You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Man Cave Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Man Cave Ghost

 

This account is mainly the stories my family members have shared as well as family friends. I have had one experience with this particular ghost myself, but it was pretty brief (obviously names are changed and not actual names, aside from the ghost's nickname).

The house I live in was built in the mid 50s. The house is essentially the same as the day it was finished back then. Hardwood floors, awkward shaped hallway, kitchen with the stove in the counter and the oven in the wall, and so on. The basement is half finished, the garage is built directly into the basement beneath my parents' room, then there is a sliding barn door that leads to the laundry room, which also has a half bath. There's a giant room you can access from the garage and the laundry room which has a fireplace and was originally the first owner's man cave. I'm going to call him by his actual nickname, because I actually do not know his real name. We call him Papi. Papi had a bar attached to his man cave, and said bar is also still there.

The first account I can recall of Papi was my sister's fiance. My older sister Tina moved in with her fiance, Scott. Scott was honorably discharged from the Marines after he did two tours of Afghanistan and one tour in Africa. He was blown up twice in the process, has bad hearing in one ear, PTSD, and so on and so forth. They had been living in North Carolina, but once he was discharged, they moved back here to Connecticut to find somewhere to live. My mom offered them the empty basement room to stay in while they find a house. Scott was laying in bed, playing on his xbox. The rest of us were upstairs in the kitchen and living room. Scott's account was that he saw a man walk past the door in the laundry room. He saw the man again twice that night after. And we're pretty sure it was Papi. Because it is a known fact that Papi is in the house.

Fast forward, Scott and Tina moved out and into an apartment. My oldest sister Kari moved in after she broke up with a long abusive boyfriend. So she was living in the basement room. One night, she looks up and sees a man standing in the doorway watching her. She freaked out, but wasn't afraid. She was pretty sure he was just curious.

Now, onto mine. We have a wood burning stove in the basement attached to the fireplace so that we can heat the house in the winter. (We do have oil and that heats up water that heats the house, but using the wood burning stove saves us money.) So I was downstairs putting wood on the fire. I turned to grab some more wood and looked up, Papi was standing there in the doorway watching me. He quickly disappeared after that.

He smoked a pipe, and his choice of tobacco was a fruity flavor and smelling type, which I find myself getting a face full of every now and then, sometimes inside the house, sometimes on the property. His old knife shop is actually in our back yard as well, and is collapsing. (His son (my landlord) was offered by multiple museums, including the Smithsonian, to take the shop and all the items in it, but he refused.) I do have a few blades from the shop actually in the house, my mom and I gathered them when we first moved in. I don't see Papi as being negative. I have had negative experiences, but... Generally the house I live in gives me very positive feelings. I honestly think Papi is protecting the house and my family.

Also, since my mother put Papi's favorite beer in the basement, half of a six pack of it, we have not seen him since. And, the beer has actually gone missing. We cannot find it.

Other hauntings by bresys

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Connecticut

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, bresys, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-07-18)
I am in complete swooning love for his house! I hope no one ever ruins it with modernization ❤

Papi sounds like an interesting character to have around the house and a good one. Odd that the descendants were unwilling to let his work be remembered in the Smithsonian. Maybe that is part of why he has stuck around - to be remembered.

I think Zaruje is on to something with the notion that Papi may have a protective instinct towards those who have suffered. And I really like Temilicious's idea of leaving out the beer!
bresys (9 stories) (16 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-07-16)
CuriousDee -

I don't think he's moved on, the knocking (from my other story.) has continued and I've started to hear a man talking when I'm home alone and the tv is off. I'm still not afraid, because I do believe all of it may, in fact, be connected back to him. And it's just his way of reassuring us.

Jubeele -

I love your mother's take. My family is very tight, we've never really had any huge turmoil between us, (I have four siblings and my mother and father are still married. And we've had arguments but we're a very, very close family), so I like to think that could be attracting Papi to come around.

And I'd probably die if anyone ever posted something about some Pabst Blue Ribbon showing up in their house. But die from laughter. 😆

Zaruje -

As for the trauma, that could be very possible. I've only ever heard him or felt his presence, and no one else in my family aside from the two have ever seen him. I've got to admit that is starting to be apparent now.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-07-15)
Jubeele,

I love your mother's take on houses attracting energy... 'Like attracts like'. I agree 😊

Zaruje,

That is a great question and a strong possibility too. Very interesting 😊

- Dee
Zaruje (15 stories) (182 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-15)
Hi there! Is it possible that "papi" showed himself to your sister's finace and to your other sister because of the trauma that they've experienced? (abusive boyfriend and war environments).

Anyways, you said the house gave you positive feelings and if "papi" does protect the house and your family then we're good.

Thanks for sharing 😁 😁
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-07-15)
My mother believes that all homes eventually attract a house spirit. She thinks its the cumulative effect from all the life energies that the inhabitants generate over the years. If it's a happy home, it'll attract friendlies; if the family is going through troubled times, the ghosties may cause trouble with poltergeist-type activities.

But I'm glad to know Papi gives you a positive feeling and he's a guardian for you. He seems like a strong manifestation since so many of you actually saw him. The Man Cave sounds like a cool place, no wonder he doesn't want to budge from it. 😊

Not sure about what could've happened to the beer though. Maybe he shared it with other friends? There could be another ghost site somewhere in the world with an account of how they have mysteriously appearing beer! 😲 🍻
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-07-14)
Bresys,

Your title made me giggle. Of course a man stayed with his 'Man Cave'. 😉 Papi sounds like a nice, down to earth person... Maybe he was just keeping an eye on his property and belongings? Hopefully, he realized he could move on to bigger and better things. 😊

Thanks for sharing ❤
Dee
bresys (9 stories) (16 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-13)
lady-glow:

Haha! Well, my family has been part of the fire department for a very, very long time. His nickname was Papi in the department, and I am sure my parents know his real name, but I don't. He died before I was born, or before I was old enough to remember.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-07-13)
"I'm going to call him by his actual nickname, because I actually do not know his real name. We call him Papi"

" my mother and father actuallt knew Papi when he was alive. And had spent a lot of their lives around him"❓❓

... I guess I'm not the only one that could have known some people for years and years and never learned their names... At least your parents remembered the important details like Papi's favorite beer! 😜
bresys (9 stories) (16 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-07-13)
Thanks for the comments!

Lady-glow:

Ironically my mother and father actuallt knew Papi when he was alive. And had spent a lot of their lives around him and the town I live in. So it is their first hand account. 😊
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-07-13)
How do you know what beer was Papi's favorite? Should I assume that you talked to the landlord about his father still staying at his old place?

Anyway, I'm glad you and your family are getting along with Papi.

Thanks for sharing.
Temilicious (7 stories) (99 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-07-13)
I'm having so much fun with the latest posts.

Greetings,

I just had a picture of Papi passed out in his knife shop. Lol

Seriously though, in my culture, am native South African, we usually put African beer or regular alcohol out for our ancestors, and depending on how thirsty they are, the alcohol either disappears overnight, or the level gradually goes down over a certain period, again, depending on their thirst. And no, not evaporation. Its quite cool to witness.

Spirits are alive just not in their physical form, so, although they don't hunger or thirst, they do enjoy indulging in things like smoking and drinking which they did whilst on earth.

Maybe next time you guys can leave him some of his fave tobacco. Think he'd appreciate that.

Nice story, Papi sounds like and interesting character.

Thanks.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: