You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunted Texas Road

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Texas Road

 

When I was 15 years old, my dad built a new home in River Canard, a little community before Amherstburg, Ontario and this is where we relocated to. We had over an acre of property and were surrounded by woods and farmland except for a few homes in the area. At present, this area is heavily developed with new homes. Our old home still looks great!

Texas Road was up the road from us. This is a road that many say is haunted and there is a lot of ghostly activity that takes place there.

My brother who was 16 years old at the time asked if I wanted to go for a ride with him in his new car and take a neighbor friend of his up to Texas Road to see if it is really haunted. I said sure thinking that we would get a good spook. Hearing all of the stories about this Road, I didn't believe in much of this and thought the stories were made up.

It was daylight and the sun was nice and warm. From our street we made a left-hand turn onto Texas Road and started to drive a little slow, not too fast. There weren't too many homes on this road. There supposedly was a haunted cemetery and bridge that got washed out. You can't miss it if driving there.

Even though the sun was out that day, it was kind of getting a little dull and dreary on this road riding up to this area. Finally, my brother stopped the car and said okay, there it is, let's all get out and take a look.

Looking around, there are trees and bush, a wooded area, an old shed and it looked pretty foggy there. It gave us the creeps when we started to walk. We heard the sound of twigs being snapped and wondered if it was some kind of animal and there was kind of chill that you got. I had the goose bumps and so did my brother and his friend.

It just gave you the creeps seeing the dense fog and a dull grey color of the area. I said to my brother I want to go back to the car and leave. This place gives me the creeps and is spooky. He said okay. We ran to the car. My brother and his friend hopped into the car and left me there for a joke standing in the middle of the road. Next to this place of all things! They thought it would be funny to leave me there to get scared. They didn't have to leave me there, I was already scared from the walk we had!

I started to run and didn't think it was funny at all. I looked back at the place and thought I seen a headless horseman riding on a horse. I started to get frightened and tears were coming out of my eyes. I was yelling for my brother to come back repeatedly.

All of a sudden my brother and his friend came back and pulled up next to me. They noticed I was crying. They were laughing when they pulled up but when they seen me, they stopped. My brother asked what was wrong and I told him what I seen. He thought I was joking. I told him no and I explained what it looked like.

It went very fast and was a shadow figure as if galloping in and out of the wooded area. It went fast. I hear the horse's galloping but seen a ghostly apparition of the figure. I can't explain it other then this.

I could tell it gave my brother and his friend the creeps because after I told them this, he took off like lightning.

After this incident on Texas Road, I heard of all the stories but never really checked into it.

I found out that there is a ghostly apparition of a headless horseman/woman on a horse seen by many people. There is a fog even though it is a clear day out in this area. It is dull grey in color and sometimes looks greenish. This is exactly the color I seen. There is a cemetery and an old shed on this property and also a washed out bridge.

No one is supposed to go near this area because of the ghostly activity and hauntings. I dated a fellow that lived on this road but farther up near the street I lived on. I asked him if he was scared living on this road because of all the stories heard and by what happened to me. He said it was his place where he grew up. But he also mentioned to me that he would hear a dog howling and it bothered him. He said he checked around the neighbors and nobody owned a dog on that street. Actually, there weren't too many houses in the area. Maybe 3, 4 and they all had acres of land between them.

I found out that Texas Road is one of Ontario's Haunted places and there is presently a film/movie being made of this Road.

I was young when this incident took place and I forgot about this story until recently and thought it would be good to write about since there are many stories about Texas Road. Thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by lilblackpom

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lilblackpom, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

LaurenAKK (7 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-10-21)
I know this story is very old but I'm doing research on texas road to hopefully write a fictional story based on the legends. I lived in Amherstburg from age 4 to 19 (I now live in Windsor) and I have actually never been all the way down to the end of texas road. So, I decided to search it on google street view to see what it's like. At the dead end, there's cement blocks in a circle, a picnic table, and then the path that leads to the bridge and the cemetery. I got creeped out just looking at it on the computer and here's why... A few meters down the path, there's a dog. Okay, sure, it could have been a dog that lived in one of the three houses right before the dead end but I would hope that no one would be that stupid to leave their dog outside to roam when it's such a big area and there's definitely coyotes out there. So I really do hope it's a ghost dog and the same one that your friend heard barking.
I want to go explore that path so badly now but I'm honestly a little terrified.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-01)
[at] old_dude,
Well I have to say that you've certainly piqued my interest about the area. Just from your account alone it would make my top 10. Thank you for this account concerning the findings of your own research and experiences. I found it quite refreshing and hope to hear more of your experiences in story form so they won't be so easily bypassed.
Don't be a stranger old_dude, we always love a good true story.

Jav
old_dude (16 stories) (112 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-30)
When I was in high school in the early 90's myself and a group of my friends explored and researched a lot of the hauntings in Amherstburg & Malden area. We eventually got pretty deep in the events of the area and had several events that scared the hell out of us and eventually we stopped our research. The area has a long history of violence and strange events. If you use google maps you can get a fairly good idea how the area is laid out.
Long before the British settled in the area the local Indian tribes would battle over the lands along the river and mouth of Lake erie. Most of the lands were sacred and have several Indian cemeteries. (The end of Texas road has an old Indian cemetery along the water. The land that is across from the Duff house was an Indian cemetery and the low area along the road running along the river (sandwich/18hwy) where the old Esso boat docks are also was an Indian cemetery. If you search the web you can learn a ton of things about the early settlers and the wars around Fort Amherst/Malden and the battles around Fort Detroit and the Indian wars later. There is a lot of historic churches and one that is tied deeply into a Templar/Masonic lore. After the wars the rebuilding of Amherstburg and the uneasy peace with the local Indian tribes was very violent. The navy yard ship yard and the Malden bluff (known as the dike or Malden point is a place where many ships ran aground of the moving sand bars and rock jetties and sank)
The slaver raids and the underground railroad. (I would encourage anyone to come and see the old black museum)
In the 90's the area was a hot spot for crop circles and government vans and mysterious people.
Even now it is a hot spot for smugglers, and odd events that happen in the night.
It is a very beautiful peaceful town with strange happenings. I would encourage anyone to come visit and look around.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-29)
Very tragic history in that area. Very interesting though. Thanks for sharing old_dude. 😊
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-29)
old_dude: Thank you... That was one of the most interesting things I've had the pleasure of reading in a long time!... 😊
old_dude (16 stories) (112 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-06-29)
I have lived in Amherstburg area for over 30 years. I think I have some facts that might shed some light on this area.
First of all I'd like to expel some of the rumours of this area and give some of the facts out. (which can be more scary than the rumours)
Texas road was a normal county road that I traveled often both as a child and a young adult when I first got my license.
The bridge was still being used and so was the graveyard.
The bridge was not washed out... It was closed. The bridge was old and needed updating but the main reason it was closed was because of all the strange activity that was happening there. (not paranormal) Kids would gather under the bridge and conduct cultic activities. Also they would jump out at passing cars in the night. This was becoming such a burden to the police that they would have to assign a cop to stay guard of the bridge and the graveyard. Instead they closed the road. The cemetery also went through a lot of caretakers, because of all the vandalism and night activities of kids and weirdoes.
It was also a popular spot for crimes, such as rape or group beatings to occur. There have been many strange events that happened there over the years; Including a few dead bodies being discovered in the covered creek.
One of the strangest events, I witnessed. Several years back some group of kids, captured several animals and stapled, or tied them to the trees and utility posts with barbwire. Most of these animals were road kill but many were alive and maimed. It was in the paper so I am sure someone could make the effort to find the article. It happened there and along one of the concession roads out in Malden township. It included: raccoons, squirrels, skunks, cats, dogs, and even some rabbits and birds.
The forest next to the cemetery was a ranch called Sutton creek. It was a place where I use to go horseback riding with my family. It had trails along the creeks that passed right next to the cemetery.
The farm hands often spoke of a white horse that would appear in the trees in the early morning hours and spook the rest of the horses. A few times I heard them saying that all the horses would be huddled against the barn side of the field when they would see the white horse moving along the tree line in the mists.
That area is bad for morning fog or mist. It is also bad for deer and coyote. If you drive it in the morning hours you'll discover it quickly. The farm no longer exists and the land has been used by the military for basic training for awhile now.

When I was a kid I was told of several things about that road and cemetery. I did a lot of research and actually visited the cemetery and looked into the history of the soldier buried there for a school project. I can't actually quote names and dates, but I could get the information if anyone was interested. The headless horseman is actually a commander from the British army. He was killed in battle and brought back home. On the journey home the regiment was attacked by Indians. The soldiers being outnumbered by the Indians fled, leaving the supplies, horses and the dead. The supplies and horses were robbed and the bodies of the dead were dismembered. The commander's body eventually made it home and was buried.

As a kid we were told that his ghost would come out and watch over the family land to guard it against hostile Indians and American soldiers. I was also told that hostile Indians killed his family in an early raid.
But I have always considered the events that happen at the Texas cemetery, Texas bridge, Fort Malden insane asylum and old Boblo docks as different events.
The bridge I was told was the location where several accused witches were burned. Early British settlements had burned several Indian/British crossed women as witches when they practised their native ceremonies. It was also supposed to be a form of retaliation to Native Indians who changed sides in the wars. It has been a sight for satanic/cultic events ever since.
The Fort Malden asylum was supposed to have treated many soldiers suffering from war trauma. They also were supposed to be the location where electric shock therapy was tested including some military experiments of the time. It is said to be haunted by the tortured souls of the inmates.
The old Boblo docks had a small forest next to it. (now the location of a modern house) In the forest was an old stone foundation. It was a trading post own by an old British soldier. And after the war he would conduct many trades with the local Indians. (Often getting them drunk to take advantage) The Indians would get angry and steal back there goods from him. So in return if the Indians stole back there goods, he would go into the Indian camp at night and steal the Indian children and sell them for slaves in the USA. He became the source of the Boogieman legend. The name was a Native translation that has been messed up over the years. (I had a Highschool teacher tell me this. He was a historian and belonged to a historic society that studied the early wars in Canada specifically around Amherstburg. He had a lot of soldier journals and historical archives... So I reluctantly believed him.)
I was also told that there were many haunted areas along the river especially old farm houses, because the American slave hunters would track escaped Slaves to the shores of Amherstburg, (the location of the end of the underground railroad) and would often conduct raids, burning Canadian homes suspected of helping freed slaves. They would kill any slave they caught. Sometimes Soldiers would arrive in time to kill the American slave hunters, but most of the time it was a "hit and run" thing. So the grounds around Amherstburg and Malden especially the old swamp areas and farm lands have a lot of haunting stories and sightings.
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
Hi again Brownie. Texas Road is a very spooky place 'til this day. I was a teenager when this happened as was my brother. You know how brothers are and I have 3 that included Chris. Only girl! I haven't been back since but I know others have. A movie will be coming out halloween of this year about it. Take care of yourself, Jude 😉
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
Hi mudd. What happened when you went? Did you experience anything and did you take any pictures? Thanks for commenting here to this story. Hope to hear more from you. 😊
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
Hi kylieann. Sorry for your experience also. This place is spooky! Did you take any pictures while you were there? Jude
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
Okay that story was scary I would have probably started crying to especially seeing something like that. I can't believe your brother thought it was funny to leave you in that road alone, and after you explained the thing to him he got scared too, Just glad ya'll got out of there okay. 😊
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-11)
Update concerning the movie: Heard it is to be aired on Halloween this year. Will keep you updated.
cupcake10132 (4 stories) (193 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-11)
Holy hell. O.o I live in TX and somehwta near Onatario Dx I can't wait for that movie to be made, after the mvoie I'll check the road out... Hmmm... I'ma have to tell my uncle or cousin about that place. Love the story by the way!
mudd76 (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-11)
great story thanks for sharing. We live in the area, a friend and I are going out there tonight, its 12:00 now it will take about 20mins to get there... And yes we will have a camera in hand.
MDK94 (19 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-10)
Thanks for the story lilblackpom. I had a theory that this was a soldier from the period when the U.S was fighting Mexico over Texas and he was a soldier, beheaded, but then I saw you lived in Canada and the confusion was cleared instantly. I have no clue where this wayward ghoul may be from but another theory of mine was he owned the land around there and was killed by something (probably beheaded) and can't pass on. This story was DEFINATLY entertaining and I plan on putting this in my favorites
kylieannxo (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-09)
i actually went to texas road last night.
And it was honestly the scariest thing of my life so far.

I herd some tales from some friends about it recently, so I asked my friend with a car to drive us.
It was about 930pm and it was BLACK, pitch black. There was only about 4 or 5 houses on texas road and each one looks run down and super creepy. As we pulled up and parked at the dead end I immediatly got the chills.
I smoked a ciggerette to calm myself.
There is a small path through some trees to the left that lead in a zig zag fashion to a cemetary. I didn't even bother going that way first because I was terrified. So we chose the main path that lead to I believe the barn and a shed. Not even 20 feet down the path I heard twigs snapping all around me and then I heard someone wailing or crying. I swear I heard it. My friend didn't hear a thing. I can honestly say I heard it. I turned around and ran as fast as I could to the car. We sat in the car and I had the flashlight on the dash board pointing out the window, which wasn't smart because we could hardly see out the window. That's when I saw something about the size of a 10 year olds shadow dart from the big path and down the small path leading to the cemitary. I started balling my eyes out because I was so scared. Texas road is definatly haunted.
DUnknown (4 stories) (65 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-09)
Please do tell me the name of this upcoming movie for I am eager to watch it. Keep us posted and updated. Once again, thank you for sharing your experience to us-keep them coming!

God bless,

JAY
wanderer (6 stories) (71 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
Great story lilblackpom 😁 I have family in that area and I can't believe I have never heard about the hauntings there. As for your brother driving off without you, I kind of hate to admit it, but that's the kind of thing I would do. I know, I know I'm a horrible person 😢 Next time I'm in the area I'm going to have to check the road out.
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
Hi ChrisB. I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for reading my stories. I have had a lot of experiences in my life but let them go aside until I happened to stumble upon this site because of my trip to Toronto this year. Now I can write about all of my experiences and receive input from them. Thank you again for reading. 😊
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
Bellissima, yes this is the movie they are making about Texas Road because of it being haunted for years. My parents even heard about Texas Road when they were kids. That's a long, long, time of things happening in this area. Production has already started but I haven't heard when it is going to be released. My mom can't wait to see it also... There probably isn't one individual at our end of the "universe" that doesn't know Texas Road is haunted. There is at least one story to a family about this place.
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
Thank you trau, ChrisB and Bellisima for your comments. It is truly a very haunted and creepy place. You have to see it to know what I am talking about. You will see though if you ever go there what I am talking about. As per the headless horseman/woman, it is very real and the dog howling/barking, it is a dog not a coyote or anything of that nature. I know because I used to live in Arizona and heard coyotes all the time.

Bellissima, if you take a trip out this way let me know and I will meet you and maybe we can get pictures or something. I would go back if somebody else is with me just to take pictures. It is a scary to be though. Thanks everybody for your comments, I appreciate them. 😊
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
Hi lilblackpom. This is one I hadn't heard of!Naturally, since it's in my area, I was really curious about it so I did a little digging. I can't believe I've never heard anything about Texas Road! There are so many people who have reported experiences there, many of them telling close to the same things you related. A lot of people said they've seen the headless apparition, felt the heaviness in the atmosphere, heard the snapping twigs and the barking and howling. People say the whole area is just weird. One girl said there was a sign stating that the bridge was washed out but when they went down there the bridge was intact. Someone said they took pictures with their digital camera in the cemetery and images turned up on the camera that weren't visible with their naked eyes. The whole thing was so freaky, they high tailed it out of there. I see the story is in at least 2 books that I came across. Thanks for making me aware of this spooky place, I'm going to see if I can make a trip to Amherstburg sometime and check it out. I enjoyed your story!Oh!I did hear something on AChannel the other night about a movie being made in the area, is this what they were talking about? I missed the actual story so I didn't hear the details. 😊
trau (4 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
Hi Lilblackpom

Thanks for an interesting story - I read something similar in a book (part of a series) about ghosts/ghostly activity that something close to what you saw happens somewhere in Scotland as well - a woman who fell asleep in the hills on a sunny day - woke up a few minutes later to a re-enactment of a man on a horse being beheaded and this played over and over. Great read - thanks!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
Wow thank you for sharring this story with us. At first I thought that this was the imagination of a young girl who got scared but when you said that there where other people who saw it to then I knew this wasn't your imagination. Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-07)
This place is haunted and has been for a very long time. This story happened to me 30 years ago and to this day, numerous people have talked about and seen the headless horseman/woman. If you don't believe this, please keep your comments to yourself that are putting the writer down in any way. Overactive imagination this is not and I never will be. But I see that some of you like making up your stories and do have overactive imaginations. Thank you.
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-07)
Per Emma and Dragonlord's comments... I am finding some of the comments on this site pertain to ridicule and distastefulness. Emma, I don't have an overactive imagination (maybe you do) and dragonlord, what is with the viking crap? As for both of you getting mad at my brother, we were kids and out to have fun.

Please leave your comments to yourself if you don't have anything nice to say. Thank you.
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-07)
HI, cool story. I though it was really cool besides the part about the headless horseman, I mean that can't beliveable. In my part.
GIRLIE 😁
Emma2008 (4 stories) (110 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-07)
Did you ever think that wild dogs (such as coyotes or domesticated yet homeless dogs) could have been behind the howling? I also feel you had an overactive imagination.

I don't think it's very funny that your brother left you there, not even for a moment. Once, my uncle and my female cousin (about 16 years old at the time) got into an arguement while driving us to our grandmother's house and he pulled over and she got out and began walking towards a citrus grove. He thought he'd teach her a lesson and drive off. He only went around the block and only after a couple of minutes or so we came back to the same spot to find that another car full of men had stopped and were chasing her, probably going to rape her or worse. Luckily, my uncle blew his car horn and the men scattered and she ran back to the car, terrified of what could have happened.
WRP (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-07)
Wow! I don't know what I was thinking when I sent my last message. Dragonlords comment is what I was thinking the whole time. Sorry to spread confussion. My bad!
WRP (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-07)
I have to agree with Dragonlord. Leaving someone alone in the middle of a hot spot is not funny to people who Know what is out there. I'm truely sorry you had to go through that. But I don't believe that it was a solder that young. I believe it was a "solder" from the Viking era from when they invaded the locals in the early 1000 to 1100'S AD. I'm not sure of the time they came to the Americas. But I believe that was the time they came to Cananda.
dragonlord (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-07)
im srry I mean he (soldiers were male)
But I don't understand your brother; what's so funny of leaving you whole alone.

Take Care
Dragonlord

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: