You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Darkness Right Next To Me

Real Ghost Stories

Darkness Right Next To Me

 

First of all, I'd like to greet everyone on this site since I am a new member. However, I've been visiting this site for several months now, reading the stories and accumulating a great interest in the supernatural.

Now, what brings me here is the fact that I too have been experiencing a weird phenomenon. Some call it sleep paralysis, but because I'm usually awake when it happens, I feel as if I'm in a state of paralysis caused by my spirit leaving my body assuming that I am asleep. (Sounds weird right?...but that's the only way I can explain it.) I'll begin with my story now...

It was 2006 and my sister Maggie and her husband Tim were living in an apartment. I lived with my parents but almost every weekend, I would stay with my sis Maggie and her husband. They had a two-bedroom apartment and no kids so I'd always sleep in the guest bedroom.

I believe it was early Saturday morning when I woke up feeling a little disoriented. I was half asleep but I was still able to visualize the elements of dream. The element of a dream which I am speaking of was a white object and when the object had come into a clearer focus, I realized it was a note on which my handwriting was appearing.

All right, I know this sounds very weird but I am telling the incident exactly as it happened. Okay, it gets even weirder.

It was as if I was writing the note subconsciously but was also aware of my surroundings on the outside and yes my eyes were open. Suddenly, something interrupted the visualization (if I can call it that), and at that moment I was completely awake for I felt a presence in the bedroom with me.

Fear quickly rushed over me, and I became paralyzed and unable to move. I tried to turn my head but was unable to so I began to utilize my peripheral vision and noticed a dark figure standing next to the bed. I was thinking to myself, "Now, what or who the heck is that?"

The figure stood there, still as a statute as if it were expecting something from me. Though the figure was dark, I could kind of make out a body shape and I even saw that it had sort of long hair for a male. (I could sense that it was a male for some reason) The freaky thing was the fact that he was staring at me and I couldn't even see any eyes: I just knew that he was staring... And waiting.

At that moment, I mustered up all the courage I could and said (in a very weak voice) "GET AWAY FROM ME." Then, as if things couldn't get any worse, his head came off and began bouncing around me strategically as if by his will.

I didn't feel the head bouncing on me, but I definitely saw it, for better description, it was like a head of a shadow equivalent in density as well since I was unable to feel it.

After a while of being bounced on by his head, the figure disappeared and I had the ability to move again. I got up from the bed, scared out of my mind and trying to make sense of what had just happened. I didn't mention it to my sister or brother-in-law considering the fact that I might freak them out. (For goodness sake, they had to live there!)

I've only told a few people about that experience and now you all have been added to the list. Thanks for reading and please feel free to comment and ask questions.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DiaMonique, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

superbee (2 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-12-19)
Alleged psychic, Silvia Brown, explains this phenomina as your physical brain catching your own spirit re-entering your body after astral travel. Doctors theorize that the menacing presence is manifested by your brain malfunctioning. This malfunction is a sleep disturbance called sleep paralysis. In this condition, some parts of the brain are asleep while others are awakening. The paralysis is a safety mechanism that keeps us from acting out our dreams or sleep walking. Only our eyes are able to move. Most often we open our eyes during SP. Our imagination is still going wild from REM sleep, so you kind of super impose a dream or dream elements over your visual reality. You might feel as if you are suffocating or being suffacated because the reality and fear of suddenly being paralized realeses adrenaline which cranks up your body for flight or fight response. The only problem is that your breathing remains the same because that part of your brain is still in relaxed sleep. I suffered horrendous SP as a kid. I never heard or saw anything that was not realy there but I sure did feel it. I was fighting for my soul aswell as life. I am a firm believer in the supernatural but I accept the medical explenation with equal credability. If you are prone to SP, you may be a canidate for lucid dreaming. I have had the pleasure of being able to exploit lucid dreaming for fun. I will post my own storry one day. I stopped having SP years ago. I think I now have the ability or discipline to wake up quickly and thoroughly. Something still does wake me from a deep sleep nightly. If you don't sleep on your back you won't have SP. "fear is the path to the darkside"
DiaMonique (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-19)
[at] Mike823 thanks for the comment. My sister and her husband moved out of the apartment maybe about 4 or 5 months later. I would like to find out more about the apartment's history because it was built maybe at most 6 months before my sis moved there, so I guess I'd have to do a little research and find out what was there before it was built. 😕 thanks for the idea and good luck with your situation as well! 😁
Mike823 (1 stories) (10 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-12-19)
That would scare the poo out of me. I no what its like to be stared at and not been able to move as my experience is with a girl who stands in the corners of rooms then one night managed she started to move and stair with my naked eye right in my face 😠 I think that it could be a spirit trying to mess with you and scare you, as the bouncing head would scare anyone and I think without letting your sister know you should ask about the room you stayed in and find out wether someone has died in that room and wouldn't like no one else in there take care and good luck hun 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: