You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Back Room

Real Ghost Stories

The Back Room

 

When I was a preschooler, we moved to a shadowy house surrounded by a creek. Bay trees grew close, hugging the house and making the rooms darker. The front of the house contained a main living room with a wood stove and two bedrooms that were very small. Down a small step was the kitchen. Off of that was a small hallway with a bathroom and the back bedroom. It was the largest room in the house and that is where my parents put me.

As soon as I was settled in, things began to happen. At first they were small things, an uneasiness making it difficult to play alone. I started to have nightmares that left me shaking and screaming for my dad.

As the time went by, I began to see shadows that writhed across the floor, along the baseboards, or on the ceiling along the walls. I was afraid at night.

One night I woke from a nightmare to see two perfect balls of light that danced independently from one another. They floated down by my bed and lined up on the wall like a pair of eyes, looking at me. I was so scared, I put my head under the covers. Soon I had trouble breathing from being stuck under the blankets, so I very carefully reached my hand out to create a hole in the blankets so I could breathe. Eventually, I fell asleep that way.

Another time, I woke and found a stain-like shadow on the wall that appeared to be some kind of animal face. Once again, I flung the covers over my head. The next day the mark was gone. I didn't see it again, but I did see the balls of light, over and over.

Things got worse. A sudden pounding would occur, coming from the ceiling at the corner of the room. There was an apartment over my room, locked with no-one living in it. I wonder if it came from there. Amorphous forms, white and twisted flowed down from the ceiling when it happened. I wondered why my parents never heard the noises.

The covers on my bed were thrown off, at times. I began to wind them around my body to keep them in place and I do that to this day.

I tried to tell my parents, but they never believed me.

The events happened until I was eight and I was moved into my brother's room at the front of the house. Soon, we moved away.

I visited the house years later as an adult, bringing my husband with me. It was a home daycare and newly remodeled. A little girl slept in the back room. I asked the owner if she was comfortable in the house and she said yes.

To this day I have no idea what it was that tormented me. I have seen things and experienced things I can't explain, but nothing as horrible as that time period in my life.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Fairyhead, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fairyhead (1 stories) (3 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-02-15)
hi Augusta. Hi Nectarvore. I was wondering about the water as well. I feel that it was significant, since the house was surrounded on three sides by the creek. I remember going down there once or twice (even though I was told not to) and I felt uneasy.
Was it stronger during certain times of the year? I don't know. I was so young, it felt like it was happening all the time. Maybe it was worse during Winter. I remember how cold it always was in that room.
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-01-30)
Hey Fairyhead

I think Augusta makes two interesting points, the water being a conduit for the haunting and the land itself being haunted.

I find places built near water have a more powerful charge.
I read somewhere once that spirits use water or electricity as a conduit, because they are both elements that spirits can manipulate.

An ex of mine lived near a waterfall and forest, the bottom of the falls was haunted and I always felt that whatever was down there could not cross the water and was confined to the falls.

Until the rainy season when there was mist so thick you couldn't drive in it, and I could feel that spirit in the yard. Not the house, because it was protected, but I could feel it outside.
My feeling was that with enough water in the air, the spirit could range further afield from its place of power.

I wonder if the presence you felt was tied to the water?

Was it stronger in certain times of the year?

It's a shame your parents did not believe you.
When I was a kid I though my parents didn't believe me either, but, when I was older they both said they had, and did, but didn't want to make me more scared.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-01-28)
Could be that during the intervening years, some resident did a cleansing or something of the sort and it worked. I would imagine your room was most effected possibly because it was an addition -changes to a property can often stir up spirit activity or perhaps it was built over something sacred (anything from a burial to a fairy mound to a tree that may have been inhabited by an elemental etc). The running water may have helped fuel the haunting -many view it as a type of battery.

It always makes me sad to hear of parents that don't believe their kids. I am glad you are out of the situation. ❤
Fairyhead (1 stories) (3 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-01-28)
Hello Haven. I didn't do any research on the house. I do know it was owned by my grandparents. The room I slept in was an add-on and it's walls were not sheet rock. Just fiberboard or something like that. There was no insulation and the walls were thin. I talked to my mom and she said she moved me into my brother's room because rats were chewing through the walls of my room and getting inside. Perhaps that was part of the problem.
Nowadays, when I talk about the house, my parents are more understanding and are starting to respect my experiences.
Melda, thank you for your support. Yes, I will try to write more of my experiences for you.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-01-26)
Fairyhead - Events such as you describe make for a very scary childhood. The problem is that the parents and other family members don't experience these things so it is difficult for them to understand and of course they try to find logical reasons because "there is no such thing as a ghost".

I saw and experienced a lot of paranormal activity as a child and our house was constantly echoing with my screams at night. This was all put down to nightmares.

At least being older you now have a different perspective and insight.

Please share more of your experiences.

Regards, Melda
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-01-25)
Hi Fairyhead,

I'm so sorry you had to go through this as a little girl. I was able to relate to your story as I went through something similar at a young age. I do not understand why parents don't believe their kids when they are told of something like this. I'm glad your family moved and you weren't there for too long.

Have you done any research on the history of the house? I hope whatever was there is now gone and the little girl that lives there now is not being tormented.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: