You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Grandma Pays a Visit

Real Ghost Stories

Grandma Pays a Visit

 

When I was 14 I lived with my parents in the small town of Homestead, Fl. And my Grandmother lived in a trailer a few miles away. When my father took a job in Ft. Lauderdale he sold the house and my Grandma's trailer and moved us all into our new home in Hollywood, Fl. Since I was getting older I got a new waterbed and my bunk bed was taken apart and made into two beds. These were put into my Grandma's room and she slept on one of them.

Grandma was always a very psychic person. My mother told me a story about how when she had miscarried what would have been an older sister she knew before being told and just showed up at the hospital asking for my mother before she even arrived! This was in the late 40's. Then one day I found out for myself when I called her one day and she answered the phone "hello Gene". This was way before caller I.D.

Well Grandma died a year after we moved into the new house and she was cremated and her ashes put in an vase and placed in her old room. Years later I was married to my wife for 4 years when she developed breast cancer. She had it bad and had to have both breast removed along with all her lymph nodes in the area. Before the surgery we moved into my parents house so that my mother could look after my wife as I worked two jobs. We stayed in my Grandma's old room because of the two beds. I didn't want to bump my poor wife in my sleep.

One night I awoke to my wife calling out to me, "Did you see her!" By the time I opened my eyes I could see nothing so I asked what it was that she saw. She told me that at the foot of her bed there had been a young woman in an old nurses outfit and cap. It had a Red cross on both the cap and on her breast.

Well, I didn't really know what to think so I calmed her down and went back to sleep. The next morning we told my Mother about what had happened at breakfast. She had this all knowing look in her eye and she got up and went into the other room for about ten minutes. When she returned she had an old box of photographs. She took one out and showed it to my wife. Now understand she had never met my grandma and had only seen pictures of her when she was old. My wife instantly cried out "that was the woman she had seen!"

She showed me the picture and sure enough it was of a young woman in an old nurses uniform. Mother then told me for the first time that Grandma had been a Red Cross nurse during WW1.

Well, we assumed that Grandma was just being a good Nurse and checking up on my wife. But my wife's cancer was spreading into her spine and brain and she soon died. It was then that I realized that she was there to prepare her for her journey. To welcome her to the afterlife. I could not help but be a believer now!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Geno56, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-05)
With such a terrible loss it is wonderful that your wife was able to share that experience with you and your family. It had to calm her fears of her own mortality and it had to comfort you and your family knowing another family member would be helping your wife make the transition to the other side. What a gift of knowledge that was for all of you in a time of terrible stress. My brother did something really strange one day before his death at age 4 from being hit by a car. He was playing outside with other cousins and my aunt said to my mom Look at Charles. He had dropped to his knees looking up to the sky with a big smile on his face and made the sign of the cross then my other cousins not knowing what was happening did drop to their knees too but didn't know why they had done so. Was it just kids mimicing another child? Afterwards my mother asked him what that was all about and he alluded to not knowing what she was talking about. He either had no recollection or knew he was not to speak of it. He was dead the next day. To this day I believe he saw something in the sky that made him very happy and also something that instinctively made him drop to his knees. Being raised Catholic we did attend church but I don't think he had a real understanding of it all being that he was only 4. He did know the sign of the cross but again that was something though taught probably made no sense to him at the time. No one was teaching him theology at age 4. So what did he see? I think he saw God. And you can not see the face of God and live according to the bible. He was a typical child but one with a very generous heart which is odd for a 4 yr.old. He was always giving toys away and money to other kids. Always sharing what he had with others. Maybe because of this generous and loving heart he was taken early because he was an advanced soul. Maybe there is truth in the saying only the good die young. It was after his death that all 3 of us girls felt someone sit on our beds at night. None of us ever said anything about it until we were adults. It never scared us and we just moved our feet to make room for it. I remember it happening for a few years then in my mid teens it stopped. My sisters said the same. I truly believe in life after this life and that our loved ones can come to us to comfort us when needed.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-05)
That was a heart-breaking story! I have to agree with you, your grandmother was there that night to prepare her way and even to show you that there's life after death where families stick together.

So sorry for your loss Geno!

Thank you so much for sharing.
muahh (53 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-04)
that's really sad... I'm sorry for your loss Gene...

I'm sure you're wife's happy with your grandma now...

such a heartfelt story... Makes me really sad at some point... 😢

Thanks for sharing... Keep safe!

❤ andrea
gsi0leader (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-03)
i know how you feel. My grandpa died of a stroke last year in december. 😭 I miss him so much but he did the right thing by being sailor in world war 2.But live will always move in the hearts of the one who lost people dear to them. So we sould wait until it is time for us to move on.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-03)
What a caring and supportive Grandmother, Geno56.
Thank you for sharing this story. I know it must have been difficult for you to put it all in words as it had to be such an emotional time in your life. I feel for your loss, and I am truly sorry.
My thoughts on this, is that your Grandmother knew of the bond between your wife and yourself. She was married once, too. She also knew of all the thoughts swirling around in your head, and thought to comfort you BOTH. (Your blessed wife with the nurses outfit, and YOU... Because she was Grandma.)
Oh, Grandma knew what she was doing when she decided to introduce herself first, even if she did not say a word.
What beautiful women you have shared a life time-line with.
Thank you.
Snags67 (10 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-02)
Sorry for your loss. It helps to know our loved ones are waiting for us on the other side. ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: