You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Electrical Appliances Turning On and Off

Real Ghost Stories

Electrical Appliances Turning On and Off

 

This happened about an hour ago and has been recurring for the last hour. Meaning it's still going on. But it has been stopped for about 10 minutes. I was on my computer doing some research for my homework and I had my phone off because my friend kept calling me. I seriously turned it off, I mean I really really turned it off. I had it off and my music on and my room lights on and my computer on and well you get it.

I was researching and my phone started ringing, I answered it and my friend called and I talked to her for like a minute or so, after I hung up I remembered I had it turned off. I looked at it, and it was off. I called my friend on my house phone and asked her if she had just called and she said yes, and she had called my cell phone. I was really creeped out, but I just said okay and hung up. A few minutes later, my music stopped playing and I checked my iTunes if something was wrong, nothing was. So I checked my speakers, nothing. The volume dial, nothing. I was kind of confused at this. Just as I had my ear right next to the speakers to hear any static, the music started playing and I screamed. Not because I was scared, it was because it hurt my ear.

I calmed down and was almost finished with my essay when my computer turned off and turned back on. All in under a few seconds. Yes I was upset at my dumb computer. But I was more confused. Confused about my phone, speakers and computer. I went to ask my dad if anything in the house was acting weird, he said no. Even if they were acting weird, it wouldn't explain anything. So I went back to my room to finish my essay .. again. But when I stepped into my room, I felt as if something was different. When I looked around, my phone was on. My iPod was on. My camera was even on. It was weird and when I looked around, nothing else was on. My computer was off, my speakers were off, and my lights were off. I was really creeped out. My speakers were off, like when they were on, the switch was on "on", but then it was turned to "off". I turned all my stuff on. My phone, camera, and iPod, off. And now here I am telling you about what just happened.

Any ideas about what just happened to me? Oh! And just so you all know, my brother is out of the house and my mom is out shopping and my dad is upstairs. So nobody was in my room except for me. Please tell me what you think!

THANKS!

~Hannah~

Other hauntings by HannahE

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-03)
Vendorslendor, I am not sure if you can submit it at this time (when it gets too full it seems to automatically stop taking new submissions) but you will get more responses if you post that as a story. It sounds to me like your boyfriend is emitting excess energy that is effecting the radios. That it got worse when you were agitating him is an indicator. As long as he is afraid it will probably continue to happen. On the otherhand it could be faulty wiring or a strong wireless signal in the area.
vendorsplendor (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-03)
I came upon this site after trying to search what might be the cause of my boyfriend's room mate's speakers and alarm radio suddenly starting to play. He was afraid and immediately suspected paranormal activity, although I am more skeptical. However, I do admit strange things have happened.

My boyfriend, Stefan and his room mate, Evan, were just talking about how in the past week, Evan's speakers in his room upstairs randomly turn on. It had happened in the middle of the day and Evan mentioned that once they turned on in the middle of the night, blaring polka music, a station he never listens to. In fact, he always had his system switched to CD and doesn't use it to play the radio. AS WE WERE TALKING ABOUT IT, Evan's speakers turned on upstairs. I don't remember what they were playing, but I think it was a basic rock station. Stefan was immediately concerned, so I thought I'd tease him by taunting this supposed "ghost". I asked if there was a ghost, or if it turned on the speakers. I continued doing this for a while but nothing happened. Stefan wanted me to stop so, being the bad girlfriend that I am, I started yelling at the ghost, telling it to get out of the house or come down and show itself. I got really mean and really crazy sounding, and I thought it was funny until the speakers increased in volume. This excited me- as skeptical as I am, I'd LOVE to prove the existence of a ghost, at least in my own mind. So I continued talking to it, asking if it was trying to communicate. Then I went upstairs with Evan and turned of the speakers. The plug-ins were close to the wall, and the speaker was unusually warm after only having played for a minute or two at the most.
I've never witnessed anything else, but yesterday the subject was brought up again because Evan's alarm clock radio in the bathroom has started turning itself on now. Just yesterday afternoon it happened.
Footsteps, bumps, noises and other sounds have spooked Stefan as well, but there are units on the far and left and right sides of his apartment, and I've debunked those as being his neighbors.
Still, what the hell. Why is there no explanation for these occurrences as far as I can tell?
Hankdaddy (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-20)
This is happening to me and my wife as well. She started experience a switch in a cabinet being turned on constantly. Now our Bedroom TV turns itself on at 11:17 pretty much every night. We have unplugged it, tried checking for sleep timers, and other things. The funny thing is it doesn't turn on the night that we have company or are not home. I even set up my camera phone at 11:15 and let it record and sure enough it did it for it. It's too specific to be a resister or the remote batteries dying. Or am I just missing something!
ghost166 (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-26)
thats so weird that same thing happened to me last night I was in my room sleeping then at 9:44 my cd player came on then at 12am the light in me and my dads room came on 2 times we both think this is ghostly paranormal activity 😐
elawton1980 (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-28)
I've had similar things happen to me with appliances. I heard my bedroom fan turn off one afternoon. It has no remote control. I only live with my mother, and she wasn't home at the time, so I know no one came in and turned it off without me seeing or hearing it. I thought maybe the fan had died for good (though it isn't old). I went over to it, turned it on, and it worked like it always does. It wasn't the electricity, as nothing else in the house went off (I was on the computer at the time, so I'd know whether it did). The fan is by itself on an outlet, too- it didn't go off because the circuit was overworked.

My printer (on the same outlet as my computer and three other things) has gone off and come back on by itself, while the other appliances stay on. Now, if the electricity goes out in my house, the printer will turn OFF, but it can't turn itself back on. I have to physically hit the power button on it. In other words, a breaker didn't switch over and it wasn't the electricity going out. It's less than two years old, it was not a cheap model, and it works just fine- so it's not that it's a machine that's having problems. No one's in the room when it happens, or I'll be asleep and nowhere near the machine (it's in my bedroom).

My one other experience was also in my bedroom, which has made me wonder if it's something about ME that attracts these occurrences. (My mother has never had anything happen to her.) I had a boom box which had a power button on one side, and then a button with three settings on the other side- tape, CD and radio. I always kept it turned to CD, since I never played the radio or tapes. It took a little effort to push the button from CD to tape or radio. One day I turned it on, and the radio came on instead of the CD player. It was blaring "Ray of Light" by Madonna, right at the beginning of the song. The only thing is... I didn't have the radio tuned to a specific station. It wasn't a system with a knob, it was an electronic radio you had to set with several buttons or the remote. Maybe I could have pushed the button to come on as radio (though I doubt it), but I didn't have it set to a specific station. I still haven't figured these things out.
SkAlArIaK (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-16)
Hm, at first my guess was you didn't turn off your phone completely as it was your friend who called, not a weird call... And then again powe surges do happen causing stuff to restart (i.e. The computer) However after reading a bit further it goes a bit too far... I don't think its anything to worry about, however it does seem extremely strange.

=]
Mindi (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-02)
I'm not sure what causes such stuff, but it has also happened to me as well as my kids. They are now young adults and sometimes still have those weird things happen. One time late at night I was on my computer, everyone was in bed and the blender in the kitchen turned on. All by itself. It made a racket like someone using the vacuumn cleaner in the middle of the night. I thought it was my youngest son who is a night owl cleaning his room or something in the basement but he came up to check the noise also. The weird part was the blender was not plugged in and it stopped when we went into the kitchen.
The other morning the alarm went off by my bedside at the regular time... And exactly the same time the TV came on all by itself!.
One night a few months ago I was on my computer when the stupid thing started acting up opening and closing files and stuff. I checked to see if I was being hacked but there were no outside connections. Then the lights started flickering just in my office. I ignored it thinking it was probably the wind as it was a bit windy outside. THEN the lights started to dim and brighten. It did it three times. That was really weird as we don't have a dimmer switch in the office and none of the other lights in the house did any weird stuff. It was like something was trying to get my attention or something.
I don't know if it is a ghost or anything like that, but these sorts of things happen to so many people it can't be all immagination and there is probably an explanation for these things. I wish I had an answer, as its the not knowing that is scary.
HannahE (5 stories) (9 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-02)
Actually, I'm just going around checking any comments about a few times a week. And I seemed to have neglected this one. Anyway, it does happen every once in a while. It has been happening about every other week. Last week, I was home alone working on some homework at around 8 pm, and all of a sudden, the doorbell rang and when I opened the door, nobody was there. And also, I hadn't turned on the outside lights, but they were on. Not to mention that when I got back into the kitchen, the kitchen lights were off. (It's weird) I think it might just be me, but I kind of think that it might be my grandmother. She always used to tell me to turn the lights on or off to "save electricity". Haha, it's funny to think that she would be back and trying to communicate with me. She passed away two years back, in the same week my great uncle passed away from cancer. Still to this day, I don't understand why she would come back here when nobody else is here. And only to me. For when I asked my parents and my brother is they had have anything happen to them, my mom only said that she had a dream with her mother talking to her. Telling her how nice heaven was and all that. So I'm not sure. So please, if you have any ideas, please tell me. Thank you Aurora. By the way, you should make yourself an account. You have very good advice :]
Aurora (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-21)
I just did a search for paranormal experiences with electricity. I don't know if you are still checking this post out, but I'm curious to know if the on/off stuff is still happening for you. (3/21)
This has happened around me for years in small doses something going on and off on its own, but lately has become more intense. I believe that someone is trying to communicate with me- but don't know what to do. It is freaky.
I've lost power for no reason tripped circuit on lights. I've had lights go on and Off, the TV turn itself off- right in font of me, the phone light up when no one was talking (land-line), a fan turn itself on- all in the past few days. Oh yeah and the heat thermostat get turned way up.
I like alone with a cat. The cat of course is incapable of turning on and off the appliances I just mentioned, or affecting the functionality of electricity or the phone.
So though I'm not scared- I am freaked. It's good you have a family with you, and whoever has been trying to get your attention may just be passing through.
Not sure how to acknowledge the attention at my place! I'll try to do more research on this.
HannahE (5 stories) (9 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-06)
Thank you very much for commenting. And yes it has been reacurring on and off for the past few days since it started. But I don't think it will last, my dad got a electrician to come today, and he didn't find anything wrong. And ever since he came, nothing has happened, well except like an hour ago. The WHOLE house kept flickering. Except for the TV's and speakers. But its been calming down, so I'm not worrying. Thank you all though :]

~Hannah~
james (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-05)
you know whats wierd? I have the same expriences but instead my TV goes off not my computer or my ipod or music,"ok sometimes my music goes off put hardly ever". I was watch a show on discovrey channel"cant remeber the name of it", but there was a girl in a town who said that she left to tell her mom that her skater figure fell off the TV and she didnt even have the TV on, it moved once, then twice, then something just slid it right off the TV. SHE whent to tell her mom like I said, but came back and her whole room was trashed, bed messed up, pictures torn off the wall,clothes on the floor, everything was on the ground. anyways, I have had alot of exspriences like this 1, all I can say is that maybe just go on with your life, and if it happens again, get proof, I mean cam-corded,EVP, anything to help you see whats there...


get better
james
unguided_traveler (9 stories) (35 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-05)
hey Hannah, I get what may be going on... I can't really explain it in technical terms, you'd have to get an expert on that, but the same things happen to me all the time. like, i'll be watching tv and suddenly the sound will cut out into static and i'll hear someone talking but it isn't the show I was watching and stuff like that. the deal with the computer has happened to me too. I was finishing an online course and the computer just turned off then back on again. I wasn't creeped out, just royally po'd!!! has it stopped at all, or are you still experiencing it? please let me know, i'd like to help.
Mini (13 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-05)
The ghosties are definitely lurking about! I really don't know what to suggest to eradicate the problem though, but I hope others have some helpful input to help you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: