You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: The Ouija Board

Real Ghost Stories

The Ouija Board

 

Everyone knows Ouija boards are dangerous, don't mess with them right? But eventually, you'll try it, for curiosity's sake. This story came from my mom. She and her best friend were about sixteen and they were trying to get in touch with spirits.

They had darkness, candle light, a full moon and an Ouija board. They sat in the middle of the room in a protective circle. At midnight they began. They asked questions like how many children they would have, what there husbands names would be and how many people were in the room. It answered none of their questions; it stayed still unless one of the decided to try and move it, but it didn't budge. No cheating allowed, I guess.

The third time they asked how many people were in the room, the board shook and the pointer was ripped from them and slammed into the wall and the glass broke, then the board joined it and slid slowly down the wall. Their candles then blew out and they sat in darkness until they were so scared, they bolted for it. They raced outside into the lawn and under the street light where it was safe. Her brother came home and found them crying in the street and thought someone had attacked them.

They went back inside to find there chalk circle broken in five places.

Other hauntings by safire

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, safire, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

succubiluv (1 stories) (365 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-23)
Against the still-growing sum of recorded Ouija board accounts, the belief that the subconscious mind is the fundamental agent producing the experiences on record is continuously challenged.

There is a skeptic's theory called ideomotor response which says that the planchette movement is caused by subtle automatic muscular action.
There is another skeptic's theory that claims all events connected to the use of the board are only reflections of the mental content of the participants, particularly their memories.

As an outside observer, the problem with the last theory above is apparent in cases wherein someone accurately relates facts from the past or present which their memory has had no access to.
Many cases of this type are available, but one on this site is the story entitled Daring Spirits With A Ouija Board. In this case, realtime info not previously recieved into the mind of the inquiring participant was verified in the presence of witnesses.

Other cases that contrast with the logic of the belief that Ouija boards only draw on what's already in the mind are those in which the things experienced in connection with the use of the board are new in the lives of those using it, and are longstanding.
It is doubtful that all of these people have been abused earlier in life so as to have an abuse-filled subconscious for the board to draw upon, as some skeptics teach.

It could be said that someone watching horror movies would in time develop a mental closet, so to speak, that housed the raw material needed to produce common feelings of fright in certain situations.
But the myriad cases of prolonged physical and mental abuse suffered in association with the use of Ouija boards represent another kind of fear experience altogether.

Some of these cases include those who had never experienced what to them are supernatural events prior to their contact with the board; they wake up from peaceful sleep and see, hear, or feel unexplainable manifestations by pattern or at random and whether or not they approve of it.
Stories like Don't Mess With Ouija Boards, and Ouija Board In The Basement on this site show occurrences hard to explain away as the results of random mind energy. To those who live through them, events like those give the singular impression of having been created and controlled by something able to demonstrate a will and an intelligence not originating within their own selves.
Many cases include the hearing of clearly audible speech.
I suppose that would be a very strong subconscious which could repeatedly talk out loud to its owner.

Even if we grant the subconscious mind authority over all our brain states (beta, alpha, theta, and delta), or grant the theory of spontaneous telekinesis, the issues of real applied external force involved in many of these experiences, and of extended reoccurrence of events far out of the ordinary, would still not be resolved.

Some cases may involve personal medical issues.
But those that do not, if they amount to even 1% of total cases, still present a logic problem for the skeptic beliefs earlier mentioned.

In spite of opposition raised against the idea, continuous reports indicate that Ouija boards and supernatural beings are obstinately set on sticking together.
AshleyHalliwell (4 stories) (100 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-17)
Wow. It's a good thing that they're ok. I've heard stories where the income is just horrible. Well I use a Ouija Board and haven't got a horrible response... Yet. ❤ If you ever want to use one then just use it properly and this shouldn't happen. Also the five points did it maybe look like an upside pentagram, considering that's the sign of evil.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-16)
I think that Tonith may have a point here. I realy do believe that ouji boards do open a portal to another world and that bad things aswell as good things can happen but Young people do tend to have there own energy. Maybe this is a subconcious thing in some stories but I realy think that most events that happen after using a ouji board are caused by spirits. Thanks again. I hope to here from you soon and take care
Nikki1990 (3 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-15)
Woah, that's strange. I've done an ouija board before but it was a cheap fake one and nothing happened. Did your mother ever try it agian?
Hoochler (1 stories) (263 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-15)
Tonith
I have heard the theory that Ouija boards are controlled by the operators' subconscious. From what I have experienced directly, I do not subscribe to this theory. If the board operators' subconscious is responsible for the movement, how is that other people who were not even aware the Ouija was used at all, are sometimes affected when they enter the space the board was used?

Also, the point you bring up that sometimes real information about the future is divined via use of a Ouija board. Are you saying that the human subconscious has the ability accurately foretell the future or divine facts that are otherwise hidden?

From what I have read and directly experienced myself, I think that Ouija boards open a random portal to someplace that we do not really understand and beckon the closest entities to the portal to come through and interact with the board's operators. Perhaps someone skilled in divination can control what comes through the portal or can control where the portal appears (I don't know), but the average dabbler is just opening random portals and inviting random spirits. If the Ouija session is not closed properly, the visiting spirit (s) can stick around, in extreme cases can even cause a place to become "haunted".

Ouija boards are real and the their effects are as diverse as are the spirits they beckon.

Safire
Did your mom ever tell you if the entity ever made its presence known after this encounter? Since the session was not closed properly, did whoever lived in the house where this was done have creepy things happen after this incident?
PrincessKatie (7 stories) (420 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-15)
Its sounds like there lucky. I would never play one ever no matter what. I've heard scary stories about them which I don't want to go through what someone else has gone through or experienced. Thanks for sharing your story.
SnailBug (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-15)
: (I'm kind of disappointed with the stories that have been published lately. Thank you for sharing, though.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-15)
Sounds like teenage kinetic energy to me. I know many will not agree with me but that's my take on it. Let's suppose it was a lower spirit form. It would still need your energy to manifest. I know as a 16 year old my energy was in high gear. What I am saying is you and your friends could have been the ones doing all this and you ended up scaring yourselves. I think of the ouija board as a tool for knowing what lies in the subconscious. I don't know if it really has to do with lower level entities. I could be wrong but that's what my experience has taught me about it. On the other hand many an adult has had information gained from it so guess it depends on the sincerity and knowledge of the user.
safire (3 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-14)
No, she hasn't used one since, and she won't allow one in the house. I tried to buy one last year and she sort of threw it across the store... 😕
Tydin (1 stories) (30 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-14)
We hear a lot about bad experiences with the boards... There must be something to it. Thought I'm not sure it's fair to label them as "evil" or anything. I think that they are just another tool to be used and the only faults lay with those who use it and don't have the how-to's of the board. I'd love to hear more stories with good experiences.
Anywho, great story, if not a little far fetched in places.
terriwarren (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-14)
Your mother was indeed lucky. Many times, an evil spirit will pretend to be someone else so it can be released. An authenticated medium is the best way to contact the spirit world. 😲
Timesobserver (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-14)
It sounds like your mother got lucky. I heard far more scarier stories about the Ouija board, but then again, I wasn't with your mother and I'm sure it scared her badly. I'm just glad that your mother got lucky and nothing really bad happened to her. Did she ever try it again?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: