You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: True Stories That Still Baffle Me

Real Ghost Stories

True Stories That Still Baffle Me

 

I would like to share a few true stories that remain inexplicable to me. I would be interested in any comments or suggestions:

1. When my mother was dying in hospital from a stroke, my brothers, father and other relatives were sitting around the bed. After some time, I smelt cigarette smoke and immediately felt angered by it. I couldn't believe that anyone would smoke in a hospital ward. I stood up and walked to the other end of the ward to find out who was smoking. This was only a small ward with about four beds in it.

Nobody was smoking. I looked out the window, but we were about four levels up from the ground, so no cigarette smoke could have drifted in from there. I went outside the ward, but no-one was smoking. The smell then disappeared and I forgot about it and my irritation. When I spoke about it to my wife later on, she said that she had not smelt smoke. Nobody around the bed had smelt it either. Only then did I wonder if my grandparents, both of whom smoked in life, were also present around the bed. Did they come to take her away? She died the next day.

True Stories That Still Baffle Me

2. A couple of months after my mother's death, I bought my first digital camera. I was trying it out, taking pictures of anything, including our messy bedroom. One of the shots revealed something strange about the photo frame on my bedside table. I zoomed in on the photo frame that held a photo of my mother and father. My mother had been blacked out. Only her arms were visible. The blackening followed the contours of her head and chest perfectly - as if someone had taken a felt tip pen and blacked her out.

I asked numerous photographers how this could have happened. None had an explanation. I sent it to a magazine and it was published. I've still had no reasonable explanation as to how the camera could produce such a perfect fault around a specific person. I wonder if this could be a sign from my mother - that she's not in this world anymore, but was able to show me this. I will submit the photo if someone tells me how to do it!

3. This incident happened many years before my mother's death: I have to take my wife's word for this as I wasn't at home at the time. We have two boys. At this time, one was a baby, the other was six years old. All three were having breakfast one morning when there was a loud crash from upstairs. My wife went to investigate and found the large, sturdy wooden cot that the baby slept in, turned over with the mattress spilling out. She righted it and told me about it when I got home. I experimented with the cot with dismay. It was very difficult to topple over, even with a big effort. We thought it might have been the cat, but this just isn't possible. It takes a big effort with two hands to tip it over. I'm baffled to this day.

4. I was giving a music lesson to a child in a school. On this occasion, the school was practically empty since there was a big rugby event going on on the playing fields. As I was giving the lesson, the cymbal in the middle of the room made a noise, as if it was being tapped. The child and I sat, without making a sound, listening to five definite taps on the cymbal. I turned to him and grinned: "Did you hear that?" I said. He said that he did. I made a joke about we can't both be going mad. I tapped the cymbal with my fingers and this was the exact sound that we had heard. It wasn't a vibration and it wasn't anyone in the corridor. It was definitely that cymbal that was tapping itself. Again, I'm still baffled!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, stillsearching, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

stillsearching (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-29)
I've read everyone's copmments with appreciation. Just a couple of things... The cot and the cymbal thing happened long before my mother died, so they aren't connected with her. I've wondered a lot about the blacked out photo! I don't really like this thought, but in a short space of time after my mother died, my father walked straight into another relationship. I've thought that the blacking out from the photo could signal dissaproval or betrayal... I don't like to think about it too much! I have also tried over and over again to get the same result with my camera. It just doesn't happen! And still no photographer can explain it in natural terms. If there's any expert photographers out there who can explain what happened, please come forward!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-24)
Do you know what makes these experiences absolutely fascinating for me, stillsearching? The fact that all of them were researched and tried out BEFORE you came to the idea that you had no idea on what was going on. So many people have an experience and simply... (frustrated body language)
I have a tendency not to read through other comments before giving my thoughts, so if I repeat something, I am sorry.
In your first instance that you wrote about, I would have to say with near conviction that your grandparents were in the ward with you and visiting their daughter. The reason I say NEAR conviction is that smokers have a scent on their bodies (and clothing) that often times smells like "fresh smoke". Smokers do not seem to notice that much, whereas MOST non-smokers appear to be able to pick that up and are often times offended by it. As the smell disappeared, I would be hard pressed NOT to lean towards a Spiritual visit.
The photograph needs no other explanation other than I feel that your Mother was wanting to let you know that she is safely on the other side. She used the absence of the upper torso as that is where most "love" is felt. (Heart, head. Love is an INNER feeling, and not so much needing the outer extremities)
I think a Wanderer may have caused the cradle to topple. No grandparent I have ever been in contact with would think to disturb anything as important as the well being of their kin. To overturn the bed could have caused damage, or weakened it. Can you see where I am coming from on that one?
And lastly, there may NOT have been anyone in the halls, or in the building either, but what about a ventilation system that could have caused a "ping" to the cymbals? You and I both know that ping is not the correct sound, but it there a chance of water droplets, foot-taps (from nervousness), shifting body weight as you BOTH tried to figure it out?
Thank you for sharing these experiences. What a treat. KEEP searching still.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-24)
hi and thank you for sharring this story with us. I realy enjoyed reading it. I am very sorry for your loss. I do agree with you that your mother was trying to show you that he has crossed over. The best part that realy made me feel happy was when your grandparents came for your mother. I know it is hard to say goodbye to a loved one. But somone special came for her and that is a great thing. Same thing happened with my mother. Her aunt had come for her. It is nice to hear that the loved ones we once lost, will be met againb after our deaths. Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-24)
Thank you for sharing your stories with us, they were very interesting. As far as the picture is concerned, I too believe that it was your mother saying she was no longer here. The smoke smell in the hospital, well she had visitors from the other side. The baby bed, who knows it could have been a wandering spirit passing through. The cymbal, I'm leaning towards a vibration as being the culprit.
Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-23)
Very interesting stories here! The blacked out photo was really weird (I noticed it before I even read that part of your stories).
I wonder what exactly it is supposed to mean. It just seems that it would be something bad (like when you are angry with someone and cross out their photo).
Thanks for sharing these stories.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-23)
Hi stillsearching. My sympathies for the loss of your Mom, it's difficult to deal with. I enjoyed reading about the events and experiences you've had. I always find the less dramatic stories more interesting and believable. I was intrigued by the photo, thanks for posting it. The way I understand what you've described, the form of your Mom was only blacked out on the photo that you took of it. That is really interesting, something I've never heard of before. Thank you for sharing your experiences.
Biemaster (7 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-23)
Hi stillsearching and thanks for sharing this interesting story with us!

1) I am very sorry for the loss of your mother! I am sure it must be very devastating! I wonder where the smoke came from? Are you allergic to something? It may be that you are allergic to medicine or the smell of medicine and must have felt it as smoke. Or it might be coming from the ventilation system? I know it is not a good answer but its just a thought.

2) Wow! That picture is awesome! It is very startling and disturbing! I think it might be your mother telling you that she is really gone and that you should not worry. That is one interesting picture!

3) Hmmm, that's weird. If the cot is really heavy and only your wife and your 2 children were at home, it is difficult to decide. The thoughts that are coming in my mind is its either a bad or evil ghost trying to ruin things or its your mom trying to get attention or to tell you that she is still there in your house.

4) I think that part is not related with your mother unless she likes music. Otherwise, you should try finding out the history of the school and find out if anybody had died in that class or in that school. Otherwise, it is really baffling to me too! 😆

Hope I was of any help and I am looking forward to your stories!

Biemaster
princess123 (7 stories) (186 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-23)
Dear, StillSearching That Is A Very Interesting Story. Especially that Picture!
Very strange!

Sorry about your loss of your mother,

P123 ❤
alex323 (5 stories) (15 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-23)
I conquer with all the others that your mother's spirit visits you. I don't know about the cymbol though, schools have been known to be haunted, but I simply think that maybe it was someone telling you 'hi' or 'I'm here, just passing through'.

Apologies about your mother.
❤ alex
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-23)
Hi Stillsearching,
Firstly sorry about your loss. I unfortunately find it a bit difficult to accept that your mum would black out her own picture. Don't know, a loved one would not do that. If a loved comes to us as a spirit it is to help us in some way, either to tell us they are ok now and happy or a sign of some sort of danger to avoid. The picture, the cot these two occurances are weird, now the music class, unless you mum played a similar tune I don't know. Sorry I know it is not what you want to hear, but it just does not seem normal. Good luck I hope you find the answers.
Surya
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-23)
Stillsearching hi and thanks for sharing some very interesting encounters with us.

As far as your hospital experience is concerned, I really believe that the smoke you smeeled was 'a beacon' for what followed next-the apparitions of your mother's parents around her bed. I believe that the energy or spirit of a physical body is ever-lasting and thus, it's only natural that we are constantly visited by our deceased loved ones in times of need. As in your mother's case, you were granted with the most beautiful sight in the world:to see that she was accompanied to the land across by the two people who brought her in this world. Such a sight functioned not only to reassure you that your mother will be safe and loved on the other side but to make you realise that life and death are just two different ways of existing-death being the most complete and perfect form of the two.

As for the rest of your encounters, not only do I believe it's your beloved mother reaching out to you but I 'm also inclined to believe there's a deeper meaning behind her visits. She's trying to tell you she is still alive, she's still around and that it is time you accept the reality of her death as well as the existence of a world that lies beyond our imperfect boundaries.

God Bless you all my friend!
stillsearching (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-23)
Thanks for your comments. I was really close to my mother. I still miss her and like everyone, I'm still searching for a reason to believe that death isn't the end. Sometimes I'm convinced that it is and get depressed. Other times, I'm not so sure...
ominousnyxx (10 stories) (136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-23)
I only have a theory about the picture of your mother and yes I agree with you that it is your mother.

Maybe she senses that you still miss her and cannot really move on with your life, she maybe did that to her face so you could just forget abit about her and just move on with your life.

I'm also sorry to hear about your loss.

Take care and I'm sure your mother is always watching over you.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-23)
😁 wow sound like a black marker on the picture but I do believe something that got be a signs to tell you might be right that she not in the world I am not sure about that... And I am sorry about your mother I lost my daddy in april 2, 1990 when I was young at 17. Thanks for let me read this story...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: