ago this phenomenal cat
Produced seven kittens right out of a hat

And we all say
Oh! Well I never was there ever
A cat so clever as Magical Mr. Mistoffelees (5x Repeat)

Ladies and Gentleman, I give you the Magical Mr. Mistoffelees...

There are of course other possibilities, your husband saw a real cat that resembled yours and by the time you inspected/searched the garage it had left...OR... (seeing as you stated you have seen it once) it MAY be the spirit of a cat that passed on the property.

Respectfully,

Rook 😉
Bastet (2 stories) (25 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-19)
[at] Jazolinea - The Cat event seems interesting - Yes, we would love to see the pic!
Jazolinlea (5 stories) (22 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-19)
I did see something rather strange in our woods not long after we moved in. So strange in fact I called the zoo 5 miles from our house wondering if they had any missing animals. The closest I can describe it as is a very large cat in our yard. Our neighbors have wild Maine Coon cats but this was much larger with a skinny tail. The best description was panther not native to our area (hence the phone call to the zoo), but there were no escaped animals (I was told by neighbors that the zoo has had escapes before but they didn't keep it a secret as to try and find the animal quick). I did take a photo, showed my husband who agreed it was far to large for a domestic cat (if I find the photo I will share, I switched phones so I have to check to cloud and pray it didn't get deleted). 😕
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-19)
Jazolinlea - I absolutely believe that you and your husband could have seen a ghost cat.

I have seen two of my cats, both black incidentally, after they died. Two of my dogs also put in their appearance after their respective deaths.

Have you and your husband ever experienced anything unusual in the woods? It might be that what your friend experienced could have been anything, not necessarily paranormal.

The down-lighters in my house flicker a lot but I'm almost positive that that's an electrical problem.

Thanks for sharing!

Regards, Melda
Argette (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-18)
I have heard of ghost cats from others, so I believe that is a possibility. I have floater in my eyes, though, and often I confuse floaters for critters. We don't have any pets.

What really scares me is the presence in the woods. Be careful!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: