You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Kinder Classroom

Real Ghost Stories

The Kinder Classroom

 

I have had to spend some time thinking about how I wanted to begin the next chapter of ghost experiences in my life. This one occurred to me from out of nowhere and I decided that might mean it was time to share it.

Once I was married and moved away from my parent's house, I hadn't really experienced any hauntings, and for the most part I figured those times were over. I was so wrong. My husband was military and we were transferred to Louisiana. I was a stay-at-home mom, but working to earn my teaching certificate.

Before you can be a teacher, you have to student teach alongside a classroom teacher. During that time, there was one thing that reoccurred over and over and bothered me. We worked in an older building. It was built in 1956. It had been used as the high school at one time and as the area grew it was eventually the kinder/first grade building, and a new high school was built farther down the road. Our building was set up as one big long hallway with classrooms on both sides.

The classroom I was in was at one of the far ends of the hallway. At random times the door would slam shut. Our windows would be closed and the only open thing was the door. In Louisiana, we didn't open windows because the humidity. The classrooms were supplied with their own heating and cooling units. I'd like to say that one of the doors leading into the building had been opened, but that wasn't the case either as I'd always go reopen the door.

The teacher I was teaching under preferred it open and the only air that got into the hallways to cool them for the janitors came from the classrooms. I always checked the hallway when opening the door. Just a natural thing to see if anyone was in the hall. Also, none of the other doors ever slammed. I know as I taught in almost every single room in that building at least a few times, and even had my own classroom of kids in two different rooms over the course of our time there.

Of course when this happened the kinder kids would gasp. It had scared them. I finally just told them, "It's no biggie, it's Mrs. S's ghost." Mrs. S was the teacher whose class I was teaching in.

Well one night Mrs. S and I were going to a coworker's house and she told me a story that chilled me. I don't even remember how we got on the topic, but I think I might have mentioned the door slamming and just telling the kids it was a ghost.

Years ago (Mrs. S had been teaching kinder for 32 years at that time) she had a little boy. His family was poor to the point they had no one to care for him after school. He went home one day and went to get a snack from the fridge. Somehow the fridge had a short, and he was electrocuted. His mother found him when she got home, rushed him to the hospital, and called Mrs. S.

Mrs. S said the mother didn't have other family and was not a religious woman. Mrs. S went to the hospital with her pastor. They prayed for the little boy. He did not survive. She told me that was the saddest year she ever taught. Her classroom had a fundraiser for the mom to buy a stone for the child's grave. She said she doesn't know if the mom ever did get a headstone because she hadn't been back to see the grave.

I never joked about the door slamming being a ghost again. I will be adding to my experiences in Louisiana as I have more time, as I had things happen to me in my own home. I think that whole state might be haunted.

Other hauntings by Kest

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Louisiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kest, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Jessica5824 (2 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-06)
I live in Louisiana and totally agree w you on that the whole state may be haunted. I live in and old NO home and my 3 year sees a ghost who apparently was the butler of the first owners in the 1900s. I had a medium come read my house that's how I know of his position. Ughh I'm freaked out yet fascinated by it. New Orleans is full of this stuff.
Jubeele (26 stories) (892 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-23)
Oh, so sad... Yet touching in a way. It's almost as if the ghost was lonesome and he had liked school so much that he chose to come back to spend time there. I do hope he is now at peace. My mother taught primary school for over 30 years. She was the teacher everyone jumped to obey - I'm going to share your story with her.
Kest (12 stories) (55 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-07-22)
After writing this I have more memories of this that came up. Mrs. S didn't know what to think, but almost every teacher in that building had some kind of experience that creeped them out and that was unexplained. As a rule, no one wanted to be there alone. If it was on a weekend and a teacher needed to go in, we would usually have our kids or spouse with us. The janitor told me she hated being there after we left because it was so creepy and she'd hear things. I tried to make her feel better by telling her maybe it was more squirrels because once there was a squirrel that got into the ceiling.

Mrs. S did say that she doesn't remember the door slamming before his passing, but she had been teaching in that room forever. The question of "do you remember that door slamming before his passing" did come out my mouth.

A few times when I had to teach in the room by myself, I would go in and talk to him. I asked him not to slam the door because we had a lot to do. I told him he was welcome to stay and learn. I don't remember it slamming those days. I also asked him not do do other things that scared me. I had the feeling of being watched so many times, and more than once there was someone making breathing noises by me. I think I saw him once. There were two big bookcases in the room, it was during naps and I remember seeing a small black shadow run by them, and then it seemed to turn, but that would have put the shadow in the hall because the bookcase ends were against the wall. I think whatever was there used to visit me in my own classroom too when I finally had one.

The Vice Principal used to just tell me that there were "negative ions" and the building needed more positive ones. I told him my creepy experiences in there. He was actually Mrs. S's husband and said she had complained of creepy things. When things happened to her she'd just "pray them away." It was an interesting place for sure.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-22)
What a sad situation. I hope if the door slammer was that little boy that he has found his way to the other side. Did Mrs. S think it was him? Did she remember any activity before his passing? Do you know if anyone else in the school had any experiences?

Can't wait to read of your other experiences!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: