You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: My Child Talks with a Stranger

Real Ghost Stories

My Child Talks with a Stranger

 

My name is Andrea and I am a single mother of a two year old little girl. I moved into my home eight years ago while engaged to my now ex-husband. Elderly neighbors explained to me that our community was originally built in the 50's. The houses were intended for War Veterans returning to the states to have affordable housing.

I had lived in the home a little over a year and decided that I would love to have a small dog for companionship while my husband worked late. It wasn't long after the 8 month old pup started barking viciously down the hallway facing the door which is now my daughters room. The hair on the back of her neck would stand up and she would shake uncontrollably. The bedroom at this time only served as a guest room and storage for extra clothes. The dog who would never leave my side anywhere I went in the house, refused to enter this room. I could never understand why? I knew that some dogs just have funny little "quirks" about them and just wrote it off as such.

Years passed and I never gave my little dog Clea's behavior much attention. However, one night in particular I was watching T.V. with my little pug sitting on my lap. She started shaking and I looked down at her and every hair on the back of her neck was standing up.

She coward on my lap and begin licking her lips in submissive behavior. I "baby talked" her trying to relax her while trying to look and see what had upset her so badly. I turned my head and saw nothing. Clea jumped out of my lap onto the back of our couch and began barking ferociously to the point she bit her tongue. I have to admit this scared my terribly. Who or what was doing this to my dog? What does she see that I can't! I paced the house nervously until my husband arrived home. He could tell that I was very upset but laughed at me when I told him of our encounter. He stated "you girls have been up to late watching crazy movies". This occurred again on several occasions after that night even with him present. He never gave it a second thought and would scald our dog every time she behaved this way.

In the summer of 2004 I was informed by my doctor that I was pregnant. My husband at this time was having an affair that I was not aware of until I was 7 months pregnant. We had a horrible fight that night over his adulterous behavior. I made him leave that night, I couldn't bare to see his face. Minutes after he left the driveway I began crying hysterically on my couch. My dog Clea was lying beside me when she began the curled lip growling again. I look up and the pendants over my bar were swinging in small circles. My nerves were already shot and words began coming out of my mouth that I would never say if I was in a calm state. "If you are here to hurt me go ahead and get it over with, can't you see I am in enough pain!" The pendants immediately stopped moving and my little dog chased whatever it was down the hallway until she came to the door and then ran back to me. The incidents seemed to stop completely after that night.

The birth of my daughter took my mind off of all that had happened. The room that my little dog hated was now a sweet nursery for my new baby girl. But, my little baby did not care for the room either. She would cry every time I would lay her down in her crib. I ended buying a bassinnette for my room and she would sleep all night long, except waking up for feedings. As she grew older she would go into the room to get toys and books. At times she would look up toward the ceiling and reach her arms up as if someone was there. This scared me. What and who is in this room and why! Needless to say my daughter sleeps with me.

My sister who is a pharmacist assistant watched my daughter for me one day while I was running errands. She heard my daughter talking to someone and went to investigate. Her aunt asked her who are you talking to little-bit? My daughter responded, him and pointed beside of her. "He plays with me and he lives in this room". My sister who was an MP in the Navy grabbed my daughters arm and left my house with all of the lights on and unlocked!

The latest incident and the very reason I am writing this story is because of what happened just two days ago. My cousin and I were sitting in the living room with her son who is two months older than my daughter. My little girl was in her room and began yelling and screaming at the top of her lungs. She ran into the living room to show us her arm. It was red and whelped! I remained calm and asked her what happened. She said mom, "He told me to stay out of my closet and that I couldn't have my blue scarf"! I asked her who are you talking about your cousin has been in her with us? No mommy the man that lives in my room, he said I can't have my scarf because I wrapped it around my neck to tight last time and you put me in time out. My heart felt like it was in my throat! This man in her room understood what went on in our household! He heard me telling my daughter to never wrap things around her neck that she could strangle herself! My cousin became just as upset as me and would not let her son play in the room. They left shortly after this happened.

The next day she and her son returned, I am a nurse's assistant and she had to come by to get her weekly shot. Her son went into the playroom and we could hear him talking. She jumped up and ran down my hallway. There was her son standing in the middle of the room laughing and talking as if someone were "picking" with him looking in the opposite direction of us. Again she left with an odd look on her face. She called me later that night to tell me of her son's experience at my house. He wanted to come back and play with the man at my house!

I have to admit that I am a little scared. Who or what is in that room and why? He doesn't seem to be evil or really bother us. My daughter is afraid of the dark now when she never has been in the past. Is it because she can see him in the dark and it startles her? How can two children who are less than three years old give the same description of a man that we can't see. They are too little to make this up. My little dog who I am sad to say has passed on knew he has been here. I am currently trying to locate the original owners of this house to find out who he might be. Wish me luck...

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AndreaC, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Teffy88 (10 posts)
 
2 years ago (2021-12-13)
Wow! How is everything now? I doubt you'll respond as this is an older story but I'd love to an update if possible. I see I'm not the only one who's curious lol.
JaniBoy (2 stories) (17 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-07-21)
nice story. Any updates on this? Have you found anything about the history of the house?

Btw, I also have a 2 yo nephew who frequently seems to be talking to someone we can't see. Sometimes, we even see him handing his toys to his invisible friend. This really scares us.
mryogi (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-20)
I want to tell you that children are able to perceive things which can't be seen by adults. The same thing happened once to my nephew when he was 4 years. It was in Shillong, Meghalaya, India. I wasn't there but my little brother of 15 years were paying a visit to them along with my parents. My brother and nephew were sleeping in the living room as there was little space in the bedrooms. It was around 2:30am in tye morning and my brother was sleeping when our nephew suddenly woke him up and said, '' I saw a little boy opening the door and peeping into the room.'' My brother was scared out of his wits because the door was still locked from inside and there was no way anybody, not even an adult could have opened that door without force. But the door was closed and intact...
Giagee99 (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-15)
Children are more open to those type of possibilities, I know that you may find that weird because you believe in it, and if you want to know more I hear they are currently studying why this could be! Best of luck! 😁
soundofwhite (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-01)
thats really creepy! Did you ever find anything out about past owners of the house?
ghostfreak14 (2 stories) (44 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-12-23)
sorry about your dog, and good luck, please write about what you discover I am very corius because my little sister who is 4 talkes about people in my living room and ever since I was a little girl I was afraid of my living room and my bedroom, and still to this day (I am 13) I am afraid.
Ghostgirl24 (9 stories) (30 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-10-16)
Hi Andrea C.
Im Melissa aka Ghostgirl24, what I say right now is what you must do. My little girl is almost 2 she has been talking to someone in my dining room for the past 4 months. This is an earthbound spirit, now if your curious on who he may be do this and it should work. Earthbound spirits love to communicate especially with small children. The reason being is that their minds are not influenced as much as ours may be. When you go into her play room take a bag of pure white flour pour some flour on either a table or even the floor, before you leave that room you make it clear but in a friendly voice (you don't want to provoke him) ask him to write his name in the flour and stay in the room until you come back. Leave the room close the door and don't go back until the next day, don't even let your little one in the room. If he writes his name in the flour call him by that name explain to him that he is no longer welcome in your home and that he has passed on. Tell him to go towards the light every earthbound spirit sees the light they are either afraid to enter it or they need help in entering it so you say to him god is calling you home enter the light and forever be in peace. Remember spirits feed off of your fear you show fear they will get stronger and more powerful what you want to do is make him weak send him home. If that does not work I suggest strongly that you move out if you have anymore questions or concerns please feel free to contact me at melissaf2007 [at] live.ca I will help in any way possible.
boogoosttella124 (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-22)
hello,
I am a paranormal reashearcher. Based on what can happen I would say sell the home. Find a catholic church and get an experience exorsit to perform an exersism. But first go into the room. And yell In the name of Jesus Christ begone. If you don't believe in jesus.Don't do that. Um the arm insident I woulkd be vary conserned about. This ghost seems harmful if upset. Now also what I would be conserned about is that if the ghost tells her to do something dangerouse. Like something that could hurt her. If she says "he wants me to do this so I can be with him " be very concerned. MOVE OUT OF THAT HOUSE.
XoxMandy96Xox (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-21)
I suggest if you can you may want to move into a different home. As you said you are going to try and find the original owner which I think is a good idea... But until you do that I insist that you get your house blessed and if you see the "man" I would say this..."in the name of Jesus Christ what do you want?" they will answer you.it's what my grandmother did all the time. They would leave her alone... Or answer her... The best thing to do right now is pray that this thing is not evil and will not harm your daughter...
rapunzel1997 (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-21)
I am just 13 years old. And I too have expreinced talking with the paranormal, but mine was evil just say "Depart in the name of the lord..."You may hear a squeal, if its evil, and a swishign noise if its good I have exprinced both, keep strong and keep your daughter aware of the person who may be in there. 😲
bigred101 (3 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-21)
it seems like this man isn't very harmful I mean if he wanted to frighten them he would have already. If I were you, I'd just go in the 'play room' and say "Look you can stay here that's fine with me, just don't hurt my daughter please" hopefully the man will understand. And if he ever does hurt your daughter again then I'd leave the house.
MellMelon (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-24)
Wow. This story is very chilling! I suggest, like many others here have said, that you find out the history of your house, and find out who used to live there.
you could get another dog to make you feel more comfortable, although, the dog may be able to see the man who your daughter claims to be talking to.
this man seems to be friendly, and it seems that one one time that he hurt your daughter was an accident. It most likely won't happen again. If you want him to go away, take your daughter to her room and ask her if he is in the room at the time. If she says yes, then tell the ghost to polietly go away becuase he is bothering you a bit. But if you want him to stay, just let him know that you do not want him to scare you or your little girl anymore.
sweetie (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-18)
Please keep us posted if you find any new information! I'm dying to know the history of your home.
BriFischer05 (14 stories) (169 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-17)
I can totally relate to your story. My 20mo has started interacting with an unseen being (to me anyways). This being also tends to focus its energy on my son. Stay strong and if you're ever feeling too overwhelmed just repeat out loud or to yourself that you, your family and your residence is surrounded by the white light of all that is good and positive and all that is not, is not welcome. Take care!
CenterCore (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-15)
Seems as if kids and pets are the most susceptible to visions of the deceased or other paranormal. You know it's no fabrication when it comes from the word of a child. Pets don't usually lie either LOL. But good luck, sorry about your husband's cheating, that is so wrong. No one has the right to run around on the one who loves them and I'll never support ANYONE who does such.
- CORE
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-14)
I firmly believe that children and animals often see, hear and feel things that we can not. They have not been jaded to the world yet, so to speak.

From all of the encounters you have described in this story, I would say that there is some type of paranormal activity occuring in your home. 'He' may be there for any number of reasons, but he has not crossed over for some reason yet.

We know he is not heart less or mean, when you exploded about your already being in pain, he stopped his display. He also appears to be concerned for your daughters safety and well being.

My suggestion would be to place a cross in each room of the house, especially the bed room. Tell him (even if he is not visible to you) that he should cross in to the light. Let him know he will find peace there. Let him know the Lord waits to embrace him. Say prayers for him, for Jesus to take him into His arms and embrace him, providing him with eternal peace and joy.

There is something that holds him to this plane, hopefully you will be able to convince him to cross over so he can finally have the peace he has not yet found.

God Bless!
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-13)
Hi AndreaC. Your story is very interesting. I must agree with most of the others on this one. I believe that this ghost is not harmful and is protective of you and especially your daughter. I think that the dog was just being a dog by barking at something unfamiliar. I also think that the smack wasn't meant to be so harmful but to try to get her to let go when she wouldn't. He accidentally did it a little too hard and felt bad for it. If she can see him, then it is a guarantee that she can see many other entities. I would speak to this ghostly man in the room and set some rules. Don't be harsh or anything, just let him know he has to be more gentle with her and not too frighten her, which I don't think he is purposely doing. She could be afraid of the dark because he may startle her but I think that it is something else that bothers her or it could be that she's just scared of the dark like a lot of kids. Thanks for sharing your story and keep us updated. ~Shelby ❤
OrbsAreRubbish (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-13)
Hi Andrea, I have to start by saying this is one of the most chilling stories I have read thus far on this website. It really does creep me out.
I think the scariest part of this in my eyes is that its supposedly the entity of a fully grown man haunting the room and appearing to the youngsters that enter. I don't have kids, I'm just a 22 year old guy. But if I were you id be researching this like mad trying to find out who or what is bothering you and your daughter. Whetever it is doesn't sound harmful but its better to be safe than sorry no? 😊
kitzy11 (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-13)
Hi Andrea.
I think that maybe what your daughter saw was a one of the people that use to live there as your neighbours told you about them, maybe he died there and doesn't want to leave or maybe it could be the presence of someone who use to know the owner of the house before you. Anyway you should tell us more about this experience as you and your daughter grow up more and tell us if he is still there.
I hope you find what your looking for.

Lauren ❤
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-12)
Hi Andrea, I'm sorry for the heartache you have had to face, it can't have been easy. I think you should check out the history of the house. To me it seems as if the visitor just wants to protect your daughter. Pets and children seem to be aware of entities that we are not. Your dog may have simply sensed a strange presence and so felt on guard. When you asked your husband to leave, it seems as if your spirit was trying to let you know that you did the right thing, comforting you. You could speak to this entity and ask him to please stop scaring your daughter, it's too late for her to play. Even ask if something else is around and to keep her daughter safe, protect her. I don't want to frighten you with that statement, that's not my intention at all. There could be someone in the background that she is not familiar with and that scares her, not dangerous, just strange to her. I think if anything was a threat, the gentle caregiver would have taken care of it by now. If you have anything else happen, please feel free to let us know, we'll certainly try to help as much as we can. Thanks for sharing your story.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-12)
Hi Andrea.
I will have to agree with the others here in saying that you have a friendly ghost. I would say that the time that he hurt your child was an accident. It may have happened as WB said, they turned loose at the same time or he may have smacked her arm too hard to get her to turn loose. Either way he meant no harm. I see him as a older gentleman, rather than a young man, because he seems to have raised kids before and knows of the dangers than a young man wouldn`t think of. I would do as the ladies he have stated and set some ground rules, I`m sure he will follow what you say. He is there to protect and speaking as an older man (I`m 54) when trying to protect sometimes you accidentally hurt.

FRAWIN
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-12)
Hello Andrea.
Animals and young children see and experience much more than we know is possible. She sounds like she was quite the ferocious little watch dog. I love pugs! 😊
I do have a question about the summer of 2004. When the pendants hanging above your bar were swinging in a circle, can you by chance, remember if they were rotating clockwise or counter clockwise? And what exactly are these pendants?
Golly can I identify with your sisters reaction to your daughter saying that the man was in HIS room, she just happened to share it with him. The man is her protector. You see it all the time. You know those times she was toddling really close to the edge of that little step, but did not fall? He stopped her.
He is not a stranger to her, nor her cousin. They both know him well, and know he will not harm them. In fact, it was an accident that your little girl got the welts (both of them let go of the scarf) and he felt terrible and left, that is why she came running into the living room where you were.
I do not think he has anything to do with the night terrors. Is she still two or three? Around that age so many things are trying to get processed in their minds and let's face it, the world is confusing and a scary place. Lollipops can frighten at times, though we may never understand why. I do not think it has anything to do with the paranormal, but if you think differently, why do you not just tell him that you need his help (It appears this is his mission. He has helped her out on countless occasions.). Explain to him, simply, do not embellish or "rant on" just cut and dry, this is how it is Bud. I need your help. (who is Annie?) My daughter is scared to go to sleep. If there is anyone here who is frightening her, could you please keep them out? If it happens to be you, could you please wait to play with her after she has a good nights sleep?
You will know the words to say, I think you have a pretty good handle on what is going on there and you found that in talking to your ghostly guest that it does work. I think you should try it again.
As much as we do not want to believe it, ghosts do pay attention, they do know what goes on. I would not worry about that. He's just an extra Uncle. The children's description of the man... Is he your ex-husbands age or your fathers?
Thank you for your story.
huendchen (49 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-12)
Your husband used to scald your dog?! How inhumane! LOL I think you mean 'scold'. Ok I know, that's not helping you...Yes, children are more susceptible to the paranormal. What people often pass off as imaginary friends are often actually spirits that only children can see. I'm so glad you actually believe your child and haven't told her she's just imagining things. As for this man she and the other boy keep seeing - he seems harmless, helpful in fact. However, the fact he can physically harm your daughter is terrifying for any mother and I suggest you try talking to this spirit (from your story it seems to have worked in the past) and tell him you don't mind him being here but not to harm or frighten your daughter. As for being afraid at night - if your daughter can see this man, she can probably see other spirits too or shadow people and maybe that's what's keeping her up at night. It may not be the man that's making her afraid of the dark, but something else. It could just be she's a kid and she's plain old scared of the dark. Who knows. Try and get to the bottom of her fear. Good luck!

Huendchen.
ruby13 (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-12)
hello Andrea,
Thank-you for sharing your story and I have enjoyed reading it, though I have experienced this before, my son at the age of 4 started to see things in his room and became very scared but confused and did not understand what was going on. He told me he saw an old man asking him to help. I became very scared and we are know at a knew home in new york. I have a further detaild story that I will be shortly making, so when I do please read it, and I would love it if you emailed me with further information about your encounter. Thank-you. Ruby x
Kat (2 stories) (30 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-12)
Hi Andrea.
Thank you for sharing your encounter, I have really enjoyed reading about it.
They say that kids under 8 years of age are more susceptible to psychic or paranormal experiences (my Grandmother tells me all the time of things I did as a child that sent a shiver up her spine) and I believe it.
Your Daughter and your Cousins Son are so young and have a lack of understanding when it comes to the paranormal that when or if something does happen they may take it as normal. This Man your Daughter talks to seems to have a kind nature and I would be happy to think that he is looking after her, the scarf incident sounds comical, I had a little chuckle when I read that bit, I just get a vision of a child and a man that isn't there having a fight over it. LOL.
I think its almost a guardian angel situation. Could it be a deceased family member?
It would be nice if you kept us up to date on what happens.
Katie x x x

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: