You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Apartment 216

Real Ghost Stories

Apartment 216

 

It was the summer of 1975 and I had just turned twenty-one. I, being on the wild and rambunctious side, found it necessary to find a place of my own. I soon found an apartment that had everything I was looking for. It was cheap. I moved in and with the help of family and friends, rounded up the essentials to turn the empty apartment into a bachelor pad.

The apartment was located in a large, two story building, that used to be a dormitory during World War II. Sometime after the war, it had been turned into an apartment building. My apartment was on the second floor on the west end, apartment number 216.

My first experience there I still don't know what to make of it. As best as I can recall, it was my day off from work and I was kicked back on the couch listening to music. The first sign of something wrong was when the music started sounding like it was far away but the hi-fi was no less that a couple feet way. My head started spinning, was beginning to lose my vision and I could feel my heart racing. My first thought was that "I'm dying." My second was "Not now, I'm just starting to have fun."

I'm now blind as a bat, but sitting upright with both feet on the floor, trying my best not to lose consciousness. As I'm sitting there trying to hold everything together, the darkness that I'm seeing has changed to a mass of swirling colors. The music is completely gone and I'm staring to hear voices. The voices are a mixture of laughing and taunts, making fun of my predicament. "Great", I thought, "here I am a dying and all I get is being made fun of. What a way to go."

I get to my feet with the intention of trying to make it to my bedroom to lie down. I take a couple of steps and feel myself falling. I don't remember hitting the floor. I wake up several minutes later and everything is back to normal. The whole ordeal lasted no more than the amount of time it took to play five or six 45 records.

While this experience was odd it wasn't the only one I had in that apartment, nor was my apartment the only one that had activity in it. I had heard the "stories" before and after this happened, but I wasn't the least bit interested. The only spirits I was interested in at that time, was the hundred proof kind.

The apartment building is no longer there, having been demolished to make way for progress. We may never know who or what haunted the rooms and halls of that old building. Maybe it's best we don't.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Tennessee

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, FRAWIN, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

skkc1996 (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-13)
wow that must have been a harsh experiance I mean the ghost haunting you and you feel like you are about to die any moment that has happened to me before 😨
princess123 (7 stories) (186 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-17)
Hi Frawin, I like this story, I think it is best if we don't know what or who it was haunting that place haha!

Princess123 x ❀
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-24)
I am sorry, jsm36.
As a direct result of reading your comment that said "the members of this site, including you, insist it is paranormal." I reread my entire comment a FEW times. I did not say that I thought it was PARANORMAL.
Nope, sure did not. I said that "I should think... That if it had a medical link, it would have emerged by now." It HAS been 30 plus years since this occurrence.
You do not have to read ALL fifteen stories to get a feel for who the author is, all you really have to do is TAKE IN all of the authors comments.

NONE of us here can say with absolute, UNquestioning certainty what had happened this night, all those years ago. Offering suggestions is what most of us are here for (or receiving suggestions). What IS a problem for SOME of us, are the belittling comments such as the ones that are encountered everyday, out on the street, SHOULD some of these thoughts be shared with people who would have NO thoughts of assisting in an investigation.
"Investigation" does NOT mean paranormal causes. "Research" does not mean paranormal. What it DOES mean is that there is a willingness to try to discern between the imagined, the natural and the unexplained.
To be completely honest with you (as it looks like YOU were as honest as you could be, given ONLY this story and a few comments to form your opinion) I would PREFER it if someday we all woke up, and realized that we have all been under the influence of a mass hallucination. That we had formed such words as ghosts, spirits, and the like while in the throws of such a hallucination, And that there is NOTHING that existed was unexplained.
But THAT (everything BEING explained) will not happen until we are all gone from this place.
I am sorry that trying to share a joke with you, "What is wrong with tossing the Holy water AS we call 911?", seemed to make you read my comment in a MUCH sharper tone that what it was written in. I was actually SMILING when I wrote it. I am further sorry that as you had already decided what "side I was on" you were under the assumption that my comment TO Frawin, AFTER my comment to you, said "paranormal" instead of "journey".

Apologies, Frawin, I am about to share some of our private conversation. If I overstep a boundary or two, I will take full responsibility.
I personally DO NOT think this was "paranormal". I think THIS was part of the long path in the "journey" of a twenty-one year old who may have been heading in the wrong direction (but then, it COULD have been the right direction for him at the time) and needed a bit of "nudging" to get where it is that he SHOULD (have been) be.
<shrug> Nothing paranormal about that.
Spiritual, COULD be, but paranormal? Nah. There is a HUGE difference between Spiritual and paranormal.
Thank you.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-24)
Hello Luca. It was frightening while it was happening but thinking back on it now it is more interesting than scary. There was no ill effects afterwards except a sore jaw where my face met the floor. I stand at six foot four and that's a long ways from the floor 😊.I won't say that it didn't have a medical reason, it very well could have been but in the thirty-something years since this happened I have never had another episode like this. The only reason I am thinking paranormal now is because of the other things that I experienced while living there.
Thank you for your comment, I welcome all views and opinions. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😁
Luca (1 stories) (83 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-23)
Hello Frawin, that was a very unnerving tale. It must've been terrible to experience that.

The first thing that came to my mind was some kind of embolism, you had all the symptoms. Do you recall a headache afterwards? It could've also been a change in your cranial pressure.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-23)
jsm36, you say that I have an attitude problem because I responded to your insult towards me with your, "sure hope I don't have people like you lot commenting around if I collapse in the street - you'll be tossing holy water on me before you call an ambulance." remark. If that be the case then I guess I do have a problem- a problem with not letting insults go unanswered.

FRAWIN 😊
jsm36 (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-23)
[at] whitebuffalo. I'm not about to read all 15 of his stories, but, to me, this story is obviously the result of something medical, yet the members of this site, including you, insist it is paranormal. Your judgement of his credentials is different from mine.
I do not know his medical state outside what I know from this story. That is what I was hoping to get into, before he insulted me for trying.
jsm36 (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-23)
Frawin, I was only offering advice. You have quite an attitude problem - that or you're a sad case keyboard hero with angst needing released and esteem needing boosted.
Medics will use the word 'fit' as a blanket term, much like 'episode', especially to lay people (which you obviously are, with that dogs and humans comment). I do not know whether you had an actual 'seizure' from your description.
My intention when I wrote to you was to help get to the bottom of it. You can forget it now you rude little troll.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-23)
Hello Autumn. You have asked some very good questions. #1-"Do YOU have any thoughts on what this may have been?" Well first off I don't think I was having a fit. Seeing how this happened over thirty years ago and I've not had any since, we can rule out fits (with the exception of the few "hissy" and "kanipshun" I have been known to throw). I am thinking more on the line of a test, which I FAILED. I'm thinking that since it happened when I was twenty-one, the proverbial age that young boys change into men, that it was a test to see if I was ready FOR THE JOURNEY- I WASN'T. You might say that I got put in special needs class as I was a slow learner.
As for question #2- "What have YOU learned from all of this?" I have learned that experiences such as this, while it may be frightening at first, you have to control your FEAR and take the next step. Instead of slinking back and throwing up a shield to hide behind- I take that shield and push forward so I can see what it is that I'm meant to see. I have learned that while I do have "backup" - I have to be the one in front, it is my Journey.
Take care my friend.

FRAWIN ❀ 😊 ❀
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-23)
Well, jsm36, What is wrong with tossing the Holy water AS we call 911?
Let me just interject something here. Take a look at the "number of stories posted" on Mr FRAWIN here, Hang on, do not let me mistype something. Yep, there it is, fifteen.
Fifteen stories. Huh, I should think by this time (and I might add, they were NOT posted one after another, MOST of us have to impatiently await another tale), FRAWIN has established himself, a might, as to his experiences.
THIS one stumped him for the sole reason that NOTHING physically debilitating occurred. NOTHING. Well, at least nothing permanent. MENTALLY it has been playing in his mind, all these years. I should think, with the bit of medical experience that I have, that if it had a medical link, it would have emerged by now.

Hiya, Friend.
As we have talked about this privately, I will refrain going into minute details on what my thoughts on this are.
I WILL say, though, that the Spiritual Journey is full of pot holes, set backs, caution lights and brick walls. The path is not always clearly mapped out. There are reasons that we have to find our own way.
I was once told that our personal journeys are VERY similar to that of a cocoon emerging butterfly. IF someone "helps" by giving you ALL the answers, if they "cut a way out" for you, they will have done NOTHING but damage your spirit.
If you cut a butterfly out of a cocoon, what happens? Right. The butterfly can not survive, as it has no STRENGTH. If someone cuts your path FOR you, YOU will not learn the strength that our journey's require.
Maybe somewhere down the line, you NEED to be Stretch Armstrong. Maybe that time already WAS.
Here is my point (took a long time to get here, did I not?), What have YOU learned from all of this? Do YOU have any thoughts on what this may have been?
πŸ˜‰ You already KNOW what I think.
Thank you.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-22)
Hello Hank. There were a few more personal experiences that happened while I lived there, as well as the stories I heard about the place. When I get time I will share them as well. Thanks for commenting and take care.

FRAWIN 😊
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-22)
Hi jsm36. So I was having a fit. If as you say you have medical experience then you should know that they are called seizures, not fits. Dogs have fits, people have seizures. Also to make you feel better if I find you collapsed in the street, I won't waste my holy water on you. I will keep on walking and let more qualified people with medical experience take care of you.
Take Care. 😊
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-22)
Whenever you get time I would love to hear about your other experiences in this apartment building, FRAWIN. I think it might add more context to help us better make sense of this frightening episode.
jsm36 (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-22)
Haunting? I have some medical experience and I'd say that this sounds like you had some kind of fit. I sure hope at the time you went to the doctor before you started thinking about ghosts. That would have been very silly. You're very lucky, in that case, that it didn't develop into something more severe.

I sure hope I don't have people like you lot commenting around if I collapse in the street - you'll be tossing holy water on me before you call an ambulance.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-19)
Hello trau. Thank you for your kind words and I am glad you enjoy reading my stories. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-19)
Hello DeviousAngel. Thank you for your comment and I am fine now, as this happened a long time ago. Libertybelle makes a whole lot of sense, she could be right. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-19)
Hello Tammy. Yes it was unnerving and the logical side of me says it's better now knowing but you know, down deep inside you can't keep from wondering can you? Like I told Chris, if it were to happen now- I'd have to investigate, I guess that's the difference between a 21 year old and a 54 year old. I have no idea what caused me to lose consciousness, your guess is as good as mine. I'm glad you like my stories, there is more on the way. Take care my friend and God Bless.

FRAWIN ❀ 😊 ❀
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-19)
Hi Chris. Yes it was scary. This happened over thirty years ago and it did scare the crap out of me then but if it were to happen now it would only incite me to find the cause. That's why I say it may be better if we don't know. Take care my friend.

FRAWIN 😊
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-19)
Hi beachnut. Thanks for the comment and I would be interested in hearing your story, if you are inclined to tell it. Take Care,

FRAWIN 😊
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-19)
Hello libertybelle. You're right, I did forget to mention what type of dormitory it was. I don't know who might have lived in them whether it was military or civilian workers. It was a part of the Manhattan Project that worked on the A-bomb. The Manhattan Project later evolved into the City of Oak Ridge. The building had quite a history, so anything is possible. Thank you for your comment. Take care.

FRAWIN 😊
trau (4 stories) (29 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-18)
Your stories are always an interesting read, Frawin! Thank you for sharing.
Keep well
Trau
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-18)
Frawin, I like libertybelle's post. It sounds like that may be what you experienced as part of a residual haunting. I'm glad you're okay now though!

Warmest blessings,

DA
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-18)
That must have been a very unnerving experience to put it mildly if you sound sort of relieved for not knowing more. I would have probably wished the same!

I wonder why you lost consciousness, FRAWIN... Was it because the spirit drained you to manifest or was it simply it was evil-a negative force?

Whatever the case, apartments with so much history and not the most pleasant one, are bound to become magnets for whatever's left behind.

Looking forward to reading more of your encounters my friend-always happy to see your name up here!

Tammy ❀
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-18)
Wow Frank what a scary experience you had! Well you do know best that spirits tend to give us this energy that we may act weird. Some people cry others get mad but what you went through sure is off the charts! Its hard to say what it could have been. Maybe your right sotimes its better not knowing what it was. You don't know what kind of sh... You could get into 😁 Thanks again my friend for this story. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
beachnut (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-18)
i enjoyed your story because it described similar things that I have experienced. Thanks
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-17)
Since the aprtment was once a dormitory, I wonder if what you were picking up on was some sort of hazing incident, perhaps one that went very, very wrong.

You don't mention what sort of dormitory it was, whether from a school or possibly the military, but either one is possible, and both schoolkids and young GI's have been known to indulge in hazing pranks.

The reason I keep harping on that string is your description of blindness, followed by color swirls and laughter and taunts.

In my humble opinion, I suspect that someone either died or was injured, and you picked up on the incident.

Of course, I could be dead wrong, too.

Either way, Frawin, thanks for the post.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: