You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Dark Hooded Figure

Real Ghost Stories

Dark Hooded Figure

 

When I was really little, about 4 years old, I repeatedly saw a dark hooded figure in my room. It wore a long black robe and had a hood, but where a face should be, it is just blackness. I would wake up in the middle of the night and it would be standing in the corner of the room. It would stand motionless and just stare at me.

For some reason, this did not scare me. It looked like something evil but it did not give off an evil feeling. Sometimes I would just let it stand there and go back to sleep. Other times it made me uncomfortable and I would get out of bed and tell my mom but when we went back to my room it was always gone. Eventually I stopped seeing the figure.

Last year, I started seeing the figure again for the first time. The first sighting happened early in the morning. The sun had just started to come up and I was lying in bed when I saw something out the corner of my eye in the hall. I looked over and saw the figure in the doorway. I flipped out and screamed. The figure sort of glided away real fast. My mom came running into the room. I told her I saw something and she said it was just a bad dream.

About a week later I was home alone watching TV when I saw the figure glide down the stairs. I ran out of the house and waited in the driveway for my parents to get home. I realized that this figure was dwelling in my house and I had to stand up to it and not be afraid next time that I saw it.

A few weeks went by and nothing happened. One day I was on my bed reading a Stephen King novel when I saw something black in the doorway. My parents were running errands and I was home alone. I didn't look directly at it because I didn't want to scare myself. I heard a voice say "don't be afraid". That scared me and I closed my eyes and screamed. When I opened them it was gone.

About a week later I woke up at about 2:00 am. I went downstairs to get a glass of water. I was at the counter when I saw that shape out the corner of my eye. I closed my eyes and said "you scare me a lot and I don't want to see you again." It was gone and I haven't seen it again.

Although this sounds like something like an evil spirit, it never did give of an evil vibe. It is just the fact that it looked like the Grim Reaper that made me freak out when I saw it.

Other hauntings by Zach

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Zach, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
-1
9 years ago (2015-03-19)
sald32 - please, if you feel it necessary, submit your experience as your own story not as a comment on someone else's. Even though this story is almost 7 years old, we still prefer personal experiences be submitted as its own story.
Mussi14 (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-12)
I can't believe that! (In a positive way, don't worry:)) It's just that when I was 9 I saw one too. The same, wearing a monk robe with a hood, and blackness where the face should have. Except mine wasn't black, it was in pale yellow whitish fluorescent light. And he was short too.
Three years later I started having dreams where he told me his name was Aliban and showed me aspects of his life. I'm so glad I found your story. But I wonder what this could be. A guide? A random ghost? A demon?
saltrock (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-27)
i asked my mom the other day about it and if she remembered me telling her about it when I was young, she told me that I had seen it before but aload of them, like 10 of them on horseback riding straight past me
Can remember the if they were short, but yer it had a slit down the middle
sterhawk123 (1 stories) (28 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-12)
WAS HE SHORT!? Sorry its just that it's a really important answer that I really need to know. I think I've seen the person your talking about also two more questions... Did is hood/cape have a slit down the middle? And what did his feet look like?
saltrock (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-17)
glad I have found this story, when I was young I remember seein about 10 of these figures in a field on holiday, I was the only one that could see them, but I remember on of the figures walked past me and just stared at me, I wasn't scared felt really peaceful, then it walked off ran up a tree and vanished, some times now I feel like I'm being watch, id love to see it again, glad I'm not the only person this has happened to.
rane (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-26)
i am so glad I found your story. When I was probably about 7 I had the same experience; I was sleeping in my parent's room and the sun was just coming up when in the reflection of the television I saw the black robed hooded figure gliding towards me. It did not frighten me, in fact I went back to sleep after a few minutes but I know I had not been dreaming. Recently I started thinking about that again and wondering what it was, I like to think it was a guide:)
Nevadaghosthunter (1 stories) (20 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
Zach,
I too have seen a hooded figure in monk style robes in my room from time to time since I was a small child.
During a near death experience I was face to face with this robed figure. He explained to me that he was one of my spirit guides.
He has been with me since before I was born and will be with me always.
I should find this comforting but he still startles me when I see him standing there.
My husband after all these years (22) has still never seen him.
Please consider that this robed being may in fact be there to help you, not frighten or hurt you.
I know my guardian is sometimes surprised that I can see him. Yours too may have been taken by surprise that you could see him/her that's why the comment that "don't be afraid".
scardycat (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
That is pretty scary! Very weird but I experienced something like this in the house I grew up in. I always heard noises in my room and would sleep with my parents. I'm talking even in college when I went home to visit. One night while I was living there, my mom came and got in bed with me after I was scared. About 10 minutes into it, she sat up all the sudden and said "there's something in here!" and ran to get my dad. I just put the covers over my head scared to death. He came and looked and there was nothing there. After I moved away to college, she ended up telling me that she saw 3 black hooded men in the corner of my room! Dear lord! She said she read some blessing from our pastor and told him that, as kids, my brothers and friends and I messed with Ouija boards. Nothing ever happened. I even did it by myself. So, I don't know if this contributed to all the sounds I heard in our house or what. I basically was scared to death every night there. They finally moved out of there a few months ago! I was relieved to know I won't ever sleep there again. Sorry, my comments are always as long as the stories. I just have wondered why they were wearing hoods. If that meant something awful or something.
Zach (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
I blame this activity increase on me and rob trying to coax activity. Activity has also started up at rob's house. There has been doors slamming, burn marks apearing on a coffee table, smell of smoke, faint fog filling the living room, being poked, greenish eyes in the laundry room. I sort of blame me for this.
Zach (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
My house is a fairly new house and we moved in right after it was built. The property was a farm before it was developed into a neighborhood. There is a fairly large patch of woods behind my house. I have found an old foundation with a chimmeny and a dilapitated springhouse in these woods. I have had a few fairly minor experiances recently and the activity has appeared to have stated up again because I saw a figure out the corner of my eye walk into the bathroom when I was home alone. I'm not the only person who has seen it because my buddy rob woke me up at a sleep over telling me that he wanted to go home because he saw a black shadow come out of my laundry room and go into the office. Rob has gotten interested in this stuff and we sometimes try to see if anything will happen when he comes over. One night we observed a coffee maker with no coffee turn on full blast,overheat, and set of the overheat alarm.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
What looked LIKE the Grim Reaper was obviously not Him, Zack. I don't think it was a past relative necessarily as much as a spirit either passing by and eventually got attached to you because you could sense it or someone related to your house or the land and wished to communicate SOMETHING to you. It "vanished" because as it told you the other time, it didn't want to scare you but that doesn't necessarily mean it's gone either. How long has it been since you last saw it? Has anything out of the ordinary happened in your home since you asked it to stop appearing?

Thank you for sharing.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-09)
They say if confronted ghost usually comply. Maybe it's like an unwritten law of the afterlife that they have to obey. I have always been leary of things seen while waking up or falling to sleep but that's not the case with your events. I don't know if it would help if you got some info on the history of your house or the land it's built on to help you figure out why this thing is residing in your space. I also don't know if it's a visiting spirit or one that has always been there. I also don't know if the house is haunted or if you are haunted. One other thing and this is not saying this is the reason for your sightings but what you read before bed can influence what you dream about. Maybe reading King is not what you should be doing befor retiring. Personally I love his books but they can be fodder for nightmares.
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-09)
Hmmm...Wonder why he chose to hide himself from you in this way?...Glad you stood up and took back your power. It doesn't sound like he was wanting to frighten or hurt you, but am glad for you if he is truly gone. Enjoyed reading your experience. Blessings, Ghostseer

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: