You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: A Haunted Antique Coat Rack?

Real Ghost Stories

A Haunted Antique Coat Rack?

 

This past Sunday, July 27, 2008, my younger brother, his girlfriend and I set out on a little ride to an Antiques Store in a little town outside Windsor. We always see this store from the highway because of the bright red roof and it looked pretty nice. I thought it was great, maybe I would find another piece of furniture or something. Amber thought it was great too since she was looking for a half moon table for her living area.

We left around 11:00 and arrived around 11:30. It wasn't far from where I live because I live at the end of Windsor. Tecumseh town is just across the road. We thought it would take about an hour, but it didn't. As soon as I stepped into this place I thought it was great, we all did. It was like a Mall. So much to look at. I walked in and to the left side, ahead of me, there was a coat rack. I have been looking for a coat rack here in Windsor, but haven't found anything I liked. I walked over to check it out. It was so sturdy, heavy and old and a good price. This was the one I wanted. Amber and Greg went to the right of the Mall. I didn't see them for a long time because this place was huge.

Finally, Amber found a three tier table and yelled at me, hey Judy, I got myself a nice table. I walked over and told her that I found a coat rack. She thought that was great because she knew I have been wanting one.

We packed everything in the van and went home about 3 hours later. The first stop was my house. My husband was out golfing when we left and upon arrival, seen the coat rack and thought it was pretty sturdy and nice. An old antique. I cleaned it up with oil and even tightened the screws a bit on the claws to hold the coats. I set it in our foyer near the front door.

Now, I have bought other pieces of furniture at Antique Auctions and stores, and have never, ever believed that a piece of furniture could be haunted or something. I thought I was going crazy thinking such a thing. That evening while in the family room watching TV a screeching noise came out of the wooden coat rack. It was so loud and piercing like it was stretching. It was very creepy. My dog even looked up and stared at it. Then there were noises from it like crackling wood burning in fire, you know like a bonfire or something. The noises were loud. I thought to myself, this is coming from a piece of wood?

Now, my husband took Monday and Tuesday off of work this week so he was home when the next incident happened. He has not experienced this yet and I didn't tell him because I thought it could be from the oil.

I was sitting at my computer, he was walking up the stairs to the foyer and my dog was with me sitting on the living room floor. All of a sudden, this coat rack made the loud screeching noise and then a big crackle came from it. I looked at the coat rack because it was right in front of me and it was moving back and forth. I think the noise was so loud and long it made it wobble back and forth. What in the heck was that my husband says? I started to laugh and said it's the coat rack. He said the coat rack?

Later on in the evening, Will checked out the coat rack looking at it closely. He said it could be the wood from the oil you gave it. I said like that? I said, Will, we have so much wood in here and have never heard anything like that, especially coming from a piece of wood.

He didn't say anything. That night while in the family room watching TV, it did it again. Other noises came from it too and sort of travelled to my kitchen. Crackling like the wood was in the kitchen now. It was strange. But, I did get an uneasy feeling from this. So did my little dog. She would stare at it from the living room and then look around as if she seen something that I couldn't see.

The third day this happened again all night from around 12:00 am to 4:00 am off an on. It was ridiculous and very annoying. I have never had noises in my home like this. Crackling wood noises coming from this wood travelling to the kitchen now? At night while I was sleeping, it would wake me up, that's how loud it was.

I didn't want the coat rack any longer. Today, July 31, 2008 I called Amber up and told her the situation and to come by and pick up this coat rack to take to the store she works at. She said sure.

I mentioned to her and my brother about this coat rack making awful noises. She said that sometimes when you buy an antique, there could be something attached to it. I said get out of here. Nothing ever happened with the pieces I bought in the past. She said yes, this could happen.

I told my mom and she said if you get rid of it, bring it over to her house. I told her I don't want it in your home, it will freak you out and you don't need to hear these noises it makes. It is pretty creepy mom. The noises travel too.

She said really, and I said yes, trust me mom. I want to get rid of it! Amber said to me, so I guess I won't call my sister and my mom to see if they want it. I told her don't give it to anyone you know. She said okay.

My dog Chloe lies down in the foyer on the floor and hasn't done this in 4 days. She would stare at the coat rack and then move her head as if watching something move while laying down in the living room. She never acted like this before. I guess she didn't like it either. When I got rid of it, it looked like my little dog had a smile on her face.

And, tonight Chloe my dog is lying down again in the foyer. Strange. Poor thing, maybe she sensed something from it too.

I called Amber this evening and told her I haven't had any noises in my home since you came and picked it up, Chloe my dog is lying down in the foyer on the floor and the heavy feeling around the home is gone.

I am so glad it won't be in my house tonight. It woke me and my husband up last night off an on. We could not believe the first noise coming from it. The others after were loud, but they weren't anything like the first big noise. It would last for about 30 seconds.

While I am typing this, there is no heaviness in my house and no crackling coming from the kitchen or the foyer. My dog Chloe is again in the foyer and not afraid to lie down there again. It is nice and peaceful. Looks can deceive!

Can antiques have ghosts attached to them? I would say yes now. The last four days with this coat rack have not been very pleasant. A very uneasy feeling we had here at our home. My husband even feels better too, and for sure, my dog is back to normal. Noticing my dog not lying down in the foyer the last 4 days caught my attention too.

Since ridding of this coat rack everything is back to normal.

Other hauntings by lilblackpom

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lilblackpom, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Riarocks (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-28)
Hey! If you read my post (there's only one written as of now) you will find some minor similarities because all the furniture in my house was totally creepy... I have not read the other comments but I personally do believe that certain things can carry something negative with them. It is always safer to dispose them at the earliest. I think you did the right thing
ManuchesterUnited (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-21)
In my comment below I meant angry not anfry! Or like the person who first owned that piece died because his head hit against it... Use your imagination!
ManuchesterUnited (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-21)
Maybe the tree from which it was built from was haunted. Or maybe it's just like a horcrux (you know in harry potter, I guess you can try looking horcrux up. If it doesn't work, then: A horcrux is an object in which a person hides their soul. It makes the creator immortal. Maybe that piece of soul was just anfry at you. ๐Ÿ˜‰
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
Hi Vicki (again!) ๐Ÿ˜† I didn't think that anything else would happen with this "old piece of wood" lol. It is kind of out of the ordinary what happened. Thanks for posting and I hope to share it soon. โค
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
Okay Judy, I'll be watching for it, I hope there is a part 3. I enjoyed reading the first two.

Vicki ๐Ÿ˜Š
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
I will definitely let you know more on this darn coat rack! It seems there might be a Part 3. Geesh! ๐Ÿ˜•
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
Wow, does sound like to me that the coat rack is connected to something experiencing all those things after the coat rack was brought into your home, and even your dog noticed and felt uneasy about it, poor thing, thanks for the story and please let us know if anything else happens.
Vicki
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
Hi faerielike. This thing scared the crap out of me, my husband and little dog! I am so glad I got rid of it. I am going to write a part 3 soon because I found out more info. Geez, can you believe this from a wooden coat rack? It's unbelievable. Thanks for your comments.
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
I thought that was a really interesting story! I have a haunted antique piece but nothing like that! I wonder if it was a survivor of a fire... Or maybe a nature spirit haunted it. Maybe it wanted you to burn it so that whatever haunted it would be set free! Who knows with these things. โค
TwistedWispersNeko (3 stories) (90 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-06)
I've heard of items being haunted. I can't say much as to what or why. Some antiques have a history with them, that you can look up, and some you can't, cause of all the owners its gone through.
Karyn (1 stories) (63 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-05)
This is not an unknown phenomenon. For reasons unknown to most of us objects can be "haunted". My Grandmother once gave my brother an old clown doll. It was the size of a toddeler and he was terrifyed of it. It would move and be in different places each night. I do not know if it was the doll itself or the house we lived in but I threw it in the garbage one night and the trash collectors picked it up the next morning.
My brother used to sneak into my room and sleep on the foot of my bed for the longest time after that and I would wake up to his cries and let him snuggle next to me.
I DO believe with all my being that anything can be cursed/haunted.
You did right by getting rid of it and not letting anyone you know have it.
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-04)
Hi Dan and everyone. Thanks for reading my stories here. As I said before, this must be the year for me to have ghostly experiences! I don't know why. I will also think twice now before buying an antique. Take care of yourself Dan. There is another story I would like you to read and its on the psychic site. It is regarding my brother's death. I have a question. If I came in contact with a full body apparition of him with clothes on, what would that be? He was here on earth. It reminded me of the movie city of angels. A ghost experience or another psychic experience? I don't know. Hope to hear from you soon. J ๐Ÿ˜•
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-04)
Hi ChrisB. Thanks for your comments. I just finished submitting a second part to this coat rack. Hopefully it will be published here. I just can't believe to this day that this happened. When I see an antique that I like, I usually buy it and have thought about this until recently. With all of the activity coming from this "piece of wood", I really do believe it to be haunted. Take care of yourself, Judy ๐Ÿ˜Š
BboyFreeze (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-04)
Ya, I believe that there are spirits attached to these furnitures. They are sometimes attached to trees too! Especially antiques, sometimes the owner of the antiques wanted to guard over it, that was why they actually 'live' in it. God bless you. Luckily you removed it quickly.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-04)
Wow very creepy story. It reminded me of my story. I later learned that objects may aswell be haunted by spirits. It may sound wierd but trust me it happens. Spirits can get attached to something they realy liked. Antiques are a good example of that. Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-04)
By the way, I am writing a second part to this story and hopefully it will get published. Spoke to Amber today and she told me another bit from this coat rack. J ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-03)
Thanks everyone for reading my story. I still can't believe that a "coat rack" had a ghost or spirit attached to it that I bought. It really never crossed my mind until this happened.

There hasn't been any noises like the ones heard from this old piece and my little Chloe is a lot more comfortable these days. Glad to rid of the darn thing!

Judy ๐Ÿ˜•
Dan (1 stories) (51 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-03)
I'm glad to hear you got rid of it and everything is back to normal. It never occured to me furniture could be haunted but now you've shown me that it can so I'll think twice before getting anything.

Thanks for sharing that great story, I'll look out for other stories that you've written.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-03)
Have heard of things like an antique piano acting up but never a coat rack. Guess there is a first for everything. Outside of the wood reacting to heat in the house or being oiled for the first time in years there is no rational explanation. Even with those things it still seems unlikely that the dog would react to it if it was totally natural. I know wood can expand and contract and make a lot of noise in the process but that's usually floor boards and doors not coat racks. I have an old one from the 1940's and it's never made a sound lol. Makes one wonder what kind of spirit would attach itself to a coat rack of all things. I would have had to experiment with it and given it to someone for a night just to see if it happened to them as well. It's one way of knowing if a thing is haunted or a place is haunted. Great story and the first of it's kind that I have ever read involving a coat rack.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-03)
Hmmmmmm...this story will make me think twice about buying second hand furniture now ๐Ÿ˜œ. I believe that it is entirely possible to carry in a "spook" on a piece of furniture-especially if it's antique. Thank you for sharing your story with us, I found it very interesting. Take Care.

FRAWIN ๐Ÿ˜Š
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-02)
Rhodes, my husband usually doesn't say too much about ghosts, etc., could be skeptical but he does watch Ghost Hunters and thinks it is neat. Lol There is one other story with him when we were on vacation.

Now recently, the thought of bringing home an antique like this never crossed my mind. Chloe my dog has been very relaxed since I got rid of it. She is not staring and watching something move up the stairs. There hasn't been any loud noises either or crackling of wood. Nothing in the kitchen. I just thought it was very strange for this to happen. This must be the year for me to have ghostly experiences or something! Take care of yourself, Judy
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-02)
I'd have to say that maybe your husband now has re-evaluated his initial idea about the spirit world and would like to join the site? ๐Ÿ˜Š

Trust your dogs-they see so much more than us. Watch them closely though for a longer time to see if they still feel comfortable.

Unfortunately or fortunately I, like you, have a passion for antiques and collect them. I've always believed that I was ready to deal with whatever past they carried but mainly because I didn't believe they could carry anything more than 'history'. I was proven wrong. It's not that I'm being terrorised by anything but, things can become unsettling sometimes.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-01)
Hi lilblackpom. What a story! I believe that items can have spirits attached to them, I guess you know that better than I do!I've never owned something like that. I really enjoyed your story, thanks for sharing. By the way, we're practically neighbours. I live in London! Good day,eh!
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-01)
Another comment, it's too bad this happened because it looked perfect in my house ๐Ÿ˜ข
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
-1
16 years ago (2008-08-01)
Hi everyone and thanks for your comments. I just couldn't believe this happened. I won't forget this experience. I never thought an old piece of furniture could have something attached to it. If I didn't get rid of it having Amber take it to her store, then I definitely thought about kindling it. I thought if I did it that way, maybe something would be seen in the darn fire! I was too chicken and so was my husband! Lol Thanks much! Judy

PS KimSouthO I will check out your profile for your story. Thanks ๐Ÿ˜Š
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-01)
I have heard of souls or presences or what ever you would like to call them becoming virtually attached to an inantimate object such as a furniture.

Whew! I would have done exactly as you did. Get rid of the darn thing, if not that way, then it probably would have become kindling.

Had a sort of similar experience with a rocking chair. The story is under my profile.

God Bless!
Lisamaxw (92 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-01)
Wow! Talk about "buyer's remorse!" If nothing has happened since you got rid of the coat rack, I would imagine that whatever-it-was had, indeed, attached itself to the coat rack. A few thoughts: (1) What would've happened if you would've rubbed it down with holy water? (NOT a suggestion! Just a thought.) And (2) I hope that Amber will let the prospective buyers know about the "bonus" that comes with the coat rack! Hope you'll let us know if anything else happens. God bless.
Lisa

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: