You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Red Coat Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

The Red Coat Ghost

 

Ladies and gents I am back with another haunting. This time around it happened to me on several occasions; I was about 9-10 years old when it first happened. I was riding my bicycle in my mobile home park and in the back we had woods with some bike trails in it, well we had three entrances to the trails one was what we called the "hills" the other was the "gates" and the third was called the "graveyard".

We never learned why it was called the grave yard, though before are mobile home Park it was a junk yard. Well I used to like to go through the grave yard when it was dry because it was the best flat spot for racing, well I decided one day that I would explore the trails and after I got about half an hour in and completely lost I started to get worried and began to cry (hey I was a kid).

When I saw someone walking just off the trail I started to get real scared until I noticed he was wearing a Revolutionary war British uniform. I first thought he was a reenactor but I noticed I could see through him so I followed him until he came to the opening to the trails and just vanished I was not so much scared as shocked to realize I had just seen another ghost and in broad daylight.

I told my best friend M.J (he asked not to have his name used) and he told me that he had seen it also the day before. Unfortunately I moved a few years later so I never got to dig for clues and. And a few years ago they developed that part of the woods for a subdivision so I do not know if he is still seen.

All of or run inns with him were more of a residual haunting than an interactive one. Just another of my many encounters (sorry if not as good as the first post)

Other hauntings by youngdz79

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, youngdz79, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Dakkers123 (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-19)
Youngdz79,

Do you by any chance have an interest in that certain period of history or did you when you were younger?

I have had times when I was alone and things that interested me or scared me always appeared and no one else was around to experience them.
It is strange that your friend saw the same figure but then again, the world is a strange place.

Maybe you should go back someday and see if you can find it. It would make a good local story if you guys had enough evidence to back it up...

Well, good luck

Dakkers123
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-04)
OOOOOH! Sorry. I thought you were meaning me as I had mentioned Detroit as well. My apologies.
Just one of the "dangers" of not being able to see the person who is leaving comments. You can not really gauge WHO they are talking to. 😊
Thank you.
youngdz79 (6 stories) (58 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-04)
Hi whitebuffalo, Yeah I saw what you meant a couple of my friends who read the story on here said I needed to clarify my exact location as most people think Detroit goes from the river to Lansing 😆
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-03)
[at] Whitebuffalo- let's have your comments please on my latest episode.
Surya
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-03)
Oh, it sure was known for the concentration of Native population that resided in that small area. I can not speak for the others that have commented here, but as for me, I was pointing out that I came from the Detroit/Warren area, and that area seems to be overrun with a few residuals of it's own.
We had a bit of a bike trail up the road from where I grew up (nothing large, or fancy enough that we had more than one plank set up to jump this teeeeenie little hill, and THAT came from an abandoned house just up the way) nestled in between two houses. The area was not all that big as there was minimal space on that road, and Goodness knows we have to try to make use of every inch of land for development. But, nonetheless, it was a trail for us kids to try our dangedess to keep the hospital in the area in business.
It was a very rare thing for any of us to have gone in there alone.
I do not honestly recall who saw what, and who felt something else, but we were not the bravest against something we could ride our bikes THROUGH. I have often thought that the location was enough of a difference to our everyday walk through the city, that maybe we projected something there that really wasn't just as we had no real knowledge of a plot of land being PEACEFUL.
I will never really know the answer to that, unfortunately, as the developers finally won out, and there now stands a beautiful garden home where our trail once was. If I was brave enough, I might talk to the present owners just to have a look around.
I am just not that brave.
Thank you.
youngdz79 (6 stories) (58 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-02)
Cline1986.

That is a good theory, however he had been seen several times after the event and my friends also saw him.

And from everything I have read usually the angles are not seen by other people.

But your personal opinions are always welcome to my stories
youngdz79 (6 stories) (58 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-02)
thanks all who have posted.

Whitebuffalo I do agree with about the stories not being over dramatic to be thoughtful.

Also I realized from the comments that some people seem to think I am near the Detroit river. I am going to reveal my location.

I live in Ypsilanti Township (dang I hate doing that) the area in the story is about a 1/2 mile to a mile from Michigan Ave. Just east of the city of Ypsi.
And at one time in was known for the amount of native Americans in the region (from what the guy at EMU tells me).
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-02)
cool story.
It was nice a weird to.
Have a nice day.
GIRLIE ❤ HAVE A NICE HAUNT ALSO
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-01)
A story really does not have to be over-dramatic to be a good one, and I would say that with the discussion it provoked... This one IS a good one.
I would have to think, just with what you have written that both you and your friend did encounter a residual guard. If he is simply pacing, and at approximately the same place and time, (which timing does not necessarily prove that it is residual, but it does help when wading through the clues) it would point to residual. Did there appear to be any deviation, differences in the two encounters, or did you discuss it with your friend?
As with many a battlefield residual, the extreme energies and emotions of the living is what actually traps the vision there. It is not a closeness to the land (as some would claim) nor is it thought of unfinished business per say. It is more in the bundle of fields around the living. War is... Senseless, as are the murders that go along with it, no matter who it is that is involved in the fighting. It is easy to see how an area would retain the emotions of such a highly emotional time.
Coming from the Detroit/Warren area, I know that there are many a "trap" in that area. A lot of violent, unprovoked attacks on human life occurred, and many sights have been reported.
Thank you for sharing this with us.
cline1986 (7 stories) (50 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-31)
I don't know if you believe in angels or not, but personally I believe that when you got lost and started to cry your guardian angel made himself look like a british soldier to help you find your way out of the woods.
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-31)
I think a lot of history is left out--and even historians themselves, I suspect, are divided over whether to treat Pontiac's War as a separate war or merely the last phase of the French and Indian War.

Either way, a lot of people--both European and Native American--died as a result, which is the true horror of any war in any time period.
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-30)
youngdz--So you already were familiar with our transparent bretheren through Fred. There was the War of 1812 as well when Fort Wayne was taken by the British for a time. Don't know how much of the territory was settled by us white folk, so I'd agree with you about the Pontiac War.
I like the story, too, and this old soldier, and wonder how he died to be still parading the grounds at that point. A real loss you can no longer return to the spot for further information from him. As a native Michigander, thanks. ~ James
youngdz79 (6 stories) (58 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-30)
well we are 45 Minuted away from Detroit and the area is near an area where Native Americans did stop and set camps for trading.

It is more than likely that you are right libertybelle, but as most people are never taught on Pontiac's War I opted to use our Revolutionary war. 😉
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-30)
I wonder if your British soldier might not predate even the Revolutionary War.

Depending on how close you lived to Detroit, he may date back to the 1760's, and might have been an unfortunate casualty of Pontiac's War (1763-66).

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: