You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Sleep Paralysis Or A Demon?

Real Ghost Stories

Sleep Paralysis Or A Demon?

 

This happened early in March or April, but I had taken a new sleeping pill, but it didn't seem to be working. So at 11:30 I got up, used the restroom, and came back to my bed. The moment I lay on my back I had left this world. I couldn't not move, breathe or speak. Commonly known as sleep paralysis. My jaw was locked as I tried to scream. In my left ear was a horrible roaring, like some creature out of a movie.

In my mind I saw myself dancing with a man, a man in clothes from another century as was my gown. When that image faded I saw an ancient cathedral, with tolling bells in the distance. Eventually I was able to open my eyes; it was as if my body has been released. But to my horror at the foot of my bed was a shadow.

Thick and black, seeming to have no shape, yet I saw a bald head, large dark eyes of obsidian and a leering grin. He/it just stood there and I closed my eyes for only a second but when I opened them again he was gone. I looked at the clock. Midnight. Only a half-hour had passed yet it felt like seconds. I was so scared I could only lie there under the covers, not daring to look back at the foot of my bed.

I don't know what he/it was, or why I've experienced sleep paralysis all my life, when the average person only has it about twice in their life. I've researched the topic many times, from the legends of a witch sitting on your chest, to the incubus that like to stalk the women at night.

Being an insomniac I have NEVER fallen asleep as fast as I did that night. I want to know more about what I saw and experienced.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Mrs_Demeo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

qgmoore (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-11)
Something like that happened to me but this time it was like around 7am in the morning and I was very tired. I got up to go to the bathroom I got back in my bed and as soon as I closed my eyes and rolled on my back I couldn't move. But this time my eyes were halfway open and when I looked I seen a dark figure with white eyes on top me with its hand on my chest. I was yelling but nobody in my house heard me. I couldn't move my legs or anything the only I barely could have move was my fingers. I was breathing less and less every second and just when I couldn't breath anymore it vanished. I had to hurry up and catch my breath when it left, that was really scary. This happened many of times to me though but its been a long time since yesterday that it happened. I forgot to say my prayer this time cause when I usually said my prayer it would leave right away.
katie100 (1 stories) (26 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-29)
From what you have described I think its somebody from a past life haunting you maybe because you did something wrong or they abused you in that life. Thanks for sharing your story, I hope what I have said makes sense:) because normaly it doesn't xxxxx
skandalouz82 (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-14)
The same thing happen to me except fot the visions, I heard a growling or roaring in my left ear (cause I was sleeping side ways), it sounded like an angry bear, it's scary cause you're awake. The way I describe the black shadow is like a jellyfish, it's foggy & smokie but you feel it in your body as it gets closer but since people can't move its hard to catch the shape of it and it was at the edge of my bed. I used to think it was sleep paralysis... Not anymore, they say people experience sleep paralysis only when they sleep on their back but it happens to me whether I'm sleeping on my back, stomach, sideways; and before and after waking up. The only thing I recommend to anybody who's experincing this is to just relax, breathe slowly and realize that it can't hurt you, it may scare you but when you know it can't harm you it gets less intense. The last time I experinced it was 2 days ago, I was sleeping on my stomach and when I woke up and heard strange sounds and realized I couldn't move... I started praying in my mind and as I was trying to say the word jesus I heard SHUT UP SHUT UP! From behind my head and it stopped in like 3 seconds, it sounded like the voice of a leprachun or dwarf. "sleep paralysis" has happened to me like 10 times alone in the last 2 years (im 26). So if it happens to you again (let's hope it doesn't) just relax, don't open your eyes and know it's going to go away, or do like I do: when it happens to me I enjoy it cause the minute I start praying I'm my head and try moving my mouth it goes away in 2 seconds, sometimes I just laugh in my head and stay there to see how long it would go for trying to remember everything that's happening. Everyone has their opinion but I think this is no sleep paralysis, these are demons straight from hell we're dealing with,...just my opinion. I don't want people to think I'm a religious freak cause I'm not, but when I start praying in my head it goes away super fast. Take care...
melly_12489 (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-05)
i guess its kind of late to comment on this story but oh well. I acually just stumbled onto this site because I was googling "demons sitting on your chest".my boyfriend acually told me about it. He said its happened to him. He said he was asleep and in his "dream".at least he thinks he was dreaming. He woke up and there was a shadow figure at the end of the bed... He tried to scream but he cant. He can't move. He can't speak. He can't breath. He looks over at me sleeping... Trying to scream for help... But I can't hear him. He says he fights it... And soon the demons releases his grip and leaves. He says its a reaccuring dream he has once in awhile. We were acually at a friends house the other night and he brought up this dream that he kept having, it was the same thing my boyfriend had explained... From what I know they call it a demon sitting on your chest. They say its suppose to mean you have something in your life your not dealing with. Something you not moving on with. I don't know if this helps you. But its very interesting to me that you've experience kind of the same thing.
KatieChan (3 stories) (63 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-13)
Wow...You had a weird but scary expenence there! = (I sometimes get Sleep Paralysis and I'm only 14! Don't worry your not alone. Other people (inluding me) see weird things at night but not in the daytime! 😕
AprilV83 (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-09)
I know this is a delayed post, but I just found it today.

One thing you might want to do some research on is Psychic Vampires.

Some of what you said in your story are symptoms of being "attacked" by a Psychic Vampire.

Google it, you'll see 😊
mauzie (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-06)
Sleep paralysis is a scary thing! I had it only once in my life. About two years ago now, I awoke and was paralysed, tried to speak but nothing would come out and I could only see out through a tiny circle in one eye. Lasted for about twenty seconds but will never forget it! Medical reasons for sleep paralysis I have read make sense but some people say it's 'cos there is a presence in the room who will not allow you to wake straight away as they don't want you to see them! Creepy! Guess never know the real answer! Anyway, got carried away there, regarding your story I ain't sure what that was but sounds awful and scary and I hope it doesn't happen to you ever again. Thanks, enjoyed your story. ❤
Mrs_Demeo (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-19)
Well, I always sleep with the covers on, I hate not having them on me. So, I used to think that I wasn't able to breathe because the blanket was halfway over my face when I woke up out of it, but they were loose, yet I had felt like I was suffocating, as if someone was shoving it down over my entire face.
And if I was a vampire that was visiting me, I would be the happiest girl on earth, and that garlic would not be within a hundred feet of my room. But I do have a rosary, but it was in my room, so I don't see how it would be much help.
9samo9 (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-18)
man that is so stikin scary

Well since its getting close to halloween you might not want to go to sleep on halloween night

how do you sleep now
Under the covers? Light on?
Well tell me when ever you have a chance
girl25 (5 stories) (28 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-18)
i have sleep paralysis many times, I can't count them. I searched the subject too and I think it may be a lot of things,demons,incubus (cause the incubus in order to have sex with you it leads you to sleep paralysis and is a sexual demon) or the devil or a vampire as ville valo says in his songs... I am the nightmare waking you up from the dream, the dream of love (vampire heart).

What I remember very clearly is that one time I was about to sleep, I was alone in the house, it was night (in my experience it happens only night to me) and as I lay on my stomach I felt the sleep paralysis before even closing my eyes... I couldn't move or speak and the bed was shaking quickly... I could only think with my mind. I have to say that before this, I said a pray to god and christ.

I want to tell you if you want to get rid off that try putting garlic everywhere in the house especially at the heat body.
curiousgal99 (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-18)
well...considering that you were on a new sleeping pill that may have been the cause. But I do not know one thing about sleeping pill symptoms:]
I do believe in demons however. And whether it was a demon or not I would take some precautions by sprinking holy water in your room. A rosary is a very powerful weapon against the devil. So even if you arent catholic it might help to have a rosary in your room.
I have never heard of sleep paralysis before. (I don't get out much ha) but it sounds pretty scary.
I hope that things get better. If it happens again, let us know!
God bless 😊
Emma2008 (4 stories) (110 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-16)
I have sleep paralysis episodes pretty regularly. I know that stress and sleeping during "off hours" like napping can trigger them in me. I just deal with it, so to speak. I think perhaps your sleeping pill affected you strangely that night.
Mrs_Demeo (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-16)
Well...I thought it was the meds too, but, nothing like that happened after a while because I couldn't sleep with that pill anymore. So I got off that, but everytime I'd try to fall asleep on my back, which commonly provokes sleep paralysis, I could feel my body beginging to drift, not like in sleep, but like it was stretching as if I were made of taffy, but the moment I felt it coming I'd roll over and it wouldn't happen. I do believe in demons and all the things that go bump in the night. But I'm off that medicine, have been for a long time, yet... I have never had that same experience nor any quite as terrifying. I don't think I was hallucinating, but thank you all anyways for the comments:D
Ghostgirl24 (9 stories) (30 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-16)
its common to hallucinate with sleeping pills it happened to me I thought I was flying through a rainbow tunnel and ran out and told my mom that the lamp was teasing me. If you believe in demons they will come if you don't then they keep to themselves god bless
Adventure_Ms_Aqua (10 stories) (71 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-16)
Interesting. You MIGHT of hallucinated watching the whole thing. That happened to me once and I saw a printer in my room when I "woke up". That would be the skeptical version.

Now, if it REALLY was one, I'd just keep praying, and rely on your faith. 😊

Good luck with this!
PrincessKatie (7 stories) (420 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-16)
I bet it was really horrible for you. Maybe do some research on it. Thanks for sharing your story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: