You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Dark Figure

Real Ghost Stories

The Dark Figure

 

It was early morning in Northern Pennsylvania. I was at a log cabin in the woods about three miles in from the closest road. I have been to this cabin many times over a period of years. I always had a feeling I couldn't describe when there, but didn't give it too much thought. I figured it was the simple unexpectedness that the woods give to people who respect what lives in them.

Near this cabin was an old clear cut from a logging company that went belly up. My friends and I set up a fire ring in the middle where we used to sit, cook, and drink. The morning of my experience though I was sober as a bird.

I exited the cabin to smoke a cigarette on the little stoop in front. I lit my cigarette and looked up at the clear cut. Standing in the middle of the clear cut was the perfect outline of a man. It was all black and when I saw it I felt a feeling of despair that I never felt before in my life. I wanted to run. I didn't though. Not because I couldn't, but because I wanted to stay.

I called to my friend in the cabin. He came out and asked me "What's uh..." That is all he got out because he saw the figure too. This made me feel great because I knew I wasn't losing my mind. But at the same time I felt the worst dread ever because I knew the figure was real. At this point the figure let out what I can only describe as a growl.

I say that because we both felt the "growl" rather then heard it. My friend and I both ran for the jeep at this time. We got in and I drove off. Just to let you know how freaked out we were, I drove 140 miles, while speeding, and I didn't have my license at this time. That morning will be with me until the day I die.

We never went back to the cabin after that. We sold it to a group of hunters who now use it for a deer camp. One day I want to talk to one of them to find out if they have seen the dark figure too.

Other hauntings by WRP

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, WRP, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Nephele (3 stories) (101 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-29)
it GROWLED?
That's interesting.
It may just be a lost spirit who died tragically.
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
I somewhat agree with Frawin... I think it could have been a nature spirit. Was this in western PA by chance? I have heard there is a lot of Native American activity in those parts and wonder if it maybe could have been an angered Indian spirit.
sylviessweeties (135 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-14)
That would have been a very spooky encounter. My uncle Patrick saw a shadow of a man looking at my dad from behind him. It would have been the soul of my dads uncle Billy who died on my dads 4th birthday. They went to visit my Uncle Billies old farm. I was only about 3 then. My sister 2.
rstahley (3 stories) (102 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-13)
Isn't it creepy to think back now and wonder how many times you were at that cabin and that "dark figure" was there and you didn't know it. That would freak me out.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-11)
Wow this was a scary experience. I realy enjoyed reading your story. I think that it was very interesting not only seeing this spirit but to feel his presence. I realy liked it. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
burning_flame87 (1 stories) (52 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-10)
I think its a human WRP. Your own assessment sounds most feasible to me. It might have been someone who died in the area trying to communicate. The growling you described could be attributed to two things I can think of.
One. It was the entity. It would have taken a lot of energy to show itself. Maybe it did not have enough to speak properly and that was the best it could do.
Two. The noise was unrelated to the entity. Perhaps something else out in the wilderness. There is another possibility of course. Perhaps we are looking at some kind of cryptid here. This is of course very unlikely. Just some thoughts. All the best.
wendymneil123 (7 stories) (24 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-09)
There is something about you x not sure what it is...

Can't explain it, freaky experience thou x
Believer1101 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-09)
It looks to me like what ever it was wanted to scare you off and did a good job at it. I would have done the same thing in your shoes. No telling what kind of things you would have experienced had you stayed. Great story!
WRP (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-09)
Plus the company that clear cut the area went belly up about 16 years before, with the clear cut happing 23 years before the expirence. I think that's to long for a "nature spirit" to be angry. Especially at some one who wasn't alive at the time of the logging.
WRP (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-09)
Thank you for all your feedback. The fact that some of you think that the spirit was a "nature spirit" is a theory I thought of myself. But it felt as though the spirit was a human. Just the experience and the way I connected with it in that short time I was confronted by it was enough to convince me that it was not a protector of the forest. I believe it was a spirit of a man that either was very attached to that spot, or it was a man that had an untimely end at or around the area.
Linkrules2008 (20 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
wow that's creepy. The spirit didn't only have a feeling of despair but anger and possibly fear. But it's good that you moved away. If you lived there for a while you might start feeling really depressed. Or angry.
Spartan070 (12 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
my opinion is that was a demon (daemon). I have only encountered one once, and seen only 2 pictures of them and heard one story. Every time though, they are pulling a big prank. BUT they are still very dangerous.
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
Hi WRP. I enjoyed reading your story, and thanks for sharing it. Hope to read more of your stories in the future.
Kirska (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
I tend to agree with Frawin. I bet it was a resident of the forest, angry because his trees were gone.
FinanceMajor (1 stories) (64 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
Its amazing that you not only felt the presence but also the feeling of Despair.
It makes you wonder, the afterlife has its own emotions good and bad. I guess seing is believing, that's what it takes.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
Hello WRP. My first thought was that it could have been some type of nature spirit. You said that you always had a feeling that you couldn't describe- that could have been the spirit. The growl that you heard/felt could have been him showing his anger over what the logging company done to his forest.
Thank you for sharing your story with us, it was very interesting. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: