You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Premonition Of Dog's Death?

Real Ghost Stories

Premonition Of Dog's Death?

 

I currently live in Leicester, UK in a house share. For part of the week (usually weekends) my housemate looks after Pippin - a 16 and a half (yes, what an age!) little Terrier cross dog for his friends. Even though I have only lived there since March, I have taken to this little dog and his mischievous ways and will often walk him, feed him etc. On Sunday 16th June my housemate and Pippin's owners plus some others went to Spain for the week. They asked me if I could look after Pippin for the Sunday and then another friend was taking him for the week as I had work and would be out of the house for long hours and so unable to look after him. Of course I said yes!

So that Sunday after doing some chores, I took Pippin for a short walk, came back, dropped him back at home and went out on some errands for an hour or so. On my return Pippin was upstairs asleep as was usual when no one is in the house. By this point some of my washing I had hung out was dry, so I went out to the garden to get it in. I looked back at the door (conservatory doors with large panels of glass in them) and clearly saw Pippin in the doorway through the glass. The doors were semi closed as although it was bright and sunny, it was slightly windy and the wind had blown them. I said hello then a few seconds later walked to the door to see if he wanted to come outside to pee (he sometimes needs help down the step due to his legs and often needs to pee as he has age related kidney problems).

I got to the door and Pippin wasn't there! I walked through the kitchen, checked the living room and no sign of him. Walking up the stairs I was shocked to find him laid down on the landing. Distance wise (only approximates) it is 20 feet from the part of the garden where I was to the doors, then another 15/20 feet to the foot of the stairs (one flight). I estimate it took me no longer than 30 seconds from 'seeing' him to actually getting to him. I say I was shocked because as he is an old dog with short legs, he doesn't move fast. It also takes him a while to get up/down stairs. In fact, when he will let us we prefer to carry him up or down them to save him getting tired as it's a lot of effort. He didn't appear to be out of breath or panting. I guess it isn't impossible that it was actually him, but my gut feeling tells me it wasn't. I simply don't think he could move that fast to get through the house and back up the stairs in that short amount of time. To add, when he's aware someone is in the house he would usually stay downstairs to see if any food/treats are forthcoming! I don't know what made me feel this, but when I didn't see him downstairs, as I was walking up the stairs I was worried I would find him dead. I guess my brain just couldn't process him moving that fast and knew that what I saw through the glass wasn't the real Pippin?

I guess my story gets stranger with the news that today (26th June) sadly Pippin will be put to sleep later today. It's making me think back to the 16th and I wonder if he was out of body (if this is even possible for animals?) Was this something to do with his decline? Did he die and then 'come back'? If any readers have any thoughts I would be interested to read them. Whether the 16th was Pippin in another form or not, I do hope I see Pippin in the house again very soon.

Other hauntings by Natters

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Natters, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

i-have-a-crush-on-firestar (1 stories) (24 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-02-23)
this is so so sad, yes, I do believe dog's can leave their body's and come back, I beileve that's exactly what pippin did
Natters (2 stories) (9 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-11-26)
Thank you everyone for your kind comments and I apologise it's taken a while for me to get back to you. Pippin was certainly special.

Lady-glow - no I haven't had any dreams (that I can remember) about Pippin. I told my housemate about the experience and he laughed and said 'imagine two Pippins, that would be a handful!' 😆 I will have to relay the story to his owners.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-08-21)
I imagine a dog that old have learned a lot of tricks during his life, why astral projection couldn't be one of them?
Perhaps Pippin was fully aware that someone had arrived and his consciousness went to check around leaving behind his achy body.

Have you seen/dreamed about Pippin since his passing? Have you shared this experience with the dog's family? It's possible that you're not the only one who has seen him in his ethereal form.
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-08-21)
This is so sad. Poor Pippin. I love this story. I think it was a sort of warning that Pippin was about to pass. It made you start thinking of him dying and in some way you began to process his loss. It's hard losing loved ones.
Twilight1011 (9 stories) (308 posts)
+4
5 years ago (2019-08-21)
Natters, I don't think anyone can really tell you for sure what you experienced that day, but can only just give an opinion on what it may have been. With that said, as far as my opinion on it goes, I believe it possibly could have been the dog having an out of body experience perhaps. Given the dogs age, and not being able to get around like he use to, he could have went where he wanted to go (that being to the door you saw him at), for whatever reason, out of body, since it's most likely easier for him to move around the way he wants to. I could be way off on that theory, as it's just a guess, but I don't think humans are the only ones that are capable of having out of body experiences. So who knows. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of this loved pet, and do hope you find comfort in knowing that he's most likely very happy now, running around the way he use to, and knowing just how loved he truly was by so many that got to know him 😊
Natters (2 stories) (9 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-08-21)
Can anyone shed any light on this? It's been nearly 2 months since we lost Pippin 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: