You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Strange Things Are Happening

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Things Are Happening

 

I live in a house that was built in 1938. Eighty year old houses aren't exactly my thing. So when we moved to an actual house for the first time after living in a trailer park for three years, I wasn't exactly looking forward to it.

About five years ago my dad put an old mattress in the attic and leaned it against a few boxes. We went out for lunch and when we came back a few hours later, the mattress had tipped over because we heard a crash and went to investigate.

I slept in a room right next to the attic and I always heard the door slamming shut when it was already closed. I have only been inside the attic once or twice but it is creepy as hell. The door opens and closes by itself still and I still hear scratching noises. We already checked the crawlspace to see if there were any rodents and there were none. It could've been a mouse or squirrel but I have my thoughts.

I've also experienced my TV turning on by itself. My laundry​ room had its share of activity as well like towels being thrown around by themselves and laundry soap disappearing and reappearing. I still live there today and my chandelier sometimes swings by itself.

I'm not really bothered by the disturbances although I do sleep on the couch now. I love everything about the paranormal. I have always been fascinated by ghosts. I have more encounters that I would like to share with you guys as well.

I am thinking of moving up north sometime in the future but that has nothing to do with my experiences. I believe that whatever is currently in my house is friendly and I have no reason to fear for my family or my safety. Thanks for reading!

Other hauntings by MikeChandlerOfficial

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MikeChandlerOfficial, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Jaxxxanator (3 stories) (11 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-07-25)
I agree with many observations and comments made, an old house is literally living history, the best way to get to know it is to research:) have you ever tried sepaking out loud to the ghost? Perhaps it wants to communicate but doesn't want to scare you. If that is the case, its very sweet and considerate, seeing a ghost out of nowhere would make even the strongest of believers among us jump with fright hahahaha, so it has spared you a "fright'. Polite that it returns items as well. Does it prefer any room in particular to make its presence known? If it does, that can help with reasearching possible answers who they are. Either way, at least you have a friendly ghost and living in a beautiful home:) may you continue to co-exist peacefully:)
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-07-18)
Old houses are the best ❤ granted, I am biased 😊 But, though they may not be your favorite - if its the paranormal you are interested in, old houses certainly do have their advantages!

If you are not concerned by the activity, why are you sleeping on the couch? Have you considered doing any research on the property?
MikeChandlerOfficial (2 stories) (7 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-15)
Thanks guy123,

Glad you enjoyed it. I have a sequel coming out soon about the house my grandmother lived in. Be sure to check that one out as well when it's published.

Mike
guy123 (2 stories) (36 posts)
-1
6 years ago (2018-07-15)
Good story! I do have similar experiences and its always entertain me
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-15)
Hi there Mike,

I'm glad you know where to get help if needed. Scientific aspects... 😊 I guess that's true in some cases. I've had my share of strange incidents and 'things that go bump in the night', but learned along the way that some scenarios can be explained by pests, drafts, voices carrying, etc.

I think it's important to rule out rational possibilities before moving onto paranormal. Otherwise, we end up scaring ourselves needlessly. Glad you understand. 😊

All the best,
Dee
MikeChandlerOfficial (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-07-14)
Thanks Dee,

I appreciate your help in the matter. In regards to a cleansing, I know of a priest near where I live who is highly experienced with things of demonic nature (not that I'm saying that's what this is) so I will consider contacting him if things start to spiral out of control. As of right noe only small things happen. Like I said, I'm not bothered by the experiences and I feel like whatever is there doesn't intend to hurt me or my family. I respect the fact that you love to look in the scientific aspects of the case before moving on to the psychic or paranormal aspects. Anyways, thanks again for the help!

Sincerely,
Mike Chandler
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-07-14)
Hi Mike,

As far as the mattress falling over, maybe it was balanced precariously, causing it to topple over? The door opening and closing... Is it slamming shut or closing slowly/lightly? I'm wondering if a draft or air pressure from other doors and windows being opened/closed may be causing it to close, but not 'catch' the latch?

The scratching sounds without evidence of rodents sounds unnerving. Likewise the tv being turned on and towels being thrown around. Have you considered a house cleansing? I know you mentioned you feel it's friendly but if you change your mind, there is a member here who has a great cleansing on his profile page used by many people. Here's a link to Rook's page:

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/user-profile.php?user=8155

Or you can research a cleansing you feel comfortable with. There are lots of options out there.

Thanks for sharing 😊
Dee

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: