You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Shadow People :: Rita And Her Children

Real Ghost Stories

Rita And Her Children

 

My experience started about two years ago. It started out as sleep paralysis, but it slowly progressed over time. I know sleep paralysis has a scientific explanation, but these incidents started to happen while I was awake, as well.

The first time I experienced sleep paralysis, it was scary for me. I remember being almost asleep, but not quite, then being woken up by feeling a presence behind me (I was on my side). I was still living with my parents at the time, and I thought my mother had walked into my room, as the presence felt female. I tried to turn to look, but I couldn't. My body wouldn't move.

I could actually feel warm breath at my ear, and I heard someone whisper my name. Then, there a kind of raspy, throaty laugh. By this time, I knew it wasn't my mother because the presence felt too eerie.

In my head, I began to imagine what this person or thing looked like. It was definitely female, but it was more of just a form than an actual corporeal being. I was seeing a flowing outline, like a dress, hair pulled into a bun, and bright green eyes. Not green pupils, but the eyes as a whole were green.

By that time, I was, thoroughly, freaking out, and I was able to jerk myself out of the paralysis and turn my table lamp on. Of course, there was nothing there, but the eerie feeling of not being alone in my room persisted. The next day, I just chalked up my experience to being overly stressed and my mind playing tricks on me.

Fast foward a few months, I had been sleep paralysis free, and I hadn't given the experience much thought. I'd pretty much forgotten about it. By this time, I had moved away from home and was rooming with some friends, and things were going well. I was happy.

One night I was home alone while the girls were out. It was just me and the dog. I was sitting on the couch watching TV, when I noticed a flickering motion out of the corner of my right eye. At the same time, the dog goes berserk-growling and bearing his teeth in the same direction. I looked over to that area, which was the doorway leading to the kitchen, and I see the same movement again.

It was fast and dark like a shadow, but I know I saw it. The dog was still going crazy, and his hackles were up. I wouldn't have been as startled as I was if he wasn't concerned with it, but a dog's senses are better than human's.

I didn't see the form again, but there was a loud crash in the kitchen, and that was when I became fully scared. I waited a few minutes just to see if anything else would happen, but nothing did. So, I went to the kitchen, and the dish drainer was on the floor upside down. The silverware and the couple of bowls that were in it were scattered around it.

I picked everything up in a hurry and ran back to the livingroom. The dog had calmed down, but he was still on high alert. Later on, I told the girls when they got home, and they just said "well maybe the dish drainer was too close to the edge", and that I was too imaginative. I agreed with them, but I wasn't fully convinced.

A few days later at work it was very busy. I had been running back and forth taking care of customers, and when I finally got a few minutes I went to the back room to take a breather. It was particularly hot that day, so when the hair on my arms started to stand it was strange. I didn't feel cold, but it felt like electricity. That's when I felt the same eerie female presence again, like she was standing right behind me.

The picture in my head popped up again-the dark form in a dress, updo hair, and green eyes. It came to my mind without me even willfully thinking about it. The feeling it gave off wasn't good, but it didn't feel evil. It felt more curious and mischievous, but it was draining. It made me overly tired.

I heard the raspy laugh again, and a box of Styrofoam cups fell off the shelf behind me. After that, the picture in my head was gone. I ran back into the main room at work, and my face must have been pale because my coworker asked me if I was okay.

I feel the need to stress that I do not consider myself clairvoyant or sensitive to these kinds of things. I have always been open to the paranormal because I've always been interested in it, and I remember having a couple of experiences as a kid, but never as vivid as this. These latest experiences seem to want to actually engage with me.

It's been almost two years, I live with my sister and brother in law now, I have a different job, I live in a different house, but things still happen. I see the womanly figure outside of my mind now, along with other shadow like figures. It's not everyday, but it does happen anywhere I go. I'll see her mostly in the shadows, but I know it's her. Green always stands out.

I call her Rita, I don't know why that fits, but it does. I call the other miscellaneous shadow figures I see her 'children'. They'll move things of mine. I found a pair of my earrings inside a pair of my shoes with no explanation just a few nights ago. I've come to expect the occurrences, but the eerie, uneasy feeling always remains, and after she leaves I'll feel zapped of energy like she's feeding off me.

I stopped telling people about it because they think I'm just looking for attention or just trying to tell a story, so I deal with it the best I can. It still scares me even though I should be used to it, and I think it's mainly because how I feel after the occurrence is over. I don't like the feeling Rita gives me. The other little shadowlings seem pretty harmless, but to me, it seems like Rita has a reason for coming to me.

Other hauntings by AlskaRJean

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AlskaRJean, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-02-09)
I just got a case of the giggles because my mother in law's name is Rita and the description fits! I don't like the feeling I get from her either! Though folks assure me she *isn't* evil 😉
The description you gave also sounds very much like the step mother in Cinderella! (https://goo.gl/images/ng1FLg)

I am with Rook - cleansing and shielding yourself by a method meaningful to you seems as though it would be a good idea. Even if she isn't evil, she is draining you of energy and making you feel uncomfortable and that has to get old. If you are feeling particularly adventurous maybe try an EVP session with her first?

P.S. I don't mean my comments to sound flip or disrespectful. I do believe you and respect your observations- my mind just goes rampant making associations sometimes.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-02-04)
Hi Alska,

Thanks for sharing, I agree with what's already been suggested. The earrings in the shoes remind me of the sort of thing our grandparents' generation would do. A way of hiding valuables overnight. Don't know if that helps or not.
Get into personal shields. You can't have someone/thing sapping your energy, well intended or not.
AlskaRJean (2 stories) (2 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-02-03)
LuciaJacinta, hi.
No, I wasn't taking any medication. I don't take any medicines to sleep because it makes me feel horrible the next day. The only thing I really ever take will be asprin or ibuprofen when I have a headache.
The name Rita doesn't mean anything to me, nor do pearls. Um, green is one of my favorite colors, if that means anything haha.
I don't feel like it is an evil presence, I just don't know what to make of the 'off' feeling I get. Maybe because it's something unnatural, I don't know.
I don't know where she came from or if she just attached herself to me because of my battle with depression. I would just believe it is all in my head if I didn't see her so vividly or if she didn't interact with me. And I'm just not sure how to block her or get her to go away. I guess I should do research.
-Alska
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-02-03)
Very interesting. I tend to discount sleep paralysis stories because as you say there are "scientific reasons" and if you research others that have experienced it, they all seem to "see" the same stuff, although I have no idea why. But the fact that you are feeling her/seeing her when you awake now turns this story around for me. So question, were you taking any medicine when you were having the sleep issues? Does the color green hold any significance for you? The meaning of "Rita" is pearl. Do pearls hold any significance for you? Like you say, the feeling isn't a "good" feeling from her so I'd try to put a protective shield around you to block her out and tell her she isn't longer welcome to visit you. See if that helps.
AlskaRJean (2 stories) (2 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-02-02)
Hi Rookdygin. Thank you for commenting.
Before what I'm going through now, I've never had any experiences quite as engaging or any that has singled me out specifically. My grandmother's home had active spirit (s) , but they left everyone alone.
I don't understand why I feel singled out by this presence. I have bouts of deep depression, always have, and I think somehow that attracted it. That's just my guess. I've been tested for bi-polar disorder and schizophrenia, but my results are always normal.
As for someone holding a grudge against me, I can't think of anyone.
I've tried to keep up with the days 'Rita' comes to me to see if there is any particular pattern, but there isn't one. Sometimes, I'll see her back to back days, or sometimes there might be a week in between.
As for cleanses, I've tried burning sage. It didn't seem to help. I'll have to look at the cleanse you have posted, and thank you for recommending it.
-Alska
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-02-02)
Thanks for sharing,

Some questions...

Did anything happen to you just before that first incident of S/P? Something sudden, possibly an accident? OR Was an item purchased, something old, that was brought into the house? OR Is it possible someone is 'mad' at you or holding a grudge of some type?

NEXT

You stated:

"I don't like the feeling Rita gives me. The other little shadowlings seem pretty harmless, but to me, it seems like Rita has a reason for coming to me."

Based on what you have shared and the way you describe feeling drained after you 'feel' this spirit/entities presence sounds like it is draining your energy... It seems it may be attached to you somehow... Because you have felt it at work and home.

A Personal Cleans/Shield is a good place to start, then one for the home. Repeat them as needed. I have one posted on my profile or you can find them on the internet.

Again, thanks for sharing and please keep us posted.

Respectfully,

Rook

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: