You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: White Robed Figures

Real Ghost Stories

White Robed Figures

 

This event took place in the winter of 2011, when I had just relocated from Portland back to my hometown in rural Oregon. My house was built by my maternal grandparents in the 1960's. After they were both gone, my mom didn't have the heart to sell or lease the house. So, here I am.

The property sits just off of a highway (not a busy one) and on a slope. There are several stairs leading up to the front door from the carport which sits underneath our dining room. My grandfather was a veterinarian, and also had a horse, so there is a large barn down the slope about 20 or 30 steps from the house. At any rate, you can see the barn clearly from the house. This isn't terribly relevant, but it gives you a bit of a visual.

It was a Friday or Saturday night as I was up late, around 11 or midnight. The night was foggy, and it was seasonably cold outside. I stepped out of the front door to have a smoke (no judging... I know it's bad!). I sat on the front steps, and down just to the left of the barn, I saw 3 or 4 hooded figures, wearing white. What I would describe as KKK garb. I thought, "What in the ----?!" Maybe it was an animal, or I'm just tired & seeing things. I stared & they moved around, like they were busy working on something as a group. I rubbed my eyes and could still see them, though foggy, these were human forms. I should also say that it was dead quiet outside. Not a peep from an animal, no traffic, nor were the figures making any noises with whatever work they appeared to be doing.

Oddly enough, I wasn't really afraid of trespassers - I was certain these were ghostly figures I was seeing. So, I stepped down a couple of stairs to see if I could get a better look. Still blurry, but definitely a group of human-sized beings wearing white. They didn't appear to notice me. This all lasted the length of my smoke, about 5 minutes.

I went inside to grab my phone & a flashlight to shine down on them. By the time I was back outside, they had vanished. I shined the light down to see if there were any errant animals running about and there was nothing.

I told my boyfriend about this, as he was still up watching TV. He is easily creeped out and can't even watch the Shining without carrying on & making a fuss. He pretty much just said, "Seriously? Creepy!" and went back to the TV, I think probably pretending like I hadn't told him anything. (haha)

Seeing figures that appear to be KKK is definitely chilling to say the least, however, in this region it would not surprise me. A lot of confederates migrated to this area following the Civil War, and as weird as it sounds, their children, grandchildren & great-grandchildren, great-great, etc. Still sound like they're from the South, with thick southern accents. This has always baffled me.

It's possible this was a residual something-or-other, a ritual of sorts. What it was, I don't want to know... And I haven't seen them again.

Other hauntings by Cups

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oregon

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Cups, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Violet-Tartan (8 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-08-05)
I also think it was residual. You were just time traveling in a way it's like his time traveling hallucination LOL I was going to suggest that it was probably that. But it looks like you think that that is what it was as well. Native Oregon chick right here. Born and raised. Currently in Portland. But I am from some smaller towns near Salem. Had lots of experiences, myself. I kind of want to know where this was at.
Cups (7 stories) (159 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-07-14)
Hi everyone! Again, my apologies for the late responses... I have no idea what this property was long ago, although I did find out recently there was a walnut grove where there are now several houses. Local papers - I can check but I'm not hopeful for information; even today our town's paper does not have a website. 😨

Yes, my gut told me KKK as their hoods were indeed pointed even though my view was not real clear. It just felt...off. Like I said, I wasn't afraid it was a living group of people, rather the strange feeling it was a "recording" of something in the past. We are not too far from Antelope, where some strange stuff happened in the 80s (watch Wild Wild Country!) but I felt it was just...old. Not cultish, although I'm going by perception here. I kind of wish now that I'd just walked down close to the action to get a better account. But at the time, getting closer to what's perceived as ghostly figures isn't really a priority! 😳
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2017-11-24)
Cups, what a weird experience, I had no idea that the KKK ranged so far across the states or that they were still active.

I was watching a Quentin Tarantino movie the other night and thought of your experience and everyone's comments. There was a scene showing a big bunch of riders all complaining that they couldn't see when they were wearing these white sacks and they wanted to take them off, which didn't please the leader or the one rider whose wife 'had stayed up all night making these hoods for you guys'.

The scene made me realize that exposing these people and making fun of them went a long way to neutralizing their primary weapon of fear.

I'm glad that you haven't seen them again. Real life is a lot more scary than Hollywood movies.
EmmalineTexas (10 stories) (163 posts)
+5
6 years ago (2017-11-24)
Hi Cups, I thought that your story was fascinating. As much as I hate the Klan, I did a little digging to find out the history of the KKK in Oregon. I'm shocked that it was widespread http://offbeatoregon.com/1304c-rise-of-the-ku-klux-klan-in-oregon.html. Your story said that you're off of a highway. Is there any area nearby where people would have gathered before your family built the house there?

Thanks for your story. ❤
Emma
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-11-22)
On second thought - since you didn't feel threatened by them, are you sure you were looking at ghosts of the KKK? Were they wearing their ridiculous pointy hats? Could they have been members of some religious sect? A cult? A commune?
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2017-11-22)
Sadly, KKK activity was never limited to the Southern states not were its members strictly former Confederates and their descendants - it was an epidemic of hate that effected much of the country in one guise or another. As shameful as such eras of nastiness are they should never be forgotten lest they be repeated. Do you know anything of the history of the land? If something happened there in years gone by, the local paper likely reported on it.
Zombiemare13 (1 stories) (10 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2017-11-21)
Wow interesting experience and I agree with Melda-I'd want to see it too as I am eaten up w curiosity when it comes to ghosts. Ever since that first thing happened to me I have been sort of "poking" at it. I know I shouldn't but it's hard not to now that I know it's there. Thanx for sharing 👻👻👻
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2017-11-21)
Cups - What an interesting experience you had!

I'm not American but I think everybody worldwide knows all about the infamous KKK. From your description of the area, I'm sure it is quite possible that they had a few gatherings there.

It could have been residual and you were just fortunate to be able to witness the event. Yes, I say "fortunate". Call me crazy but I would have loved to have seen that.

Regards, Melda
Jubeele (26 stories) (892 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2017-11-20)
I had the same scarey thought. I think people are more frightening than ghosts!

Wonder if anything happened on the land before your grandparents built their house... 😨
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-11-20)
I sure hope they were ghosts and not a group of KKK's ready to do some mischief.

Intriguing experience.
Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: