You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: My Sister's "lookalike"

Real Ghost Stories

My Sister's "lookalike"

 

This is my first story on this platform! It happened a few years ago so I might not remember it too clearly!

Around this time, I had been waking up at midnight kind of hours. I was about 9 or ten. On one particular night, I woke up as normal, my parents had gone to bed already. I decided to go downstairs and get a drink of water before I slept, just to refresh my dry throat. As I walked out of my room (on the left after you come up the stairs and opposite my younger sister's room with a bathroom in the middle of the wall facing the stairs) I saw "my sister" standing outside her bedroom door.

She stared motionlessly but not right at me. I asked her if she wanted to go get a drink with me but I got no reply. She faded away suddenly. As I was quite tired I didn't consider that to be too strange until it dawned upon me. My REAL sister was sleeping in her bed behind the "doppelganger" the whole time! I was so terrified that I ran back to my bed! I never got my drink though: (

This is probably my most strange experience!

Please let me know in the comment section if you have anything you want to say or know or even your own experiences! I've read various stories on here about "doppelgangers" of relatives!

Just to let you know, I haven't experienced this apparition since then. I'm pretty sure it was a one off experience. She kind of gave me a harmless impression, I don't think she was aware that I was even there. My sister has never seen her before, even though she was in her bedroom door way! Thank you for reading!🙂

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Shrinkydink, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

KenS80 (1 stories) (40 posts)
 
1 year ago (2023-03-16)
Hiya,
That is intriguing. OBE? Out of body experience? Was your wife communicating with you when you saw her?
How do I find the story you recently wrote about seeing your wife floating out of her body? That would be a good reading.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
1 year ago (2023-03-16)
I have experienced this several times over the years with a few different family members. On this one account. I was walking to the bathroom somewhere through the night when I saw my wife walking around our kitchen looking quite house-proud going about her business. (as she does take a lot of pride in keeping our home spotless.)

I don't believe it was a doppelganger as such. I believe what I was observing at the time, was her residual energy imprinted into the consciousness at the plank scale of the home we lived in for some 30 years.

I wrote a story recently about seeing my wife floating out of her body. Again it wasn't a doppelganger IMO... What I witnessed was my wife having an actual OBE account.

My theory on a doppelganger... String theory suggests we exist in many worlds/universes of which some are nearly identical to ours. Sometimes these universes mesh together bringing two individuals into the same macroscopic location where they are interacting with the same influence of nature.

I think perhaps what you saw was your sister having an OBE.I'm sure you asked her and she had no memory of it right?

That is quite normal too, most people don't.

Regards Daz
KenS80 (1 stories) (40 posts)
 
1 year ago (2023-03-16)
Talk of doppelgangers interest me. But I wasn't aware they vanished like spirits. Looks like I need to read-up somewhat!
Interesting apparition. ('-') /
BitterSweet78801 (4 stories) (20 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-03-04)
Wow, my sister had a similar experience too. I wrote about it called "my twin". My sister swore up and down that she saw someone walk in from the back door, straight into the restroom. The "thing" was motionless, and not interacting with her either. She followed "it" into the restroom. She said it looked just like me.

Thanks for sharing your story. Hoping to never go through that ever again.
Nelson_but_not_Mandela (12 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-07-04)
That's cool and creepy, I wouldn't like to see my sister's double, she's very annoying! I love her though. 🙄 ❤
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-06-19)
Greetings, Shrinkydink, and welcome to YGS.

My first reaction to your narrative was not "doppelgänger," but "O.B.E." This (Out-of-Body Experience) is what lady-glow refers to as "your sister's ethereal self got up for a walk." Given that she vanished when you addressed her, perhaps concentrating on making a decision about getting water was enough to break her focus & return her, quite naturally, to her bed.

However, this is a really cool experience, and you should make regular conversation with your sister about her dreams so she knows she can turn to you should anything else happen.

Best,
Biblio.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-06-18)
Hi Shrinkydink,

Last year, during July, my mother woke up around 6:30 am. She was doing her morning routine of drinking coffee and she walked outside and looked up the road. She saw me jogging down the road towards the house. I passed her without either one of us saying a word and I continued to the backyard. It wasn't strange because, at that house, I always had the habit of going in and out of the back door only.

She came back in and sat down - she could see me, through a window, sitting at the table on the patio. She got involved in something on her tablet; but, after a few minutes, she realized that I never came inside. I was no longer on the patio so she went in my room and found me fast asleep - in my pajamas. It was obvious that I hadn't been anywhere as I still had that "morning face" that people have when they wake up.

I was dreaming about running. I am good about keeping a dream journal and running is what I remembered doing in my dream before she woke me up. It makes me wonder what would have happened if she had tried to get my attention while she was outside. Maybe my image would have disappeared before her and I would have woken up inside.

I'm sorry for scaring you mom!

I hope this, in some way, helps you to come to a decision about what you experienced by seeing your sister standing there in the dark. From my (and my mother's) experience, I feel like your sister may have stepped outside her physical body while she was deeply asleep.

While you can technically go anywhere in your dreams, it is amusing to me that people often don't go far.

- Maria
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-06-17)
Hello Shrinkydink and welcome to YGS.

It has been discussed several times in this forum that these doppelgangers of sleeping people could be the said person having an spontaneous out of body experience without even knowing what is going on.

Have you ever asked your sister if she remembers this incident?

Perhaps your sister's ethereal self got up for a walk and went back to her physical body after you saw her.

Thanks for sharing this interesting experience.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: