You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: Ouija Board Fright

Real Ghost Stories

Ouija Board Fright

 

This is yet another story that my Grandma (from 'The Monk Next Door') told me. And, as promised, I spoke to her about the Monk story and she has confirmed that the grounds next door were in face a monastery.

She was around last Friday because I was seeing my new ice skating dress that was being made. After everything had finished and it was just her, and me I asked her if it would be OK to post the Ouija Board story as well. She said yes.

This happened years back when my dad was only 4. She had gone to visit some friends with her then husband, my dad and uncle. They had been having a reasonably good time and there was nothing spooky about the place she was staying in, which was modern (at the time), large and full of life.

One evening, the host decided to call a load of friends around for a get together so that my Grandma, dad, uncle and granddad could meet them all. After my dad and uncle and the other children had all gone to bed, some of the others suggested they do an Ouija Board.

I have read on the internet that Ouija Board's used to be a social thing and everyone would own one, so I guess the people who had suggested it didn't see any harm.

After much consideration, the host agreed and all 8 of them sat down round a table. The host fetched some paper, on which they made their own board (letters A-Z, a YES and NO and numbers 1-10) and a glass tumbler.

They sat around and each placed a finger on the tumbler and relaxed. The host said those infamous words; "is anybody there?". The tumbler moved to the YES and according to my Grandma, they were all a little shocked to see that it all worked. The host then asked some other questions (my Grandma cannot remember them all, but I guess it would've been the usual stuff) and everything was going well.

However, the atmosphere and temperature turned icy and the tumbler quickly spelt out "S-T-E-L-L-A" which is my Grandma's first name. In that instant, as no questions had been asked, she got up, got her children and left the house immediately. The others dispersed from the session as well, all a little shock at what had happened.

My Grandma then went on to say that none of the others had planned to spell out her name. They all had their hands on the table and feet firmly on the ground. It really spooked her out and like most sensible people, hasn't touched a Ouija Board since.

She doesn't really want any 'answers' but I would like some. I have been reading a lot of ghost-related books and books written by famous US and UK mediums and they often explain about Ouija Boards and how dangerous they are. What I would like to know is, why did it spell out her name? I know that the 'spirit' had no connection with my Grandma but that's it. There were no questions being asked when the tumbler moved, it was a bit out-of-the-blue if you know what I mean.

Oh, and before I forget, my Grandma wants to thank you all for commenting on "The Monk From Next Door".

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, laurenemmam, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

laurenemmam (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-15)
Hello:)
Yeah Ouija Boards freak me out.
Never going to touch one again!
That is a bit of a creepy tale; if I was told that someone had killed me in a former life, I would have been so freaked out!
Lauren
Xxx
DeadBird (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-12)
I knew a preist who told me his friend came home to him one evening and told him that he and some other frinds had tried to conntact the dead. (He didn't say if it was with an Ouija Board or not.) They sat in circle around a huge stonetalbe he had in his basment and then asked if there is someone out there give us a sign. (I need to say that the stonetable weighed around 10 tons so its really heavy.) Just as they finished saying that the stonetable liftet it self half a meter above ground and threw it self in to the wall breaking it after that they all went straight home. The priest told me as his friend told the story he knew he was speaking the truth firstly because he had no reason to lie and secondly because he could se how frightend he was. Ouija Bords can be dangerous if you play never ask it to do phycial things that dose not innvolv the board. Your grandmother choose wisely to leave. I have heard a from a young girl that she meet a ghost who claimed to have killed her in her former life. Ignorcens can be bliss.
Kirsten_pax09 (10 stories) (72 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-12)
You're welcome sweetie. And yeah spirits from Ouija Boards can follow you home and try and find you. Thats why Ouija Board players are often warned to never play alone. There's some safety in numbers, but it's not completely secure. Just like in the animal kingdom a predator has an easier time picking off a lone target then a group. But it's not 100% effective in insuring every member gets away unscathed. The spirits of the dead tend to get pretty angry for being bothered with silly questions.

So for bothering them they can come off extremely offensive. Every Spirit contactable on the Ouija board has a perfect right to be upset and I don't blame them for emitting a negative response. Some might seem nice enough but, they are all suffering because of their miserable situation and their temperament can change at any moment.

People can be completely rotten in life and they have no reason to suddenly change in death, they can delight themselves with some premeditated revenge. The more merciful ones will just cuss you out or scare you with frightening visions. But the worse can physically try and attack those who talked to them specifically. Rape, attempted murder like strangulation, house fires and even freak accidents have been known to occur. I mean there's a reason why they are not in heaven. 😐
laurenemmam (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-12)
Thanks Kirsten!
Don't worry I am never going to use a Ouija Board ever again-I did when I was younger and it scared the life out of me!
I definately agree that the spirit had my grandmother, but it scared her so much she doesn't even like talking about it!
No offence to any professional Ouija Board users out there, but I think that anyone who tries to contact the dead with them are just stupid... And I was stupid for trying it myself.
I have never heard an acocunt of a good Ouija Board attempt though so I agree with you that the spirits contacted are most certainly not from Heaven!
You said that they can follow the users home; now that's freaky!:S
Xxxx
Kirsten_pax09 (10 stories) (72 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-11)
Who ever the spirit was on that board at the time seemed to have known your Grandmother. They knew her in life and by her name. Maybe she knows who this person could have been? It's too bad your Grandmother didn't stick around long enough to ask who it was talking to her. It could have been a relative who passed away. Someone who had a message for her. But really, the best place for the dead is to be left alone to rest in peace.

When we use Ouija Boards we disturb them and it's like a light is turned on over them in their graves and they are roused from their rest. I have heard that every house has it own ghostly presence. If your home is free of ghostly inhabitants, try to keep it that way. Never play with Ouija Boards, tarots or conduct seances in your own home. Even if you play these things far from home, the spirits contacting you could be of a bad sort of who will purposely try to scare you with words like they're the Devil and may even make threats against your life.

And in some cases have followed the player home. I've had friends who came away from playing with a Ouija Board and were personally threatened like that. People can be very vicious, perverted, cruel, sadistic and evil and just as in life they continue to be like that in death. Those on the Ouija Board are not in heaven, they may even feel shamefulness on the board. Some will even ask you not to tell their living relatives that you contacted them through the board. 😐
sejadasgirl (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-24)
I myself have never messed ith the ouiji board iv alwasy heard that they were evil, and bad things tend to happen to those that do. I have heard many diffrent stories about them and none to my knowlege soubds like anything id want comming out in my housae. My mom had one along time ago but she threw it away shortly after getting it, (my dads orders, lol). So if I were you I don't think I would relly use it not in your house anyways bad things could come out of t, like ad eamon or somthing.
goldrob3000 (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-18)
Hi I'm new to this site and I have gotten a intrest in ouija boards and the thing that's freaked me out the most so far is when I asked my mom if shes ever heard of them and shes religious but I expected her to say something like what are those or those don't do anything but she quickly told me there bad and demented then she quickly changed the subject but this has just fueled my search for knowledge of these things
princess123 (7 stories) (186 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-02)
hi, this story is scary and I would hate if an Ouija board spelt out my name no effence. And your grandma is smart I would have just left and walked away, and never play with it again. Can I just ask... Did you say goodbye to the spirit before you ALL left. I have heard you must do that otherwise the spirit will get angry if you just leave. It sometimes only happens to some people, not everyone, this is the information I have gathered from the internet because I don't want to play with an Ouija board myself.

Thanks for reading,

Princess123 x ❤
laurenemmam (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-01)
hey! Thank you for all the comments:)
I hope that it was someone from her family and not someone trying to scare her!
I am definately sure that this 'sensitive' thing runs in the family because it came from my grandma's gran, to my grandmothers mum, to my dad and to me yay!
I think that anyone who has a good experience with a ouija board is lucky! Everyone that I know who has done one has been unfortunate!
Perhaps the coin only attracts postive unlike the tumbler? I don't know, just a thought!
Thanks again:D
Xxx
disweighup (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-01)
i've been playing ouija with my friends for quite a while but we never experience anything creepy... Maybe it's because we use a coin instead of a glass... I don't really know... The coin moves and answers our questions all right but that's pretty much it... Maybe we're just lucky... In my opinion, if you want to play ouija, make sure that you're not easily scared because that'll just attract negative energy and make sure there's a psychic, who knows what to do, playing with you.
becky123 (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-30)
After reading this I decided to read the other ouiji stories that where shown.
I must say that experiences of this nature promote a lot of comments/posts.
Also most times the particpants have only negative experiences with the board. Yet
It seem that this "game" has some type of a magnatism that attracts people only to end with negative results.
Me well I have been always scared of the board and have never used one. The posts and bad experiences have only reasurred me that the ouiji shouldn't be dabbled in by the inexperienced. Or maybe they can't be controlled at all even by the experts. I don't know.
It shouldn't be worth the risk, if there is a loved one that has passed just talk to them... They will hear you. And if that is not enough go and see a medium. Speaking with passed loved ones should be comforting not an unpredictable and scary experience.
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
-1
15 years ago (2008-11-29)
COOL STORY, I think I might have been someone she knew in a pasted life. If you get my meaning. If you don't here is an ex.: There was this lady would kept on seeing a dark fingure sometimes. Well she went to a phaci because she though it was evil. (NOTE:There is no such thing as an evil sperit) Anyway it turns out that the dark fingure was her husband in a pasted life. Like how wired is that?
GIRLIE 😁
Tonith (1136 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-11-28)
When a tumbler moves on it's own accord it may have had nothing to do with the board but something that was already in the house to begin with. It may have taken the opportunity to use this form of communication because something wanted to let your grandmother know it knew she was there. I wonder if she has ever felt like she has been trailed by something unseen? I just read the Monk story and I think Grandma is sensitive and it runs in the family. Exactly what spelled out her name I don't know but whatever it was had to know it would make an impression.
laurenemmam (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-28)
hey!
Thank you for all the comments guys:)
These people that she did the Ouija Board with have either died or moved away by the way.
I am glad also that my grandma left! I will try and ask her for more information:)
Thanks also for the suggestions about how I can find out info... And I will definately continue reading!
Xxxxxx
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-28)
Hi and thank you for sharring this story with us. To be honest with you I realy don't know why the spirit spelled out your Granmothers name. Maybe that was the spirits name or the spirit wanted something form your Grandma. But I'm glad she didn't play longer. Thanks for sharring this with us. I realy do hope you find some answers. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-28)
Your family have to becarefully with that things cause its open the portal to let the damon out.
KurLz (30 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-27)
there could be a lot of different reasons it spelled out her name. Maybe the spirit knew who she was, or was giving her a warning. I am not entirely sure how you would go about finding out why, if you could at all. I would suggest continueing your reading, and may getting on a few paranormal web-boards and asking questions on there, maybe they will have some good answers for you. Also keep in mind that if you do find the reason, you may wish you hadn't.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: