You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Story Of Three Generations

Real Ghost Stories

The Story Of Three Generations

 

To let everyone know, this is my first time writing a ghost story.

To start off the story, I was very young (4-5 years old) so I do not remember a lot about what went on in the house. All I know is mostly from research and stories from my mother and grandfather, and a few experiences of my own. What I do know/found out is that the house is located on Byron, Mi-it was built in the 1850's and it was a residential home until the 1920's, then it was a hospital up until the late 1940's early 1950's.Then the house was a old person's home until the late 1960's early 1970's then it went back to being a residential home.

My grandfather bought the place in the late 80's from a couple of elders. The elders told my grandfather that the house was haunted and told him of all the stuff that went on in the house, but he didn't believe them and thought that the elders just lost their minds being in the old house by themselves.

When my grandfather finally moved in, he heard footsteps and banging in the night but just thought that the kids were sneaking out of the house (at the time he was divorced and had three kids living with him, all in high school. Sometimes they would sneak out but those nights were far and few) so when he got up and asked his kids who had sneaked out of them, they all said No (non of the kids ever lied), but he had never believed them, up until all of his kids moved out.

I had asked my mother what she had experienced in the house-she told me that she remembers hearing voices, the stairs creaking, running water (my grandfather once had turned off the main water line to do some plumbing in the basement of the house that is when the heard the running water), footsteps, she also heard the same footsteps on the carpet, babies crying (her room used to be two small rooms, a nursery and a surgery room).

I remember her once telling me that she was in the house alone one night and kept on hearing footsteps, voices, etc. (before I was born and sometime around her marriage in 1991) so she called up my father in the middle of the night to get here. My father at the time was in the Marine Corps and was afraid of nothing. And yet, he got chills down his back the minute he entered the house and said that my mother looked like a ghost herself.

Also, I asked my grandfather what was the scariest experience he ever had in the house. He told me that in the middle of the night he would wake up to a cold draft on the right side of his bed and he felt it move to the left side of his bed (kind of like a person walking around a bed). Then it would stop moving, just stand there, then as quick as it appeared, it disappeared. And that's only the half of it. When the cold draft stopped, he could smell perfume where the cold draft was. He claimed it was the spirit of a woman from the 19th century.

As for me having any experiences all I can remember is my mother and grandfather getting nerves from time to time. I personally never paid much attention to the house but looking back, I always had nerves feeling like my mother and grandfather did, from time to time.

The last few things I will mention are that when my grandfather first bought the house in the late 1980's, he and his kids found a lot of old hospital equipment in the basement and old junk in the attic (what we believe to be Blue/Red military uniforms and lots of old newspapers).

He and his son in the early 1990's found what they believed to be horse bones buried around the house (My uncle and grandfather were tilling a garden). And the last thing I will mention is the house used to be part of the Underground Railroad during the American Civil War.

If you or anyone you know may have any questions or are interested in anymore stories about this house please leave a comment or email me at monroec1992 (at) yahoo.com.

P.S. I love hearing any comment/stories you may have regarding my story and I will happily respond to any of your questions as soon as possible.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, gruntman, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-28)
Wow, Gruntman, it sounds as if your family home is simply marinated in history! You ought to see if it might qualify for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places, but that, of course, would require some serious digging into the 'hard' facts concerning the house and land.

That your family might hear residual sounds from the hospital days is not surprising--let's face it, hospitals are places where tremendous amouts of energy are released that can, by the sheer volume of the emotions, get imiprinted on the atmosphere.

Please feel free to contact me--I'd like to hear more! 😐
Cdn_Tinkerbell (2 stories) (13 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-28)
Hi Gruntman,

Your story has intriqued me. I personally would like to hear a more detailed account as to events happening in the house. Have you done any research on the house? If you do I would love to hear what you found.

Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-28)
Hi Gruntman and welcome. I realy enjoyed reading your story. I like Frawin, realy like the fact that you are being honest here. There are some people who want some attention but this story is different. You can tell right away when a story is fake. This one for me is real. I also like the fact that you told us stories of what your family went through. I bet your mom is a believer. Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-28)
Hi Gruntman sound like a civil war house or hospital that are kind of small. Yeah house can be very old expect my grandparent's house is very old too.
FRAWIN (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-27)
Hello gruntman. I found your story quite interesting. I particularly like the way you state,"To start off the story, I was very young (4-5 years old) so I do not remember a lot about what went on in the house..."-- this tells me you are being completely honest and adds creditability to this story. I would very much like to hear more about this house. Thank you for sharing this story with us and welcome to the site. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-27)
Gruntman, hi and welcome to the site.

I was really stunned while reading your story not simply because of the events that had taken place in it but mainly because of the history behind it. Are there any records that can certify the history of your house? I'm not referring to 'oral tradition' or rumors behind it but real evidence in formal papers? If you get hold of such documents, you might be able to discover much about the deeper history of this house.

I'm suggesting this because I own two very old houses myself and the history behind them was spine-chilling!By searching carefully through the records, I was able to understand some of the reasons behind the strange events and this helped me to later deal with what I couldn't live with.

I found the past owners' revelation to your grandpa concerning the haunted history of the house surprising, to say the least, since talking about ghosts to a prospective buyer isn't a way to do good business but, still, some people I suppose are very honest!

I'd very much like it if you could somehow write more of your family's experience at home maybe in a more detailed fashion (That's just me 😊). Maybe if you get them to describe some of the events that were more challenging to them?

Thanks

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: