You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Footsteps in the Hallway

Real Ghost Stories

Footsteps in the Hallway

 

Alright, this is my first submission here, and I'm mainly posting it because I want to know what it is, and it scares the heck out of me to this day. The time was around ten thirty to midnight, I was laying in bed. I was sleeping normally, I don't have any recollections of weird dreams or anything.

The first out of the ordinary event was that my dog began barking loudly. This wasn't just a "there's a squirrel in the backyard!" bark, this was a panicked whining bark. I woke up as he bolted out my bedroom door. I sat up and closed the door which he had opened and lay back down.

Shortly after, I clearly heard footsteps walking down my hall. The layout of my hall is this: On one side is my parent's room, then comes a bathroom, then my room, then on the other end, my little sister's room. These footsteps were coming from my parent's room. Naturally, I thought it was my mom or dad coming to see why the dog was barking. Then, I realized that the footsteps were much too light! They sounded like my little sister who was about seven at the time. However, the person walking down the hall couldn't be her, she was asleep in her room on the other end of the hall. The footsteps slowly got closer, and I lay there, terrified. They reached my door, and stopped. They did not begin again.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Smi1e, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Marg (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-01)
Sometimes,when we are tired we imagine we see or hear things that are not there.However,I could be wrong about this. It could be something more going on. I hope you find out what it is. Good luck! 😊
bardsidhe (38 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-30)
Well looking at the facts gives me a few thoughts, though without knowing more I cannot be certain, but I will suggest them, I'll start as the Debunker.
Renovating/Remodelling can also disturb the plumbing, a common explination for footsteps in the house, is Air Bubbles in old loose water pipes (the thin kind that take the water from the Mains to the Sinks)
for this theory to apply, though, it would mean that the Pipes in your house would have to run the length your hallway, and well in my experience, this is generally not the case.

now as the Supporter, I have had a similar experience as you have, I awoke to hear loud footsteps outside my bedroom door, I thought at first it was my father, but he was away with the Army at the time, and all other occupants of the house were asleep, after learning of the pipes thing myself I crawled under the house to look for myself and found that there were No pipes in that part of the house at all,
Smi1e (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-29)
Thank you all for offering you suggestions and theories, if I see or hear anything else indicating spiritual activity, I will try asking it if I can help it (?) in any way.
<333
MNPROPHET (6 stories) (25 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-29)
Clearly it could be a spirit that exists with in the house, be alert to your suroundings. If it is a spirit there have been other activity that you are not conscious of. Your puppy probably acted up before, but you might of thought he was just a mood.
Most hauntings are discovered by individuals that have a hightened sense, this is developed through your life and a quest to understand.
Finally the "Devils Advocate" thinking that you was a sleep and if the dog did not wake you, it could of been dear old dad walking lightly... To not disturb you. Did you ask them?
Qtgrly111 (2 stories) (58 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-29)
This sounds like a spirit to me. I have had similar events happen to me with footsteps. This event seems harmless, but waking up in the middle of the night to footsteps is terrifying, I know what that's like.
Abercrombie (2 stories) (45 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-29)
Okay, after your dog left, you heard footsteps. Hmm, then you said it couldn't be your sister, how would you know he's asleep if you can't see her? Secondly, it could've been your dog. Not all dogs click their nails, it could've been his toepads. Anyways, don't always be so convinced it's a spirit. You said they stopped at your door; perhaps poochie called it quits for the night. Think about it. 😕
pinkroses (1 stories) (33 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-29)
Another thing, when I was a kid and whenever me and my sister and brother slept over at my Grandmother's house which was close by to our home, we would hear footsteps during the night when everyone was asleep. We all slept upstairs on the floor in sleeping bags in my Grandma's room so we knew it wasn't her. It was creepy because it always started at the bottom of the stairs and you could hear the footsteps coming up the stairs with the squeaking noises and everything (old house) and it would reach the top of the stairs, we would never hear it walking back down, but it would start all over again from the bottom of the stairs to the top again. This went on for a long time and we just would freeze and hide under the sleeping bags. My Grandmother never would be awaken by it.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-29)
My son had an experience with a friend's dog in my house while it was being worked on. The dog ran up to the attic and was frozen there shaking and wouldn't come down. My son had to carry her down. This aside I was up in the attic a few weeks ago and something tapped me on my upper arm. I was in a doorway to the other room up there and it felt like when my cat taps my arm to get attention. But at the time the cats weren't up there and had they been it still would have been impossible because I was not standing next to anything they could have crawled up on to tap me that high up on my body. I wasn't scared. I was just fascinated. Whatever it was sounds like it had no intentions of harming you. Should it happen again tell it to go to the Light.
Smi1e (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-28)
Oh yes, and one more small detail...
About a year before this even we did some major remodeling to the house, including changing the size of my parent's room. I've read that sometimes remodeling stirs up spirits...
supernaturalguy3710 (17 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-28)
kane has officially watched too much supernatural. But he's right you should ask the ghost of its intentions... Trust your dog, dogs can sense ghosts before us.
the salt that kane mentioned has not been officially tested. While it may or may not help, it won't kill the spirit.
Smi1e (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-28)
This happened about... Three years ago? So not recently at all. Yes, it was in the house I currently live in. As for other experiences, sometimes when I turn the corner, or walk into a room and turn on a light, I see something that looks like a person out of the corner of my eye. That's probably just my mind though.
Thank you all~
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-28)
When did this happen? Was it recently? Did it happen in the house you currently live in? Have you had any other experieces?

Need more details.

God Bless!
Kane (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-28)
Maybe the little spirit wants something. Sometimes you may just need to ask them but that is entirely up to you. Do be careful if you do. It can be hard to see what their intentions could be. Might not be a bad idea to keep some salt around.
pinkroses (1 stories) (33 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-28)
It sounds like a spirit to me. Your sister was in bed asleep, it did not sound like it could of been your parents. This is very common with peoples homes and spiritual activity.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: