You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: I Saw A Spirit As Clear And Solid As A Living Person

Real Ghost Stories

I Saw A Spirit As Clear And Solid As A Living Person

 

I had a job working at a secured military facility out in the remote Utah desert. When I was hired the man who trained me asked if I believed in ghosts, because if not, I would before I left the job. He was kind of strange though, just like the rest of us graveyard shift workers, so I never gave it much thought...

He shadowed me for a week, showing me where I was allowed to go, where the restricted areas were, and he introduced me to the occasional worker that we ran into. We worked in a huge warehouse that was divided into seven sections. There were only four of us working the night shift.

There was an area that felt really creepy, and I mentioned it. It was in the nicest section of the warehouse, the quality control department, which was well lit and even heated. Easily the most comfortable section.

My trainer gave me a nervous look and hustled me out of there. Once we got outside, he told me an inspector died by suicide in there. Don't talk about him though, or else he may show up. He told me if I talked about ghosts he would PT my butt and recycle me all the way down to janitor, so don't talk about ghosts inside.

He then proceeds to tell me about 7 deaths that have occurred there, the most gruesome of which was three men killed by an explosion on the 5th floor of the building across the street. Their bodies were found two days later on top of our building. The photographer sent to document the explosion went on our building to take pics and discovered them. Two suicides, the inspector having only died 7 months before, one man killed for cheating on another mans wife (he tried to make it look like an accident, a heart attack) and the last on was a trespasser on base. He was some ufo guy who snuck on base and was shot by our guards in the tool room.

Fast forward a few weeks...

After my training I began settling into my new job, but the stories my trainer had told me stuck with me. I would always hear weird noises, but I figured as long as I minded my own business the ghosts wouldn't bother me.

Whenever I encountered another worker, we would chat a bit to pass the time. Everyone was friendly enough...

One night in the break room a man came in in full Class A Uniform. He paused and glared straight at me. I stood up and introduced myself, figuring he was one of the Military guys checking on a project. He never shook my hand, he never said a word. As he glared at me, he simply vanished into thin air.

Other hauntings by Dangslow

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Utah

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Dangslow, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Dangslow (4 stories) (24 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-05)
No...no offence taken or intended.
Sometimes its tough to infer what people mean just by reading. We miss out on expressions and physical cues when we communicate by type.
I also communicate very matter-of-factly and it sometimes seems as if I'm being confrontational.
Its all good though.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-03-04)
I don't think Dangslow was trying to be rude when mentioning alcohol, merely stating a possible cause of death in the past. Or he was told this while working there. I think no matter the place of employment, there will always be "characters" and those that don't follow the rules.

Best wishes ❤
Dangslow (4 stories) (24 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-03-04)
Msforgetmenot, I don't claim to be an authority in anything but machining.
The base has been decommissioned as a military base, but still operates as a civilian facility. I have told past events exactly as they have been related.
I am not a drinker, but I have witnessed it at work before. My attitude is that as long as it doesn't affect personal safety I look the other way. There are more than a few people here who like to have a drink without their Mormon Spouses knowing. I was employed as a civilian contractor on a military contract.
Im certain your husband did a great job, but even he would admit that lots of stuff slips through the cracks.
junemoonchild (2 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-03-04)
Well, Dangsheesh, Dansglow! Thank you for posting your story. 😲💛
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-04)
Dangslow - Gotcha. Still, it's quite the experience. Not many people get to see a spirit in such a clear way. Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated!
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-03-04)
Dangslow,

Your story is interesting, but I do have a question.

Please understand my husband was 36 years in the Air Force, 4 regular, 32 years as a reservist, and an ART during the work week. He did well in his career, wearing his blues (class A). To blend both jobs it was required he work 12, twelve hour days, 5 weekdays, 2 Reserve, and 5 more weekdays. As a CMF, it was his job to make sure there was no alcohol, or for that matter, abuse of any kind, before or during work time. It was his job also, to be sure all in his squadron did their job, and did it well.

As you were not there in the old days, how did you become such an authority in past regulations, or alcohol consumption.

Jan
Dangslow (4 stories) (24 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-04)
Im the only one who has seen him so clearly. There was a man who was killed in the weld shop, he was cheating with the wife of another worker, so that worker killed him and made it look like an industrial accident. The weld shop has been active since the 50's, but I haven't ever seen anything there even though that is supposed to be the most active area.
Nobody there openly talked about it because they don't want to sound crazy.
I quit working there years ago and started working as a tooling machinist in a medical facility.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-04)
Dangslow - From what you described (feeling drained around people, preferring to work alone), it sounds like you are sensitive to energy. To me, at least, this would partly explain why and how you saw the man. Just my opinion though.

I didn't think hallucination at all. You sounded quite alert. It's kind of funny if you think about the notion of startling HIM too 😊 If your coworkers had similar experiences, it's pretty obvious that the facility was "active". Are you still there? Do you remember if any coworkers shared their experiences?

By the way, I am also a night owl and feel drained and exhausted after being around groups/crowds of people. 😊
Dangslow (4 stories) (24 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-04)
CuriousDee, its kind of strange to admit, but I feel more alert at night, mainly because I prefer to work alone. When I work with other people I get exhausted. Its like every interaction drains me. I like people, but I like them at a bit of distance, so I have always felt better working alone. That usually means night shift.
I don't believe I was hallucinating, but that's what everyone who hallucinates says. If it were some sort of lapse of sanity then it was VERY convincing!
The only others who have seen him are gaurds. The gaurds ALL have awesome ghost stories. They have those Infra Red cameras too. They have told me that our building isn't the worst one either.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-04)
Dangslow: Fascinating! I was going to ask if you were perhaps daydreaming or sleepy when this occurred, but I checked and you said you were in the break room and rose to greet him. It sounds like you were wide awake and alert. It also sounds like you startled him as well. Perhaps he wasn't expecting you either? That's quite the experience to have. It's rare to see a full apparition. Maybe you're open to these energies without realizing it? Or you were supposed to see him to open your mind to the possibilities? I could go on and on. I know you said you didn't believe before, so it's just a thought. Have you heard from others who have seen him? Regardless, it appears that he means no harm. Thanks for the clarification!
Dangslow (4 stories) (24 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-03-04)
RexT, I would have still taken the job because I didn't really believe in ghost stories. I never thought they could manifest so clearly. Besides it was a great job! I really wanted to get into that area as a way to advance my career.
The inspector had a reputation of being very detail oriented and professional, some would say he was really stubborn. He was being held responsible for some mistakes his subordinates made.
I think he was still working to clear his name. I could tell he sure didn't like me!
Dangslow (4 stories) (24 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-04)
CuriousDee, he appeared solid and normal. He moved normally. He was not wispy or see through. Funny thing, I could hear his clothing lightly rustle, but I didn't hear any footsteps. When he walked in it startled me, but only because he walked in quietly and quickly like he was in a bit of a hurry.
When he disappeared he vanished very quickly like in the blink of an eye. Like he faded out, but it only took a tenth of a second. Very fast!
It was like he didn't notice me at first, but as soon as he did he stopped and faced me.
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-03-04)
Dangslow,

Thanks for sharing your work experience. If you had of known about the building's history, would you have still applied for the job?

While on a 'Ghost Tour' of Port Arthur (Tasmania) we were told of places where tragedy and suffering of many souls leaves residual energy in walls of buildings or even in the ground.

While I did not feel anything remiss in Port Arthur, I once had to fix the phone system of the old Quarantine Station near to where I live in Sydney, Australia and there were definitely places there that tested my skeptic nature.

So I agree with lady-glow and Melda with hauntings or residual vibes. I also wonder if the ghost was one of these poor souls and do all 'newbies' get the 'once over' from the resident ghost?

Thanks Again
Rex-T
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-04)
Wow, that's intense. So he looked like a normal person? Besides him not saying anything, did you notice anything else about him? Also, when he vanished, was it immediately as in, poof (gone) or slowly disappear? Sorry for all the questions, I'm really interested. Thanks for sharing!
Dangslow (4 stories) (24 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-03-04)
Melda, when you work on an old Base, you just assume that deaths have occurred there. They didn't really have a lot of the current safety regulations they have now.
In the old days there was a lot more alcohol abuse on the job as well. Many deaths were on the road driving to and from work too.
All of the old buildings have similar stories.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-03-04)
Dangslow - Just as well you didn't know about all the violent deaths that took place before you accepted the job. Even if you didn't believe in ghosts at the time, that sort of place always carries its own special vibe and can make you feel very uncomfortable.

I wonder whether the inspector who committed suicide decided to pay an impromptu visit to check up on how things were going?

I enjoyed reading your experience.

Regards, Melda
Dangslow (4 stories) (24 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-04)
I never did learn for sure. I believe he was the inspector. He was very authoritative and professional looking. The story was that he dressed up, clocked in and enjoyed a final cup of coffee before ending his life.
It just felt like he was the guy.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-03)
Whit such a tragic history, it is no wonder that place is haunted.
Did you ever learn who the ghost was in life?

Thanks for sharing this fascinating experience.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: