You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: The Ghost Dog

Real Ghost Stories

The Ghost Dog

 

n 1961, the world was a different place. I had roller skates with metal wheels, one bike, and no reason not to use my imagination. I had a library card, and I frequented the neighborhood park. No one was out of shape, and the kids played outdoors most afternoons. We didn't watch much TV, and we had lots of adventures.

We would go down to the end of the alley, and climb the aged eucalyptus trees. I pretended to be a pirate sailing on a great ship, and other times, I was an acrobat in a traveling circus.

As a young child, my eyes didn't want to miss a thing, and it was hard for me to sleep at night. This was the most exciting time of all. You see, I was just learning to use my gifts, and it was fun to sit in the dark, and see what wandered by.

Pretending to be asleep, I would listen for my Mothers bedroom door closing. As soon as she finally went to bed, I would hop out of bed, and climb into the window seat by my bed. Staring out into the darkness, I searched for the wandering spirits. I felt safe doing this, and none of them ever tried to harm me.

They just stared back, aware I could see them, but they only looked away. I saw them coming and going, wandering and entering the residences around our house. Every once in a while, A Ghost would wander through our house, but by the time I sneaked out of my room to look for him or her, no one would be there.

It was a nightly game for me, but I was a kid, what did I know? The first time I saw the Ghostly apparition of a dog, I wanted to call him to me. He was so handsome to look at. I think he was a golden retriever, but he might have been some other breed.

His coat was a silky sable color, and he looked like he was smiling. He passed my house the first time, running along at a fast pace. He saw me staring at him, and he stopped to wag his tail. He looked like he was looking for someone, and off he ran.

My nightly window watching became more intense, and when I didn't see the Ghost Dog go by, I stayed up far too late while trying to catch a glimpse of him. I pretended he was my dog, and was heartbroken when he didn't show.

My Mother wondered why I was so sleepy in the morning, but I couldn't tell her. She would get mad at me, and I would be punished. I had been staying up later and later, and one night, the Ghost Dog stopped at my house. He stood on the front lawn, and wagged his tail at me. I think he wanted me to go outside. Stupidly, I went.

The moment I sneaked out the back door, I knew it was the wrong thing to do. I was cold, and the grass was wet, but I hadn't thought to grab my robe-or put on my slippers. I just wanted to pet "my dog ". Quietly, I walked on my tip toes. Didn't want Mother to hear me outside, so I was very, very quiet.

When the Ghost Dog saw me, He turned toward me. He was a big dog... Almost as big as me! I stopped walking, and didn't know what to next. Never having owned a dog before, I was unsure how to make him come to me. He lowered his head, and sort of growled. This couldn't be right, I thought. He was a nice Dog through the window, but standing a few feet away, I wasn't so sure any more. His ghostly body had taken on a darkness, like he was dripping in shadows, and I didn't like it.

He took one tiny half step toward me, and I took a step back. His Doggie smile, now took on an evil grin. You are probably wondering how a Dog can have an evil smile, and believe me, if I could explain it better, I would. It was just-evil. Take my word on it.

The growl became guttural, and I knew he was going to bite me, so I turned away, and ran. I could hear him right behind me. I knew if I stopped to catch my breath, he would catch me and hurt me. I rushed through the back door of my home, and slammed it shut. Of course, I woke my mother, and she was pretty upset at me for going outside. I was breathing fast and hard, and vowed not to share this with anyone. Not even my own Mother.

She dragged me by my arm- back to my room, and after a stern yelling session over the dangers of leaving the house, blah-blah-blah, she tired of lecturing me, and left my room. As soon as the click of the bedroom door hit my ears, I was out of bed, and staring out the window. At first, I didn't see the Ghost Dog. He came out of the shadows as soon as he saw me.

He bared his teeth at me, and saliva was dripping from his jowls. His eyes had taken on a glow, and he looked... Possessed. Of course! It made sense to me now. This wasn't a Ghost Dog at all. It was a deceiver, a liar... A Demon! I listened, and I learned a lot in Sunday school, and I would never go outside at night again.

This girl can wait, as long as it takes. The Ghost Dog wouldn't get his teeth into me. I wasn't so anxious to have a dog, real or otherwise, after this experience...

He came around for another week, but one night, I didn't see him any longer. He was gone for good. I didn't miss seeing him out there, in the dark... Pacing back and forth, daring me to come outside...

Other hauntings by ghostseer

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ghostseer, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-16)
I saw a demon dog once in my bedroom mirror. It was a big rottweiler. It didn't growl or anything I just knew it was evil it gave me a terrible feeling.
I saw a see-through white mutt looking dog while I was strolling through a catholic cemetery once but it didn't notice me and I think that one was harmless though.
ToraOkami303 (1 stories) (75 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-21)
I'm glad you were unharmed:) it would have been upsetting other wise...

~Tora~
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-11)
Collin395: Yes, I am in process of posting more stories. Go to my profile page and you can read all my experiences there, plus-check out my website, and my blog. I have been dealing with the paranormal since I was a small child. Looking forward to reading your story when it posts...Blessings, Ghostseer
Collin395 (1 stories) (18 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-11)
Woa. Thats really scary. Do you have anymore stories that your going to post soon? And on another note, do you think you could check out my story? Thanks 😁
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-11)
rhodes68: Childhood is supposed to be about exploration. Unfortunately, when the supernatural gets involved... I managed to have an interesting childhood anyway. Thanks for reading!, Blessings, Ghostseer

KimSouth0: I'm glad I made it back to the house in one piece!. It makes me wonder what value the demon faced. Squaring off with a child-isn't exactly fair!. Blessings, Ghostseer
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-11)
Wow! How terrifying!

I am so glad you made it back to your house safely and although you were lured outside, you knew enough to turn and run!

Thanks so much for sharing with us!

God Bless!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-11)
Ghostseer, you gave me the chills with this encounter! What a terrifying experience for a little girl! You were either lucky or too intuitive to expose yourself to more danger-I'd go for the latter.

Your descriptions of your childhood games-the "pirate"-the "acrobat"- brought back so many cherished memories to me. I guess no matter the distance or difference of culture and geographic location, children share the same dreams and fantasies about the world. Even more, your "sneaking away" as soon as "the grown ups" fell asleep reminded me of my own "journeys"-my own explorations! My mother used to tell me she must be lucky to have only one restless spirit in the house-she wouldn't know how to deal with more than one. Then my brother was born!
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
Wickeddaisy: I don't think there was any one point, where I KNEW I could decipher good from evil, I just got better, as I got older, in seeing deception, lies, (Demons incognito) and keeping my heart open to signals of warning. I hear sounds, see colors, smell is big on my list (I know, kind of strange), but evil is distinctive as it tries to trick me. It rarely succeeds in fooling me these days!. Blessings, Ghostseer... Did you go to my website? Gives more insight into the things I have experienced, things I have learned about the ethereal world... I have pics there, ques and answer page, ghost stories, etc
Wickeddaisy (4 stories) (23 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
I had an experience with a golden retriever when I was a teenager, nothing like this though! He was more like my guardian angel and protected me all the way home from a friends house one night. He disappeared after I got to my door and while I had turned the key in the lock. Before that he sat on my sidewalk, scanning the street with me in his peripheral vision.
Would you say this was your turning point, when you begin to decipher which are good and evil entities? Just curious. 😉
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
HazzardSyndrome: It is very easy for me to tell the difference btwn the living and the dead. I have been dealing with all my life. Did you click on my website yet?. This was showing itself to me as a dog, but was not. The ethereal is not completely solid, and they give off a different energy. It's hard to describe, but they emit a kind of icy cold that makes you know this isn't normal. Blessings, Ghostseer. Be sure and check out my website. I have been aware of the otherworldly... Since I was a tyke. I have what they call a second sight... A "gift" that doesn't always feel like a good thing.
HazzardSyndrome (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
spooky story
I would normally just say "are you sure it wasn't just a real dog?" but I'll trust your judgment, after all you were the one that was there.
Just wondering if your sight shows obvious differences between the living and the passed or is it your own instinct that tells you?
Thanks 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: