You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: Scared Of The Toy Room

Real Ghost Stories

Scared Of The Toy Room

 

I want to share something that happened a few years ago that has, to this day, baffled me.

My ex-husband and I dropped off our three children at his sister's house to spend the night. We were going to a party and were going to be late coming back so decided it would be best for us to pick them up early the next day. According to my sister-in-law, these were the events.

The children (my two girls and boy and her daughter and son) were playing in toy room when all three of my kids came out and told her they wanted to go home. They said they didn't want to be there anymore and they wanted to go home right away. My sister-in-law thought it was strange since our kids have always gotten along, so she asked them why. They said they were scared to be there and couldn't really get much more out of them. She was able to get my four year old to sleep with her daughter but couldn't get my other two to stay in the bedroom, so she laid them down in the living room on the two sofas.

She sat next to them reading a book while they slept. She said that suddenly my son started talking in his sleep. She tried to pay attention but couldn't understand anything he was saying. Then my daughter started talking in the same gibberish my son was. She freaked out because she realized it sounded like they were having a conversation with each other. She said it sounded like they would respond to each other and the conversation was getting a little 'heated'.

Suddenly, my daughter started tossing and it looked like she wanted to get up but was being held down. She started calling their names and telling them to wake up. She yelled out when she felt someone touch her from behind. She turned around with her fist up ready to sock someone and there was my four year old, saying she's ready to go. My sister-in-law asked her, "Go where?" and my daughter answered, "Mommy and daddy are coming to get us now." She pulled my daughter over to her and sat her in her lap, and turned around to look at my other two. They were sound asleep, not making any noise or movement.

At that moment the door bell rang. It was my ex-husband and I who had returned early because neither one of us was comfortable at the party. We were not enjoying ourselves and felt very uneasy, so we decided to go back to my sister-in-law's. If the kids were up we would take them home, and if not we were going to spend the night there, at his sister's house.

We came in not knowing anything of what had gone on a few minutes earlier. We moved the kids to the spare bedroom and all went to sleep. My sister-in-law said nothing to me until the following morning when she asked me if that had happened before. Of course I said, "NO!" I didn't know what she was talking about. She told me that she had been terrified while all this was going on and that she swears it sounded like my kids were speaking in 'tongues'. I didn't know what she meant and she tried to explain what that meant. She saw she was scaring me so she said, "Well, maybe it was nothing and I was just over-reacting." We left it at that, but both of us could tell the other was still thinking about it.

I sat down with my children and asked a million questions, but they had no idea what I was talking about. All I got out of them was that they were not comfortable in the toy room because "the people there don't like them."

It's been two years since this happened and I've never experienced anything like this with them, but I've always wondered what it was. Any ideas? Anybody know what my sister-in-law meant with 'speaking in tongues'? Her explanation didn't make any sense to me. My children are fluent in English and Spanish only. I tried to research this and other experiences on the internet but can't come up with anything.

Other hauntings by Melisande

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Melisande, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-06)
I'm reading all the comments and felt I had to add my two cents, it seems that the 'whole pie' has been commented on but in pieces.

Speaking in Tounges is when a person speaks in a language they have never been exposed to/do not know or an anicent and long 'dead' language. Sometimes it is as simple as 'pig latin' (speaking words backwards). I'm not sure what happened to your children, but you share a very special and close bond with them, even though you were not near them you and your Husband 'knew' something was wrong and you went to them. That is a wonderful connection to have.

Reasearch into the history of the property may help in understanding what happened to them on the night in question. It does not sound like it was anything harmful, though I wonder with as sensitive as your Family seems to be if a couple of spirits were not channeled by your older two childern while they slept. Again, nothing harmful, just a spirit using an 'open' channel (sleeping child) to communicate through. Hope that makes sense and does not scare you.

Respectfully,

Rook
anne_k92 (4 stories) (31 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-06)
i guess its probably the spirits in the toy room's doing. Perhaps "they" dislike your children presence in the room and want to warn them to stay out. You could take your child to the church and pray or bring the priest and let him exorcist the room. Just my opinion, doesn't mean anything okay? Anyway, nice story. 😁 Sorry if got some mistake in my grammar.
jeepgrl16 (12 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-14)
your kids are fluent in English and Spanish.
But what if the ghosts arent? 😉 🤔
Doggirl1 (1 stories) (4 posts)
-1
16 years ago (2008-09-09)
Speaking in tongues is when you start speaking in all sorts of different languages at the same time.
Melisande (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-03)
Thanks everyone for your comments! My sister-law has not mentioned anything unexplainable going on in her house. When my oldest was younger she use to talk about the indian that lived in her auntie's house but nobody else heard or saw anything. She never said or acted afraid but that day all three of my children said they didn't want to be there and wanted to go home. In fact my oldest always complained that she couldn't sleep in her bedroom because the 'lady' wouldn't let her sleep but she loved staying over her aunts house. My little one always wants me to go to the restroom with her and stay with her when we visit. I will do some investigating on the internet on the house and will try to look up to see if I can find anything about what happened. Thanks again for your comments knowing there is people that have experienced something similar or have theories of what it could be makes me feel so much better. Makes me feel like my family and I are normal, well almost... 😁
Biemaster (7 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
Hi Melisande!

This was a very unusual and interesting story you gave us there! I have not experienced or seen or heard of these types of stories so I don't know what to say. You or your sister-in-law should definitely check out the history of her house. There must surely be something hidden in the history of the house. Has anything like this or apart from this happened to your sister-in-law or her children? Thanks for the interesting story and I'm looking forward to hearing more of your stories!

Biemaster
demonboy (8 stories) (38 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
this happened to me, I was on camp with my school mates sleeping at about 11 at night and I kept making weird noices and like push my chest up asif something was biting out of it. I also began to speak weird language and apparently at the end of my sentence I said god is with you not lucifur. Weird huh hehe. Also good story um I don't know what can help I'm sorry.
Demonboy
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
I agree with whitebuffalo, except I call it the original language. I have heard it spoken, I have spoken it (while in dream state) and I have translated it. It is all very interesting. Thank you for sharing your story with us, it was extremely interesting. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
My opinion, for what it is worth, is that your children, while in their sleep state, were speaking in the language of The Old Ones (that is just a term used when speaking of those who are in the Safe Place. It is thought that they speak an ancient language that only a very few can articulate).
In my opinion, they encountered someone in the play room (children are more receptive to the Other Side as they are "closer" to their tenure there) that gave them pause. Whether it was a "mean being" or just someone they did not understand will have to remain a mystery. What you can take to the bank, is that they did not like who/what they saw, and went for help.
While sleeping, it is possible that whoever that was was trying to resume the connection. And your children were not going to have ANY of that.
I believe the four year old was still able to sense things, as I believe ("I" is underlined there) everyone is born with psychic ability. It is all in our environmental and family upbringing as to what we choose to retain.
Thank you for sharing this story. If you would like to view a few more stories that speak of children with this ability, I would humbly ask you to check out My Father-In-Law, and A Four Year Olds Tale. Some of the answers you seek may be in the comments to those.
Thank you.
Grox6 (2 stories) (51 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
There might have been a ghost there. Check the history of the house or the land. If there's nothing wrong with the land, it could be a demon or something else. 😕
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
Hi Melisande, I looked it up on the internet, what it meant and here is what it said it means, To speak in tongue is to let the Holy Spirit (The third person of the Holy trinity) to speak to you in a language, not understandable by humans, but on the other hand, it could have been something to do with another kind of spirituality, knowing that your kids said that the people didn't want them in that room, it could have been something else. Sorry I couldn't be of much help, there are other people on this site that should be able to help you out. Thanks for sharing your story though. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: