You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Unseen Entity Calling Out "mom"

Real Ghost Stories

Unseen Entity Calling Out "mom"

 

It has been a few years since I last submitted a story to this website. However, in 2016, I had a personal experience that I feel is worth sharing.

This incident occurred in the spring / summer of 2016 while I was on vacation from work, visiting my mother, my grandmother, my sister, and her boyfriend in New York. The group of us had been out to eat, and we headed back to my mother's apartment afterward. On the car ride home, my sister and her boyfriend had an argument, and after we arrived, he walked off to calm down and clear his head. My mother was upset that her boyfriend had walked off, and went to go find him.

Now, picture this: My mother's apartment has a single staircase that leads up from the front door to the main floor of the apartment itself. After she left the apartment, my grandmother became worried and was standing at the top of the stairs looking down. I was standing next to her, maybe two feet away. My sister was with her baby in the living room, which was maybe only five total feet away from the top of the staircase.

As we are all standing there, I distinctly heard what sounded like my mother's voice calling out, "MOM!" The voice sounded as if it was in distress. My grandmother heard it too, because when it happened, she looked at me with genuine fear in her eyes. I immediately sprinted down the stairs, and walked outside to see what was going on, thinking that something was happening. As I walked around outside the apartment, I saw that no one was there. My mother was no where in sight, and there was not one single person around. I found this very odd.

A short time later, I found my mom probably about a quarter mile away down the road, having a conversation with my sister's boyfriend. Everything was fine, and the three of us went back to my mother's apartment. I asked her if she ever yelled out "MOM!" at any point in time when she left the apartment, and she told me she did not.

I asked my sister if she had heard what myself and my grandmother both heard after we were all back at the apartment. My sister said she did not hear anything, yet she was standing literally one to two feet away from me when I heard the voice yelling. My grandmother confirmed what I had heard, and told me she was scared because when she heard it, she thought something was wrong.

I was outside that apartment within seconds. There was no one there. Additionally, the voice sounded like it was coming from the bottom of the stairs, and not outside. There was no one at the bottom of the stairs at the time, since my mom had already left the apartment. To this day, I cannot rationally explain the voice yelling out "MOM!", or who did it. There was no television playing, and no radio playing at the time. This happened in the middle of the day as well. I think about that incident often, because it really kind of creeps me out to be honest! Any input is appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read my story.

Other hauntings by wolfhunterxx

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, wolfhunterxx, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Awake1111 (18 posts)
-1
6 years ago (2018-09-05)
Ive had this happen many times the 1st time it happened I was 16 waiting for my mom to get home we live out in the country and all the sudden I hear cara I'm home! Like she always says and she wasn't in the kitchen or anywhere she literally pulled up 7 minutes later! Then it started happening ALOT last year right before my dad died I was living with him and I would hear him say cara and he would hear me say dad to him and it was literally in our minds telepathically sometimes it was real loud like it sounded an inch from me other times it was whispering. Maybe it is our subconcious minds or maybe its a spirit just trying to test our telepathic abilities. Hopefully its not bad I never sensed it was bad.
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-06-28)
Seems to me that was probably an incident of either timeslip or a past incident being replayed. Something traumatic might have happened there in the past.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-06-28)
wolfhunterxx - My first impression is exactly the same as Augusta's. In fact it could even have been somebody on a cell phone outside who went hurrying off before you could catch a glimpse of them.

Having said that, I have on quite a few occasions heard my name being called, usually in my husband's voice, whether he is home or not. It became a bit of a grind rushing off to see if he needed help with something. Now I've learnt to distinguish between the fake voice and the real one, so I just ignore it. These weird things do happen sometimes! I put it down to attention seeking from "something".

Regards, Melda
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-06-27)
I have lived in apartments on and off for years and sometimes sound can carry very strangely inside the buildings. Before ruling this paranormal, is it at all possible that the sound could have come from a neighboring unit? Sometimes the walls within the building are of varying thickness and some can be remarkably thin. For instance, while sitting in the living room you may not be able to hear anything from next door whereas in the stairwell sounds may come through clear as a bell? Your sister may have been distracted by her baby and his/her needs.

I am not saying that this absolutely could not be paranormal - just making an alternative suggestion. If you know any of the neighbors, perhaps ask to do an experiment?

Has anything else ever happened there? Have any of your family members living in the apartment ever had any experiences there?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: