You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: Anrew Sparks Murders

Real Ghost Stories

Anrew Sparks Murders

 

The early evening was grey and misty when Andrew decided to murder his whole family. Andrew Sparks was once a successful and enthusiastic watch maker and a hard working farmer in the small town of Newland, NC. He had a loving wife and two young daughters who all seemed proud of their father and the home life they had built together. The Sparks were a strong willed family who would soon be bound by a fear so intense that death couldn't even find the courage to put it to rest.

What happened?

Something was different about Andrew. He became sort of a recluse. He scarcely talked to anyone and in church he never prayed aloud like he used to. A father that was once filled with joy and liveliness had suddenly changed.

It was early that evening before dinner when his family heard his footsteps one by one on the three screeching steps that led to the door. Then they heard the sound of the screen being pulled at such a force they thought it would come off its hinges.

Then there was Andrew drenched in sweat when His wife ran to him eager for a welcomed kiss but he pushed her away from him strangely enraged and in a hurry went to the room where he kept his rifle. After a few short minutes had passed he returned to the family room where his wife and two innocent young daughters stood watching in disbelief.

He shook his head as if blinded by the darkness of his own insanity and aimed it at his youngest daughters head. Then his shaking fingers squeezed the trigger. Such pitiful cries and pleas came paining from the throats of his wife and eldest daughter that even the storm clouds fled in fear of Andrew's madness.

The exhausted and bewildered wife of Andrew could fight no more as a bullet ripped through her flesh and exited her back with her last gaping breath. The eldest daughter of Andrew stood trembling and weak at the knees from the sight of her mother lying dead on the floor in a pool of blood beside her little sister. She could barely move from the terror she had just witnessed but realized she had to run in desperate hopes of a place to hide. But the only thing she could think to save her and use as a barrier from the last deadly bullet was a velvet sofa.

She ran behind it realizing that there was no use. Andrew laughed and mocked her as the tears streamed down her broken face. She cried out"... Please father... Please"

But with that final plea, her life had ended by the desperate hands of a madman.

We are the first to investigate the hauntings of Andrew Sparks but there are many local witnesses to the strange occurrences on the Sparks property such as ghostly orbs, cold spots, eerie screams, phantom footsteps, phantom cries and phantom gunshots.

Many of the Sparks family belongings are left untouched today in the old house. There also still remains a special book belonging to the youngest daughter of Andy and inside the cover a handwritten note from Andy himself that eerily reads " Sleep my children... It is easier to sleep".

B. Dotson 2008

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, graydimensions, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

cliffhanger1921 (1 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-04-16)
B. DOTSON
I will be the first to tell you that most of this story IS blown out of proportion! You have taken this event and molested it. I will not go through and tell you everything that you stated wrong but will point out a few. First, the event DID NOT happen in the afternoon. This happened around 7:30AM! The actual records found back this up. Second, Andrew had (3) three daughters, not just 2. You also were NOT the first to investigate this house. Numerous people before you have investigated. You have NO idea of what went on inside that house. Family nor friends could tell you how the murders happened and what was said because NO ONE was left alive other than Andrew. He was alive but did not talk due to his massive head wound. He died 16 1/2 hours later on the 9th of December 1954. If you want to come up with a ghost story try not to use a tragic event and add to it. If you screw with this story much, it might bring you pain and discomfort in ways you could not dream of. Trust me!
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-01-15)
Bet,

I am assuming that you are "graydimensions", the writer of this story.

I saw all of your comments before I went to work and, now that I am back, I guess I will say the same thing that I thought earlier:

The impression that I get from the comments, that were made six years ago, and the writing style of the narrative itself make me think that this story is just a rehashing of a locally known tragedy.

You say that you were present during an investigation of this house; how formal was this investigation? You didn't go into very great detail. I would like to have read more on YOUR experiences investigating the Sparks' House; this website is called "yourghoststories.com" and I would have more of an emotional involvement in the story if there were more details about what you have felt in that location.

Maybe, since you are "back", you could provide more details about the paranormal anomalies that go on with the house.

The final thing that I will ask about is actually the detail that made me curious about all of this in the first place. Ten hours ago, you made a series of comments responding to people. You responded to a user named "aura_reader". You said:

"I don't like narcissist either... No deception or out of line perspective upon critisism taken."

Does that mean that you're not offended?

If you should happen to respond to me, please do it in the language style that you use in the real world.

-Maria
Bet (6 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-01-14)
angel_from_heaven, nice selectiveand creative username. 🙂 But yeah. Thank you.
Bet (6 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-01-14)
aura_reader, I don't like narcissist either... No deception or out of line perspective upon critisism taken. 🤔
Bet (6 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-01-14)
ashleycook and ncfirefighter854 thank you for sharing. Nice to see locals here! ❤️
Bet (6 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-01-14)
nightsky424 and whitebuffalo, no internet research needed for the facts of the original post, witnesses, testimonies. Local witnesses, family and friends are enough evidence pertaining to the post. Thanks to the folks who submitted newspaper clippings. 🙂
Bet (6 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-01-14)
Casparks10 Thank you for sharing. ❤️
Zzsgranny mod, Thank you for sharing. ❤️
Bet (6 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-01-14)
I would like to thank everyone for your comments on this submission. My apologies for the delay in answering sooner. I actually just read the comments today. Yes it's been a long time since no reply. I've been dealing with the loss of two brothers and personal health issues since this story was published. The information here is based on my nephews close friendship with the family. He's from Avery County and knew details about this incident. Some of you wish to believe that this story was fabricated or blown out of proportion. Well you are wrong, however it's your opinion. You may believe what you wish. I've been to the house along with my nephew. It's quite amped up with energy there. I wouldn't go back. My nephew has spent quite a bit of time listening to the elder friend, family tell the facts of the story as well as time inside the Andrew Sparks house. 🙂
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2013-11-07)
Casparks: Thank you for providing some authentic background for this story. Although the O/P isn't a member of the site any longer, I think it's safe to say you have the rest of intrigued.

I'm looking forward to a story submission from you if you ever do get to go on a ghost hunt at this location. 😊 😊
Casparks10 (2 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-07)
I acquired the copies of the newspaper articles and 3 of the death certificates. Andrew Sparks, Norma "Ollis" Sparks and Toya Iretta Sparks. If you would like a copy of the documents I have scanned them all into the computer and have a PDF file with everything I have. My email is lll2869 [at] yahoo.com. It was deemed a murder/suicide Andrew shot himself in the mouth with a 22 rifle and died 16 1/2 hours after he killed his family. He was quite ill and spent many months in the NC Tuberculosis Sanitorium in Black Moutain, NC. His father passed away in Sept of 1954 and he was crippled from the TB. He had just been release from the sanitorium (hospital) a week before. I am still digging to find more information and am going to take a trip up to Minneapolis, NC where they lived possibly right next to his parents or hers.
Casparks10 (2 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-06)
First of all I would love to comment on the story written above it is well done and thank you. I am a Sparks and related somehow to William Andrew Sparks the subject of this story. This story is unfortunately very true. Andrew Sparks did shoot and kill his family in their home on the day of Dec. 8, 1954. I am going to the library and obtain copies of the newspaper articles regarding this tragedy. Murdered were Norma Ruth "Ollis" Sparks B. 3/27/1932 D. 12/8/1954, Toya Iretta Sparks 4/18/1951 (4) d. 12/8/1954, Connie Jean Sparks b. 10/6/1954 (2 months old) d. 12/8/1954, Andrea Danae Ollis b. 11/16/1953 (1 year 1 month) d. 12/8/1954. Andrew died on 12/9/1954. He was a WWII drafted Veteran and was a watchmaker. There are articles in the Statesville Daily Record on 12/9/1954 and Rocky Mountain Evening Telegram on Wed. Dec. 8, 1954 regarding this murder. I have not read the articles as of yet. Norma and the children are buried in the Ashley Cemetary in Newland which is apparently the Ollis family cemetary and Andrew Sparks is buried in Belview in the Sparks family cemetary plots. Normas parents were Harston or (Horster) Ollis and Ruby Ollis both buried in Ashley Cemetary. Hope this clarifies some doubts. I will post the articles as soon as I can get a copy of them and the death certificates. As for ghost hunting, I am in and will make a trip there myself since I have a connection.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-30)
Thank you, nightsky424. Your research is very commendable. I thank you for the extra mile that you walked for us.
I think I have to quote you...
"Hmmm..."
nightsky424 (4 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-29)
i looked and this story is on several sites and it is told just the same way as it is told here so things that make you go hum hum
nightsky424 (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-29)
wow are there any articles about this murder? I'm going to surf the net&find out ill post again here if there are any articles about it.
ashleyjcook (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-21)
My family knew them... I live at Cranberry... Never been there, but my aunt, grandparents, and other familiy members knew the people that lived there Andrew Sparks...& His wife Norma. The oldest daughter was named Toya. Jake and Ada (Sp?) Davis moved into the house after the murders... My aunt along with her father, a baptist preacher, Jess Cook, visited them after they moved in the house and Mrs. Davis had rugs over the blood stains on the floor. Some details: The daughter did in fact try and get away from him behind the couch, that is where she was found. The mother fought him and had blood run into her shoes from fighting him (Which would obviously be she was standing before death...). The one child was killed in its cradle. Andrew Sparks date of death was 12/9/1954 Andrew didn't die right away, the cops had to hold back Norma's father who wanted to go in and finish him off. His name was Harston (sp?) Ollis, her mother's name was Ruby. He was a watchmaker...
ncfirefighter854 (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-20)
this is a VERY true story... I have been to the house MANY times and the cemetery where the family was buried. Andrew had been diagnosed with a deadly illness and had not told his family. Andrew is buried at the Ashely Cemetry:
ANDREW W. SPARKS...B; APRIL, 11, 1920...D; DEC. 09, 1954.
The rest of the Family is buried at the Belview Cemetery
aura_reader (3 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-03-28)
might I ask how you know this...? From reading the story it would show that you were either a family member or friend and in the story it was stated that he "decided to murder his whole family" so that possibility is eliminated. Next to prove that you were indeed NOT a friend: with such detail you put into the story you would be an eye witness in which the killer would have eliminated without delay ergo you you were not a friend or witness. With this evidence and simple deducing I see two possibilities: you made this story up and posted it, or someone else made it up and you copied it. With people saying it sounded like "amityville horror" I think we can safely say you copied it.

I have no sympathy for liars~aura reader
angel_from_heaven (20 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-20)
Sorry, but I don't really believe this story! Sounds almost like a copy of Amityville Horror! 😐
succubiluv (1 stories) (365 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-11-25)
From the opening sentence to the last one, this appears to be either a carefully fabricated attempt to insult the intelligence of readers, or a downloaded copy of one of BARTOLAMEW RAGGBALONEY'S SHORT TALL TALES FROM THE TALL SHORT SHELF, VOLUME 1.

Either that, or it is straight from the first edition of HAMHOCKS, SHERLOCKS AND BOOMCOCKS by Sir Arthur J.
Gullible.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-18)
All I can say is that this reminds me of the Amytiville murder. I'm very sorry that those inocent people died. It sad to say but these things do happen on this planet. I wish they didnt. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-17)
I found it an entertaining work whether fact or fiction. I hope to hear some answers, and maybe more stories.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-11-17)
So did the man supposedly survive after he killed his family? If this is a true story, it sounds like the details are embellished. If no one survived, who was there to know what anyone said or how they reacted? You can recreate a crime scene but not what the people said if all of them are dead. There's no evidence. No backup. Sounds fabricated to me. Sounds like an Amityville Horror copycat.
babygirlacm (2 stories) (19 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-17)
hello thanks for sharing your story not to be mean in any way but your story sdome reason does not add up right sonuds like it came from a horror movire or a book. Were you a witness did you imaginer it I have to go with libertybelle on that one? And if I sound like I'm being mean I apologize

Once again thanks for the story
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-11-17)
Frawin, your post was just about what I would expect from a Southern gentleman, and I thank you.

I didn't even notice the C.R.A.P.S. (as the name for the paranormal group) and, to be honest, this case sounded too much like many others I've read, both on this site and elsewhere.

Tonith and Wickeddaisy, I didn't pick up on the 'shaggy dog' aspect of the posting, and I appreciate you pointing it out. On the second and third reading, it certainly DOES come across as a leg-pull! Thanks for your insights!
Wickeddaisy (4 stories) (23 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-16)
What I would like to know is how this story slipped through the cracks. I don't mean to be personally insulting to you, B. Dotson/Graydimensions. But unless you were a guest for dinner that evening, your descriptions (of everything from weather to emotions) sound more like fiction than speculation. You are a decent writer, although I think you should try to post your story on a fiction or fiction ghost stories site. If you google it, you'll find an abundance of options for your stories.
Plus with your signature and date at the end of your story, looking more how I sign my art; along with your founded group called C.R.A.P.S...makes your story sound a lot like it.

Perhaps my presumption is wrong. I welcome your explanation and apologize if I am... 🤔
Tonith (1136 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-11-16)
Unless Andrew was caught and made one heck of a confession I would be assuming this story is more legend than truth. We do know many legends spring from horrific acts and I guess this one is no exception. Unless he confessed I doubt very much you would know the details and dialogue of the night in question. Good yarn though.
FRAWIN (guest)
+1
15 years ago (2008-11-16)
It may just be me but I think we've been had on this ghost hunting story. The author's reluctance to answer questions combined with the name of his group C.R.A.P.S. Has me in disbelief. Graydimensions please come and prove me wrong by answering libertybelle and Jitow's questions. Thank you.

FRAWIN 😐
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-15)
Okay, I know that Newland is in the mountains, not too far from Morganton and, I suspect, not too far from the Tennessee line.

When did these events occur? Nineteenth century? Twentieth century? How was it discovered? Did Andrew turn himself in? Did he also take his own life? Did they live in the country or in town?

There seem to be a lot of gaps to be filled in. Are your investigations ongoing? Please tell us more.
Jitow (362 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-15)
I am from NC. When was this case. I am having trouble locating any info on it. Thanks

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: