You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: A Cat's Protection

Real Ghost Stories

A Cat's Protection

 

This may be nothing, but almost every night for the past two weeks (12-1 am) my cat acts very strangely. He likes to sleep next to my leg usually but lately the minute I get into bed and lean over to call him to me, he sits at the end of my bed staring at an area above my head/past my shoulder. There is little ambient light in my bedroom at night, due to double curtains I have installed to allow me to sleep in during the day, but his eyes almost glow as he stares unblinkingly. He is a talkative cat, and at these times he goes completely mute and wide eyed. I have gotten out of bed to pick him up and he will sit by my feet just staring - it has gotten to the point where when its bedtime I literally call out in my apartment "Ok bedtime, goodnight everyone" and he will wander up the bed and fall asleep. He is a strong presence while I sleep as well, the only times I can recall having nightmares - involving what I chalk up to being "souls" that aren't exactly nice, or possibly indigestion - is when he is asleep in the other room. Its like I have to have him near me to sleep well. It is an old apartment (around since the 20's, and from my understanding there has been only one family other than myself in the apartment (the landlords parents and then his sister), but there are times when I feel like I am being watched. I know with my cat I feel safer - he seems to be a calming force for me. The funniest thing, he was a jet black cat, until this past Christmas when a white patch started growing above his right eye.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2016-11-07)
Jessicq, thanks for getting back to me.😊 I must disagree with the idea that cats have better abilities than other animals. I believe animals have a pretty cool unbiased perspective which makes them a good gauge for us to trust, most of the time, regardless of species.

What you described about your cats and dogs seems to demonstrate the difference in the overall species traits. Perhaps not so much an alarmed reaction on the dog's part, but a reaction in accordance with their natural bahaviour. In this scenario to alert you to someone in their territory.
Jessicqqqq (5 stories) (56 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-06)
Tweed: I just saw your comment! I've seen dogs freak out over old relatives before while my cats will just look and go on with their lives.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-10-15)
Jessicq, I think you've said this before about cats, or if not someone else did. Just curious, why do you think cats and dogs have different abilities?
Jessicqqqq (5 stories) (56 posts)
-1
8 years ago (2016-10-15)
Having 4 cats, I know that cats can see everything. Just like dogs. The only difference is that cats can tell the difference between bad and good. Don't get it wrong, there's always something in the house just passing by, but if a cat stares then it's not a good thing that's there.
ai-chan (2 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-17)
wow your cat really protect you in the night so take care it in the morning ❤ ai-chan
EmilyC2013 (2 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-10-08)
Hi TKO.
I had a cat a while back and he developed some white patches in his fur. My vet said that it's usually due to some sort of trauma to the affected area, such as an injury. It causes a loss of melanin in the skin, which melanin is responsible for the pigmentation of the fur. These white spots in my cat were injuries from letting him outside, he was fighting other cats in our neighborhood. Now I keep him inside. If your cat has suddenly developed a white patch then you may want to get him/her checked at the vet just to be sure it isn't serious. Loved your story!
SaintJimmy (2 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-19)
I just felt like I needed to share my connection 😊

Depending on the bond between you two, (mine with Shadow was strong, we were like best friends) Even death cannot separate you two, You'r cat will always be with you. My other cats, still visit me occasionally in my dreams.
But Shadow, doesn't leave me.

Your cat will always be with you... 😉
SaintJimmy (2 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-19)
I have 11 cats, maybe more. Only 10 of them can be interacted with by anybody but me. I have more that visit me after moving on. But there's one that for the most part, only I can see.
I have 10 that are alive and living in my house,
8 that are no longer on this earth, and occasionally visit me,
1 that is missing and has been for 8 years,
And 1 that is always by my side.

Her name is Shadow. I wear her tag around my neck. She was hit by a car and killed after I moved to my current location. She didn't take well to strangers. I grew on her, She loved me.

She's always in my room, sometimes sleeping next to me. My boyfriend who didn't even know her saw her. (I believe there is a strong spiritual connection between us, he's actually everything I ever wanted in a guy) And she talks to me. She'll appear in my dreams and engage in conversation with me. She told me to tell two of my cats she missed them.

She also protects me.

My friend is having a demon problem. A friend who I am vary close with. I am a strong aggressive girl as well. (demons chase after the weak, and do not challenge the strong) Whenever I'm there, nothing bad ever happens to her. Unlike when I'm not there.

It's like it goes as I protect Emily, Shadow protects me.

I prayed to God and he gave me back my Shadow. ❤
concernedwiccan (16 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
cats have been worshiped for century for their ability to ward off spirits and dark entities. Your cat is probably stopping an entity from tormenting you. Keep him close 😁
guestus (4 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-29)
You are so lucky! I wish my dog would protect me, but he is scared in my room... He rarely enters and if I take with him to bed he acts strange.
JonnyBoy101 (12 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-29)
OF COURSE, TKO! It's a true story to be posted. You know what is true? The cats do protect the underground as Guardians. I know it! It was so ancient, back then.
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-04)
Well, as the Egyptians liked to think, Cats were the guardians of Ma'at/the Underworld. They tend to still be able to see things that we don't, and many ghosts fear them, due to this property.

Who knows for sure though, Really...
TimothyJ (6 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-04-28)
I think its pretty cool a cat could do that, and I'm thinking of writing a book and I was wondering if I could use a little of this.
Mouse (2 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-09-27)
Cats make excellent spiritual yardsticks. It is for this reason that the first thing I look to when I think something paranormal might be going on is my kitty. She knows.
Alura (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-17)
I've heard many places before that animals are more spiritual than humans, and I've also heard that cats in particular have a good sixth sense. I've always believed that cats can see ghosts, and do protect their owners from spirits sometimes. Plus, cats are known for staring at things that the human eye can't see.

Well, if anything else starts happening, please update!
ghostreader1000 (34 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-30)
TKO,
The one thing about cats are that in egyption times cats were considerd as the guardians of the spirit world. You see cats have a six since and they can see things that we cannot. My opinion is that your cat was trying to get rid of what ever was in your room and also kept you from any real harm I hoe that you can find peace.
Forgotten_angel (2 stories) (33 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-05)
hey Maddie, my name is sharon. I am 14. Sorry I couldn't talk for awhile (annother one of my uncles died.) my family has always been phcychic. So, I am usually an oddball around people because I shoot the breeze with dead people without even knowing at that time. My e-mail is sharonb [at] kidsmail.zzn.com and if you can contact me there, I will talk back (I am usually not on this website because my stepmom hates me on it...lol!
Maxie5 (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
umm you might want to get that patch check out it could be bad. Like cancer or a tumor most likely
BCEagles25 (38 posts)
-1
16 years ago (2008-02-23)
Cats are extremely stubborn. When you call them, you are lucky if you are even acknowledged. But they are also extremely sensitive. I'm not sure what to think.
ds5000 (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-12)
you know legend has it, the reason why we portray witches with a black cats was because supposedly... Witches used cats to protect themesleves from evil spirits because the cats were the only ones who could see the spirits... I have always had cats ever since I remember... They sure make me feel clamer when I'm alone at nihgts!
PrincessKatie (7 stories) (420 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-28)
pets can act strange they may sense spirits and that. I'm not sure or they can just act confused. My house is haunted and I do feel like I'm being watched when I get that feeling I go all cold that is when I know there is a spirit/ghost near or in the same room as me. I think you should go take her to the vet's something could be wrong with your cat. Maybe it just wants to go on walkabouts when you have fallen asleep or something.
ladylove (1 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-07)
My cat has been acting very strange! He has been reacting to something that is not there. Last night he absolutely freaked out. HE likes to sleep with me and we went into bed and cuddled like we normally do and he was purring and all of the sudden he jumped and started looking at something. His little head whipped around and followed something around the room. After a few seconds, he got very upset and ran for the door and cowered down then ran to the other corner behind a piece of furniture like he was hiding. I went and got him. He was glad that I was holding him and calmed down a bit, but still kept looking for this invisible thing. He started all over again.

He looked back and forth. By this time he convinced me that something was in the room. It was not cold, it was warm. I don't mean at this point. I mean that is what woke me up and then that is when I went to get him to have him sleep with me.

I prayed and even said in the name of Jesus go away- evil is not welcome here. Nothing happened. He continued his behavior.

After a while, I felt bad that he was so scared. SO I held him until we fell asleep. The next morning he was looking at me funny. He was doing what that other writer said. He looked like above my head and shoulders and then looked at me like he never has before- like he was scared of me.

You have to understand that I raised this big guy since he was about 4 weeks old- he was an orphan who was not even able to stand yet without wobbling. We are very close.

I have told my family that something is here in this house. I noticed a presence when I moved back in with them and they laughed at me. I told them that I thought even the cats noticed it- yes cats plural- they have also displayed some behavior, but not as much as my boy.

I want this presence gone- and I want my cat to feel safe in my bed. If my big boy is scared then it must not be good.

One more strange twist. Before I moved back home I met a man in my travels- He said that he could travel- better than those in the remote viewing project. He laughed and said they think they can do it- I really do it. He said- you have to be careful with me- He was a member of a ancient society. I just let the conversation go and was polite.

While still in that place on my travels- something strange did happen. There was noise in the kitchen then there was a presence in my bedroom. I woke up to this breathing sound- it was very weird. Again- I said what do you want? Then in the name of Jesus go away- it did after a few moments and I just went back to sleep.

Could this be that man. How do I get rid of him?

This presence-I do not want it following me. I know this sounds crazy, but I am not making this up. Has anyone dealt with this? How do you send this away? Anyone an expert here?
scaredofsleep (4 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-14)
I am the same with my cat, it's as if I can't sleep without him by my side. He just recently, goes to the window in the bathroom and starts meowing, not a normal cat meow but almost as if he is trying to tell us something. He is protective, once when I was having a bad dream I must have been moaning and grunting because he started biting my feet to see if I would wake up. I think animals can, if not see, sense some presence.
cordelia207 (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-09)
My cats see things I can't. My cat bell even has a ghost cat as a friend. Felt it jump on the same bed as me multipule times but never seen my cats on the bed. I was going out of my bedroom before when it sounded like someone was walking in the hallway of my new apartment I was looking in my hallway and nobody was there my cat bell looked up like seeing someone 7-8 feet tall.
BaD (4 stories) (54 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-06-09)
Aileen,
I know exactly how you feel. I had a cat AnnaBelle, and I always felt like she was my grandma, she would lick my cheek everynight befor I went to sleep, then fall asleep on a chair, my grandma used to kiss me on the cheek then fall asleep in her chair. It was always really weird. My mom felt the same way about her. And my cat Mystique, she's always with me, and I know she's protecting me, she's shone it to me befor. But in my dreams, their always people too...weird...Madden too, but I'm not as close to him, he's a little bratty boy.
Aileen (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-25)
My cats have never seen anything that I know of nor do they sleep with me (that I know of). I have kind of a weird situation though that I would like to ask about.

I never really LOVED my cats but I did like them, I let them do their thing... Stuff like that, you know? Cats seems to know when somethings wrong and when you need them. Anyways, I got this cat Tommy from my sisters grandmother after my sisters grandfather had passed away. My cat Paws died not long after we got Tommy... It was sad. I got another cat named Simba as well... We called him Chase at first but it seemed a little too grown up for him.

ANYWAYS... I keep losing track of what I'm talking about. Bah. I've always kind of felt this deep feeling for Tommy and Simba. A love that you would have for a person. It's strange. I feel like they're actual people and I've never really believed in reincarnation until recently.

When I dream about them they're never cats, they're people. I know it's them. Tommy is a tall man in his 20's who is kind of insecure and is afraid if he's too clingy with me that I'll get sick of him... He always has brown messy hair, it's short and he has green eyes. Kind of like he is as a cat, in life, not in my dreams. With Simba, I see him as a teenager with blonde hair and blue eyes who is really playful and kind of snobby, he's also tall and skinny. He's usually all nice to me in my dreams until say, Tommy shows up, then he gets snobby.

I feel protected when I'm around them, like they're watching out for me like big, strong men.

You all probably think I'm crazy but I really do feel these cats love me and that they are reincarnations (or whatever the word is) of people. Maybe I AM crazy... Yeah... I just want to know if anybody has ever had a similar feeling with a pet?
Prophetess (guest)
-1
17 years ago (2007-04-18)
This is also said in the bible-do not be afraid of the arrows that fly by day, nor the terrors that come at night, when the Good Lord sends a dream it is related to scripture only, and usually their is an angel of the Lord involved with it when it is by God, they are his messangers in our dreams too! He would never give you a nightmare what so ever. That is satan not God.

Also never ask for dreams, because it could be satan also known as beezlebub that sends them!
This is also spoken about by Jesus, never to ask for dreams.

Mrs. Dallinger, I would suggest prayer, and some serious bible reading about what a medium is, what dreams are, and the whole enchilada, you will feel enlightened. True prophesy is through the witnessing and teaching of Christ, that is also said in revelations!
TylerDurden (3 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-02)
MAMM
You should ALWAYS contact a shaolin monk instead of the local vicar - he's a wrong 'un. Just ask Mr M Fothersgill; he's got all the dirt on the "Reverend Rootboys".
Me And My Monkey (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-02)
Tyler,
Maybe she needs more time to achieve that phenomenon.
She is three years old, and has been going into these trances for as long as I can remember.
If I get really close, I can almost hear a humming sound, a bit like you hear when you see Buddhists meditating.
If I get too close, she comes round again though.
Are cats treated as gods in Buddhism?
Maybe I should contact a Shaolin Monk instead of the Parish Vicar...
TylerDurden (3 posts)
-1
17 years ago (2007-04-02)
Me And My Monkey
Does your cat levitate when in this trance?

You can induce levitation to a height of approximately 4 feet by waiting until you cat is in this trance-state then BANGING two dustbin lids together as hard as possible right next to her.

Some cats can not only levitate under such stimuli but can also attain escape velocity and often leave the Earth's gravitational field completely (if they do not impact a nearby solid object).

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: