You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: The In-between

Real Ghost Stories

The In-between

 

My story happened recently and it puzzles me. Not sure it's actually paranormal but I will let you decide.

My bedroom has 2 windows with room darkening curtains. I sleep with a fan set on hurricane speed to drown out any outside noise and my bedroom door was closed. I'm not sure what time this occurred but I woke up and looked toward the window/curtain on the right side of my bed. I saw a bright light about the size of a tennis ball. It wasn't solid but seemed to have texture and a certain glow to it. This light didn't move and I didn't "feel" anything negative from it.

My thought was, it was my "guardian" and I'm not sure if I said, "Thank you" out loud or thought it. I rolled over facing away from this light and went back to sleep. I didn't wait for it to disappear because I was so tired.

If it was my "guardian", was it checking on me? That was also a thought I had.

I should also mention my dog was sleeping at the foot of the bed and I don't think he reacted at all. When I woke up later I wondered if I was actually awake when this occurred or was this the in-between. I'm sure some people can relate to the in-between. I don't know what else to call it but it's the place where you're not really asleep but not really awake. I've found I have the most vivid dreams in this state. It's almost like there's more clarity to my thoughts sometimes in this place and I've felt an Out of Body experience. I know it sounds crazy and just maybe I really am dreaming and there is no in-between. I'm open to your opinions, whatever they may be. Thank you for reading!

Other hauntings by Suzy2

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Suzy2, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Suzy2 (5 stories) (17 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-06-18)
lady-glow,

I agree that a person's awareness is peak during the "in-between" time. I'm terrible at keeping a journal but have certainly had some vivid dreams.
Thank you for responding.
Suzy2 (5 stories) (17 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-06-18)
Lealeigh, thank you for your kind words. When my mom was more coherent, (last week) she was talking to my dad who passed 10 years ago so I'm hoping she's getting close now. We've all told her it's ok to go. We know she misses dad. I think this experience with the ball of light and some of the dreams I'm experiencing have to do with my mom. Possibly because of all the emotions involved and my outlet is my dreams? Just a thought.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-06-17)
Suzy,

I am so sorry about your mother. When my grandmother passed in 2016, she also was suffering from dementia. It was terrible for us to see her so afraid and incoherent when she had been such a strong person all of her life. In fact, I was afraid of her as a child. My grandmother spent a lot of the time she was dying in an in-between state.

What you say makes sense. I had never thought of my grandmother's state of mind, at the time of her death, as anything but a forced delirium. But, if it's similar to being half awake, then that is not so bad. While she was dying, my grandmother said that her mother was there to take her with her. I think that was true - and your experience with the light might not be a dream either.
Suzy2 (5 stories) (17 posts)
+8
4 years ago (2020-06-17)
Thank you all for responding. Lealeigh, I haven't experienced sleep paralysis to date but I've certainly felt the veil of the "in between" is less solid when I wake during the night and then fall back to sleep. I would also like to mention my mother is in the final stages of dementia. She's completely bed ridden and hospice is involved. My sister is her primary care giver since I live a thousand miles away. I've dreamed a lot about my mom recently and I've heard when someone has dementia or Alzheimer's they are in between our world and the next. In fact, last night I dreamed that she passed and I hope she's getting closer. This is not living!
Alina5 (3 stories) (136 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-06-16)
Hello Suzy,

I find it fascinating concept of "in-between" is more difficult to explain than the incidents which are considered completely paranormal in nature.

In one of my recent encounters, I did witnessed a spirit orb, appearing from a corner and disappearing in thin air. I, myself don't want to consider it as a dream since it was pretty viable in my case that it was not.

In my opinion, there is a time period when we are in the most vulnerable form exposing ourselves to the outside world. It is considered as spiritual awakening or developing the ability to sense the energies surrounding you.

If you want a logical reasoning on this context, many posters might give it as the phenomena of "ball lighting" but I, on my part don't believe any logical explanation would satisfy it.

Peace
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-06-16)
Hi Suzy.

That's interesting.
I usually practice yoga before going to bed, during the relaxation period at the end of the session, it's common for me to "see" unusual things like dancing golden trees and exploding lights always in the most vivid colours.
Perhaps that's my in-between?

I think a person's awareness is at its peak during this in-between time.

Was your experience paranormal? I don't know, but it seems like something nice to have seen.

Thanks for sharing.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-06-16)
Hello Suzy,

There most definitely is an "in-between". Some people experience Sleep Paralysis during this time - I am one of these people. I actually try to use this in-between sleeping and waking time to my advantage. If I fall back asleep, I have vivid dreams that are unlike my usual variety.

Though you can dream anything imaginable, I am not sure that I would call your experience "just a dream". If there was something or someone reaching out to you, then I am glad that you felt comforted by it. It didn't seem harmful.

- Maria

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: