You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Rabbit In The Back Seat

Real Ghost Stories

The Rabbit In The Back Seat

 

Someone had shared an Easter bunny experience on this sight, an it reminded me of an experience my son had. He's not the only one.

My son was in his teens. He was very troubled as he had just lost a brother to suicide and mom,me, lost her mind.

He had left home and I spent a great deal of time in search of him. I would bring him home only for him to leave again.

While on his own, it was a non-stop party. Those were scary days. He would call me some times terrified. He had done too much of a drug and I would talk him down. He would tell me he loved me, but wouldn't come home.

I digress. He and his best friend often attended raves. Of which my generation ushered in and out children are dying in.

Anyway, at one of these raves, he noticed a man with a black rabbit head. He thought he was just tripping and continued his activities.

Thru the night he noticed the rabbit seemed to be every where he was and seemed to just stand motionless watching him. It unnerved him but he still thought it a hallucination.

The two boys met a couple of really nice guys that asked for a ride home that night. If you have not been to rave, this would be pretty common. The ecstasy makes people very friendly. You have a sense of unity and connecting. It would be very beautiful if it wasn't induced by a dangerous drug.

My son noticed the rabbit seemed to be with the 2 men. So he thought maybe he wasn't hallucinating after all.

Their guests sat in the back seat with the rabbit being sandwiched by the 2 men.

My son drove. He got a really bad feeling. He would glance up and that rabbit would be staring back with black eyes. Not eyes of a mask but living eyes.

They chatted with the 2 men all the way to their destination.

When they arrived to drop the men off, they turned to say good bye and no one was in the back seat. No one ever got out of the vehicle. The men were gone and the rabbit. Just vanished into thin air.

The 2 boys compared notes trying to make sense of what just happened.

They both agreed that there were 2 men, they both had the same description and name for the men. They confirmed the discussions they were having with the men was the same.

They were dumb founded. They didn't feel anything negative from the men they also agreed. They seemed almost protective.

As they drove home my son's best friend says, " I don't know if they were ghost or angels, but they were cool. It was that damn rabbit with them that scared the piss out of me. That's why I would not turn to talk to them because that rabbit was staring back at me.!" He laughed and continued "I'm just hallucinating that part tho right?"

My son confirmed he too saw it. Their descriptions matched and they both noticed it at the rave.

They agreed that the rabbit was something very bad and had bad intentions. They agreed it is pretty far fetched they had the same hallucination with so many variables. The men appeared at the end of the night. They believe the men asked for the ride to protect them from whatever it is they saw.

There are other reports that are not all drug induced of seeing this thing and all say it's bad. He is even reported to be a glitch seen in certain games. He isn't supposed to be there. He is not part of the program but yet there he is. I've seen him myself in a game with my kids. It was very eerie to say the least.

Other hauntings by oraclemache

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, oraclemache, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-07-04)
I am getting somewhat of a "Donnie Darko" meets creepy pasta vibe here. It is possible for two people (or more) to have the sams hallucination and many such cases have been reported - with similar drug cocktails and stimuli experienced by both young men, I would say the possibility of such an experience would only increase.
oraclemache (2 stories) (11 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-06-23)
I am so sorry everyone for taking so long to answer. I don't know if tags work here but going to give it a shot.
[at] RCRuskin
I don't know why it has me listed as a young adult. I will go and look at my profile again to see why.
I have never seen Watership down.
My son's best friend would not look in the back seat during the ride because the rabbit was scaring him. My son was driving. He could only glance up and view them in the rearview. When they pulled up to the location to drop them. They turned to tell the men goodbye but no one was there. I apologize for lack of description but it is all that was told to me.
Yes, I have heard stories about ghost hitchhiker, but these guys were at the rave.
Biblio, I don't think I am middle-aged, but I will look at the profile again and list it as such if necessary. I guess it never crossed my mind that it was an issue.

Trentinray okay thank you, then yes that is why I am not 40 yet.
Lucia, it has been quite some time ago on the video game. I will ask my kids if they remember which one it was.
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-05-31)
I find this account really weird and intriguing. I don't even know what to say. It's possible that the rabbit was real. The last part, I'd like more details...you've seen this in a game too? What did it look like? Which game?
RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-05-26)
I'll be there too, but probably singing "Jesus' brother Bob." So, it'll be easy to meet up.

Now, back to this ghostly experience.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-05-26)
R.C.:

I'll be the guy in the coaster line singing Jimmy Buffet's "A Pirate Looks at Forty." 😆

-Biblio.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-05-26)
Biblio and Trentinray, I did not intend to 'cast aspersions' on anyone about when they had children. But something about the age groups on this site seems off to me.:)

And, yes, Biblio, like the ocean, I have many secrets.:)

As for furriness, RCRuskin, my nom-de-digital-life started out as Roller Coaster Raccoon. So if you and I happen to be at an amusement park at the same time, you'll know where to look for me. 😊
trentinray (3 stories) (67 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-05-26)
I think the site puts the young adult status tell your 40. I have a twenty year old and I'm still listed as a young adult. Of course now when it changes everyone will know I turned 40 😭 lol
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-05-26)
Oraclemache: I hope you don't mind an interruption from me as I address one or two points RC raised.

I'm a "middle aged" adult by the YGS reckoning, which is fine by me; my dad always said I was born middle-aged. My mother turned 20 two months after she gave birth to my little brother. He now would qualify as "middle-aged" and he has 3 boys under the age of 6. I remember in high school, at least 3 girls in my class had to arrange baby-sitters for their children during Senior year final exams; at our 20th Class Reunion, one of these women (roughly 37 or 38 years old) had to leave about half-way through dinner, as she had to babysit her grandson while her daughter worked the night-shift. I currently have a couple of students in their early teens whose fathers are in their late sixties or early seventies, though their mothers are somewhat younger (mid 40s-to early-50s).

I am not passing judgement upon any of these persons --with the exception of my own parents-- as life has a habit of upending people's plans. The apparent age discrepancy in this tale is, from my perspective, the least-troublesome detail.

This was just a quick thought. I sincerely hope I did not offend anyone, especially RC, whose comments and translations of my rapid-fire thoughts have proven invaluable in the past.

As for the other points RC raised, I'm conflicted about them, too.

(Sidebar: you helped a *professional* furry build some costumes? You're a dark horse --metaphorically speaking-- aren't you! 😜)

Best,
Biblio.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-05-26)
I will admit to being confused by many points in this narrative. So confused am I, in fact, that I don't even know where to begin with questions.

There is also the fact you're listed as a 'young adult' but you also speak of your teenage son. That just doesn't seem to fit, and no offense is meant against you or this website that hosts us. 😁

Though not mentioned in the title, I immediately got the impression of a black rabbit character involved and flashbacked to the novel Watership Down. The rabbits' deity of death as presented in that novel is named the Black Rabbit of Inle. Thus came my first impression from reading of your son's experience. So far as I know, real rabbits do not have their own deities and modes of worship, but then I never asked any rabbits about this.

My second thoughts on this experience involve furries, a weird subculture, sometimes counterculture, involving a fondness for animals with human characteristics, either in shape, or intelligence, or some other aspect. (As an aside, Richard Adams, author of Watership Down wrote two other novels with animals as main characters: Traveller, the US Civil War as experienced by Robert E. Lee's horse, and The Plague Dogs, about some animals in a science laboratory, and VERY disturbing. If you can, read the British edition as the US one is too watered down.)

Back to the point: among furries, there is a group called fursuitors who make some very realistic looking costumes. I recently saw a dragon's head with the smoke unit from either a model railroad locomotive or an ecig device, and lcd screens for eyes that can blink and look around. So, I thought, this black human-rabbit is with these two other guys, they might be furries. Real-eyes can be explained easily by the tech some folks use to make fursuits. I once shared an apartment with someone who did this as a side job and helped him build a few suits.

So, as it came time to leave this Rave, these two men, or was it three (two men and a rabbit or three men one in a costume) asked for a ride. I assume they gave directions and your son drove to the indicated address. What stands out most to me at this point is a lack of description where the passengers were found to have vanished.

Because at this point, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanishing_hitchhiker comes immediately to mind.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: