You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Spirits Are Around

Real Ghost Stories

Spirits Are Around

 

They say things come in threes, and that held true for me when I experienced a trio of weird events while living on Florida's Gulf Coast back in 1989.

A lot was going on then: my fiancé and I had both suffered broken marriages before marrying and moving into her old home. A difficult six-month long remodeling process that left us drained and stressed out soon followed. After completion, moving back into our "new", near half-century-old home was hard on us, but it had gone smoothly, and with a planned week off to recharge only a few days away, things were looking up.

I took the two days off prior to our Friday departure to clean up some urgent work, clear my schedule for the week, and cross off last minute to dos for the trip. My planning was sound, but nothing could have prepared me for what was in store.

A little about the house: it was located on a serene, shady, wooded acre at the end of a private road, a gem that was hard to come by in our densely populated county. Stately live oaks and citrus trees made it very special. An old "cracker" cabin that backed up to a stand of mature bamboo stood on the edge of the property. Whomever lived in it back then, surely had led a hard life. The owner/builder had lived in it before he sold it to a wonderful old couple. Many years later they agreed to sell it to my wife-to-be, and she was lucky to get it.

Wednesday Morning: My wife had left for work, and I was having coffee when I heard a familiar knocking. That would be my in-laws, as usual, I thought. They lived in a home adjacent to our property and announced any visit with three knocks on the window next to the side door into our kitchen. This time when I stood up to go let them in it hit me; they had left town a few days before to visit relatives out of state, so who was knocking? I rushed to the door, and was dumbfounded that no one was there.

Wednesday Evening: After my wife came home from work, we went to the mall to buy items for the trip. We then ate an early dinner out, so we could get a head start on packing when we got home. A host put us in a corner booth with only a handful of other patrons around, but nobody nearby. We happily sipped our drinks and chatted about the adventure ahead. Suddenly, I felt three taps on my shoulder, and I swung around to see whom it was. I was surprised to find no one there or even close by. When I turned back around my wife asked what was going on, so I told her about the tapping. She said that my body language fit exactly what my explanation suggested. The thing is, she was facing me and could clearly see that nobody was there.

Thursday Morning: After seeing my wife off to her job, work in my new home office went well, but I ran into a glitch. I desperately needed a certain file to finish up; it was a blue folder, and easy to spot, or so I thought. The file held all my notes and the only copy of a speech I had written for my boss, who had to have it that afternoon. I wrote it over the previous three weeks, and after one final review and edit, it would be finished, but if I didn't meet the boss's deadline, I would be finished. There wasn't enough time to recreate it without blowing our vacation, so I searched feverishly everywhere, but no luck. I prayed to find it, and as a last resort, I knelt to check a shelf under my desk where I found a paper I needed later, but no blue file. Disgusted, I reached up and slapped the single sheet down on the desktop above, and broke for lunch.

When I returned to my office later, I sat down at my desk and decided to call my wife. I was desperate and maybe she knew something about the missing file. I reached for the phone, and got the shock of my life when I did; THE BLUE FILE WAS SITTING IN THE MIDDLE OF MY DESK! An electric charge shot up my spine and my eyes locked wide open searching the room for an answer as to how the file got there. I had a bad case of butterflies, and truly, the hair on the back of my neck stood up. My hands instinctively grasped the top of my head as it shook back and forth in disbelief, and I mumbled "No way!". How did the file get there, and how could the paper I had slapped down on the desktop a bit earlier, be underneath? It was totally unnatural, and scary.

Could these events have simple explanations? I suppose. Even though I swear I heard the sound of knocking at the window, it could have been various random house noises, and my imagination taking over. Could the taps on my shoulder have been nothing more than muscle twitches even though it felt genuinely like a person was doing it? Maybe, but as for the blue file - no way can I explain that! No one knew what I was doing in my office that morning except me, and nobody else was in the house. I did not find, touch, or move any blue file and yet it appeared on my desk. Files do not move themselves, so how could that happen?

For the remainder of time we lived in that house, the area by the entrance to my office always felt colder than other rooms, even though there was no A/C vent nearby, or any other known cold air source.

Maybe the renovation project had disturbed a friendly spirit who wanted me to know they were still around by reaching out, and doing me a big favor to save my job. For that, I will be forever grateful. In any case, we have since moved to another city and maybe the spirit (s) moved on too. Nothing eerie, unusual, or unexplained has happened since then, but if it did, I would not be too surprised. I believe that spirits are around!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, pressen, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

pressen (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-10)
DeliverDawn, having lived the experience myself, I would never doubt their abilities. I'm relieved to know that others like you share the same belief. Thanks for your comment.
Pressen
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-06)
Hi Pressen,

I'm with Rex-T, renovations seem to stir up activity. I grew up in an 'active house' which always seemed to be undergoing some sort of renovation (my father did and still does most of the work himself). I've experienced exactly what you've described... Objects missing, only to turn up in a place you've searched, tapping, etc. I've felt my shirt and hair tugged too (interestingly, this has happened at my house now, and appears to be random).

Rex-T - You might want to try asking aloud for whatever is missing to be returned in a polite tone. For some reason, it has worked for me. I don't know why, I'm just glad it does. 😊

Thanks for sharing,
Dee
Twilight1011 (9 stories) (315 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-05)
Welcome to YGS, and thank you for sharing your experience with us. My husband and I have also had some of the same experiences happen to us. Just 2 month's ago, we were outside star gazing, in the woods where we live, and couldn't shake the feeling of being watched, and then my husband felt something tap him on the shoulder, thinking it was me at first, but realized no one was behind him. He tried to write it off that it was possibly a muscle spasm too, but couldn't shake how it felt like someone tapped him. We've also dealt with our things going missing, just to find it where we've searched many times before. It really does make you feel crazy, and second guess yourself a lot when these things happen. At least like your experience, whatever is doing it, doesn't seem to be bad or anything. More like an annoying prankster lol
DeliverDawn (5 stories) (45 posts)
 
5 years ago (2018-11-05)
Hi Pressen,

I used to believe, for whatever reason, that it was impossible for spirits and other entities to move physical objects. 😆 After similar things have happened to me and friends, I know now that that's not the case at all.

Nevertheless, this is such an interesting event. Thank you for sharing it with us x
pressen (1 stories) (2 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-05)
Rex-T, Annoying and astonishing! I was not a believer until then.

It was looking very grim before the file magically appeared, and that was disconcerting. A lot was on the line, but after the fact, my big question was who was did it?

I hadn't thought about the possibility of more than one spirit. Good point. I also have assumed that the disruption and catalyst for the events was the house renovation, but there's no proof to go on.

Maybe it will all make sense one day, and I'll keep looking for answers. I appreciate your comments and kind review.

Regards,
Pressen
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2018-11-04)
pressen,

Welcome to YGS.

An intriguing and somewhat annoying experience all round.

I've heard and felt the tapping that you described and being a natural born skeptic, I too came to the same conclusion, in light of the the fact that there was very little evidence available.

However, I empathize with you on the wandering blue folder, as lately my wife and now I seem to be experiencing something similar, which is now becoming annoying. It seems the more important the item is, the more effort one puts into retrieving it, the more annoying it becomes.

I like your theory about the renovations stirring something up that is linked to the property. It could have been two spirits (at cross purposes) or one spirit carrying out both deeds to get your attention.

A really good read.

Thanks
Rex-T

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: