You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Baldur

Real Ghost Stories

Baldur

 

It's been over a year since I've been on here, submitting a story. Tissue warning. This is probably the hardest story I have written.

Since my last story I had been seeing an entity I thought was my grandfather or my father in-law. I soon realized that it could be neither because I wasn't getting that warm fuzzy feeling I get when either are around and I only saw it's back like it didn't want me to see it. I don't even know if the entity was male or female to be honest.

My basement steps have no hand rails as my husband took them down years ago because the old ones were absolutely dangerous. I've asked my husband to put them back up since my back surgery last year. But he said it is easier to bring large things down into the basement without them. I had never fallen down the stairs and he really didn't want me down there too much, no more up and down those steps he would tell me. But that all changed soon after seeing this entity.

One day I was about to go up the stairs and changed my mind because I needed something from the basement. I have been having a problem with my left knee for some time and it locked up on me when I tried to step down to the next step. I yelled for my husband because my back then locked up and I was in for a fall and I wanted him to try to stop me from falling. Rather than fall straight down the stairs which would have been preferable because I was on the 4th step from the bottom, I fell through where the handrail should have been. I don't know how I avoided hitting my head on a dresser that was in my fall path but at any rate I landed more than 6 from the basement stairs. My husband who just stood there asked me why I did that. I said I called you for help and because there was no handrail to stop my fall.

A few other odd things happened the following week but I brushed them off. Then a week after my first fall on the stairs I was talking to my sons in the basement and when I was walking up the steps in my work boots the right boot slipped off of the steps and I went down on my belly until I again went flying through the hole and landed on my back more than 6 feet away from the stairs. There are too many things that I SHOULD have hit and should NOT have landed so far away from the stairs. My older son came running to help me up but I still was winded and hadn't moved yet. My other son and I have a way to pick me up if I fall, get knocked down by a dog etc. When I started to get around to moving he helped me up my older son made a nervous joke about how much air I got so maybe I landed further than I thought. Quite honestly it felt more like something pushed me the first time and something flipped me the second time.

This all happened last May I think in the middle of the month because it was still chilly. The last week in May was the start of a bad heat wave. All of my dogs were panting like crazy because they had not yet shed their winter coats fully. Baldur was 145 pounds, Kaia, his mom weighed 150, his brothers were Otter 138, & Moose 135. Dad, Loki was 100. Baldur rarely showed his puppy side but was hysterical when he did. He was panting heavier than the others and I wanted to take him to the vet (I can't take any of the dogs to the vet by myself because of my back) but my husband told me he was just bigger, the next day he was worse and came up to me and buried his head into my lap which for those who don't know is one way of dogs letting you know they don't feel well.

He started coughing the next day. I called my husband and informed him that I was going to take Baldur to the vet. Again he told me to wait, so I agonized. Friday my husband came home early and I thought he would take Baldur to the vet, no he said he would bring him in Saturday morning.

I knew this dog was close to death and all I could do is cry. My adult children and I stayed up all night worrying about him. Around 4 A.M. He let out a loud yelp, coughed, then collapsed fluid coming out of his mouth. My husband had hurriedly gotten dressed to take him to the Emergency Vet. When he came out I angrily told him he was too late Baldur was gone.

Later that morning I called my vets office to see if they would take care of his remains. I have been a client of theirs for almost 34 years so they were very accommodating, I asked to talk to a vet and they told me that Mike a vet tech would talk to me. I told him all of the symptoms including a high fever. He said that Baldur presented with congestive heart failure and even if I had gotten him there by Thursday there would be nothing they could do. I looked angrily at my husband and said that at the very least we could have had him humanely euthanized.

My son does a warding prayer every night and I also do so when I get bad feelings. My last story was about being in a sort of limbo when I had my last back surgery and I felt like I was floating towards my families voices to come home but something felt like an anchor and it pulled me back. When I kept seeing that being and had those two weird falls I felt like death may have been around because death is neither good nor evil so no amount of warding could keep it out. When it failed to get me I feel it took Baldur because the being left after Baldur died.

Regards Red

Other hauntings by RedWolf

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, RedWolf, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-17)
I want to take the left fork of this road. Maybe the spectre of death chose to take Baldur (wonderful name) instead of you. I don't know. But I somehow want to think that you have a very powerful guardian angel. Besides, what other explanation can you give for the impossibility of surviving both falls?
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-04-16)
RedWolf,

How are you doing in your recovery? My stepfather is going in for back surgery as soon as they lift the restrictions on elective surgery.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-16)
Thank you all for writing. It was very unnerving knowing that death was hanging around. Baldur was just over 2 years old when he died. At times I still feel enormous guilt that I deferred to my husbands wishes rather than having one of my sons help me bring him to the vet. I agree that Baldur "traded" his life for mine as his symptoms came on so suddenly and he had a check up several months before and he was healthy, no indication of any heart issues.

Lealeigh. Although many people think that death is an evil entity but that isn't true. The entity felt neither good nor evil just neutral. I seriously thought it was waiting for me because of the falls and it was waiting for me to have another fall but as val put it Baldur probably traded himself so nothing could take any of his people. I had a N.D.E. 10 months before during back surgery that lasted 9 hours.

The weird thing is that I broke my collar bone in 2 places and broke a rib all that happened was I that I heard a knock on the bathroom door. I stood up but my knee gave out and I just fell onto my left side onto a tiled floor. I have 2 young spirits in my house. But when I took the falls in the basement onto a cement floor I had no injuries.

Right now I wish you all stay well and that this Corona virus has not made any of the Y.G.S. Family or their loved ones ill.

Regards
Red
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-04-07)
Greetings, Red!

You have my best wishes for a successful surgery & quick recovery.

Given your medical issues, I can only imagine your husband thought he knew best about the basement stairs, and postponed dealing with the railing in the hope you'd forget about it. Your description of the distances you travelled, though, are a compelling reason for him to have taken your request more seriously. Husbands (and I'm speaking from experience) spend half their time thinking "I'd better fix that," "I meant to fix that," or "didn't I just fix that?" Ask one of your sons to volunteer to help him put up the handrail; turning into a father-son learning experience may help to prioritize replacing it.

It must have been deeply unnerving to have a harbinger of death loitering about your home for two or three weeks, and you have my sympathy on the fact that Baldur went with him. Loss of any family member hits deep & hard; our pets especially.

Take care during your recovery on Wednesday.

Best,
Biblio.
Sleeping-with-steve (guest)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-07)
Get well soon RedWolf,

Sorry to hear you are in pain. It makes it hard not being able to do everyday things. My thoughts are with you.

I am so sorry that Baldur died. The poor dog knew how much you all loved him and told you by putting his head in your lap. I believe he was trying to say thank you for everything and good bye. I was very sad reading this. It's hard losing pets. He left knowing he was loved and will no doubt come to you in your dreams or visit in spirit.

Thanks for sharing this sad experience.

Rest in peace Baldur. 😭

Best wishes,
SWS
😘 ❤ 😘
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+6
4 years ago (2020-04-06)
Thank you all for your comments and insights. I would have written back earlier but I badly broke my left collar bone and I am having surgery to fix it on Wednesday 😟. So please bear with me as the sling hurts both my back and collar bone.

Regards
Red
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+6
4 years ago (2020-04-04)
I actually took a different scenario away from this story - I hope I'm not venturing into any territory too personal. In your account, there seemed to be some serious negativity coming from your husband at this time. Perhaps the emotions that created manifested a poltergeist energy to protect or at least buffer you.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-04-02)
Hello Red, sorry for the loss. When I was reading the narrative, towards the end, I had the feeling that Baldur gave up his life to stop something that was trying to hurt you. Val put it correctly in her comments.

But, a sad end to Baldur.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-04-01)
Rajine.

That's because today is April Fool's Day and some words are programmed to change for something funny and colorful.
Rajine (14 stories) (734 posts)
+6
4 years ago (2020-04-01)
Firstly I am sorry for your loss [at] redwolf it's never easy losing a pet that is like your family, but I believe that every living thing has a soul and when they time is up they cross over and guide and watch over us be it people or pets.

And secondly why do random comments have the word clown replacing some of the words? I've noticed this often today. 🙄
tace (37 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-04-01)
I am so sorry for your loss. So hard to lose a fur friend.
Thank you for telling me about why a dog buries it's head in your lap. I always thought Rocky does it to get a good smell. LOL 😁 I am watching him closely now... Checking him to see if it's something more. ❤
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+6
4 years ago (2020-03-31)
RedWolf.

I'm sorry for your loss.

I have no idea about the meaning of all that activity but am glad to know that you didn't get badly hurt... Other than your heart, because a pet's death is a very painful experience.

A big hug for you.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-03-31)
Redwolf - Condolences on Baldur's passing. I know that the death of a pet is extremely painful and one certainly doesn't get over it in a jiffy. Our pets live on in our memory bank of passed loved ones.

How old was Baldur? Did he have a history of heart disease or any other illness?

My personal opinion is that the entity you were seeing was there to warn you that Baldur was about to take his final journey. You couldn't possibly have known that.

Perhaps your grandfather or your father-in-law were there to help you when you fell but the other entity was there for Baldur. Just my take on it.

Regards, Melda
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+6
4 years ago (2020-03-30)
Hey Red, long time. 😊
Sorry to hear about Baldur. I have this really odd thought, mostly because of the timing of his parting. Have you not thought that perhaps Baldur 'traded' his life for yours? There are tales of such things, granted they're usually humans offering Death the trade, but why wouldn't a loyal dog if given the chance?
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-03-30)
Jeez... I meant to say "RedWolf". I would like to say that my phone auto corrected me but that was 100% user error.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-03-30)
Redfox,

Your story breaks my heart. You are right, your husband should have brought Baldur to the vet so he wouldn't have had to suffer. I feel bad for your husband too because I get the idea that he probably felt terrible about it.

Rest in Peace, Baldur

If you are convinced that the entity failed to get you and then turned against your beloved pet... I would tend to think that it wants an emotional reaction to sustain itself in some way. I think that it might not be gone for good and if it is strong enough to kill your dog, it is strong enough to necessitate having support from a spiritual leader.

You were right to begin your story with a "tissue warning".

- Maria

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: