You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Spirits Need A Cool Down?

Real Ghost Stories

Spirits Need A Cool Down?

 

My house is pretty old. I'd say maybe around a hundred years give or take. The front part of our house was the house when we bought it. It has now been renovated, has a second level etc. I think there are some spirits here maybe who have lived here previously and are staying here.

There have been a few things that have happened in my house like shadows, footsteps and such but lots of turning technology on and off. We have a TV in the kitchen for my mum to watch while she makes dinner in the afternoons. A few times while my mum has been working around the house the TV will turn on.

Other times my older sister will be home alone during the day and the kettle will switch on and off (our kettle is very loud when it switches on and off).

This all probably sounds irrelevant but today everyone was out except for me and my brother. Its a pretty hot day (middle of summer in Australia, very hot and humid) and I was kind of wishing my brother would turn the air conditioner on (I was upstairs, here in my room and he was downstairs watching TV). At some point, maybe at 12:30pm the air conditioner switched on (it makes a loud noise of everything starting up). I thought nothing of it, assuming it was my brother who had turned the air conditioner on, and shut my window so the house would cool up quicker.

About an hour later my brother called me and asked me why I had turned the air conditioner on. I said I hadn't because I had been upstairs in my room the whole time (you can only turn the air conditioner on downstairs). We were both a bit weirded out by this because we were the only ones home and hadn't turned it on. Straight after this the air conditioner turned off by itself.

Maybe the spirits needed a cool down?

Any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Other hauntings by caitlynm

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, caitlynm, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Amyleeea (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-09)
Maybe the air-conditioner has a timer set, or it sets to a certian temperature and turns on when the room is not at the right temperature but turns back off again when its at the right temperature, my air conditioner does that. As for the kettle, my school has a kettle and it is new and so is the kitchen part and the kettle switches on all the time, no one thinks anything of it, I don't think you should either, with the tv however, I have no idea.
Good luck with your hauntings 😆
princess123 (7 stories) (186 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-04)
i have many spirits in my house and they seem to always tease me by turning things on and off. Don't worry because they can't hurt you, they may give you signs they are here at random times, perhaps times you don't want them to, like a scary movie. Ha ha!

Princess123 x ❤
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-23)
I'm not sure if the 'image' is of the spirit in your house or just my strange sense of humor showing... Can you picture it though? He's in traditional dress walking around pressing buttons to see what happens...

Ok sorry, not something to make fun of, but I can't shake that image...

Intresting that you say it is named after the tribe that used to live there. Do you know the history of that tribe? Why are they no longer on the land? Where did they go? Was it something like what happened here in the United States with the Native Americans or did this tribe 'vanish' or just move on? Maybe this 'image' in my head is more 'spot on' than I think.

Respectfully,

Rook
caitlynm (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-23)
I live in the area near Sydney city called the North Shore (about 45 minutes drive from Sydney city). Its a pretty well off area (lots of shopping centres, private schools etc etc). Actually, the area near where I live is called Ku-Ring-Gai, after the aboriginal tribe that used to be there, Guringgai. I have been trying to find a map showing the area where I live but if you look up a New South Wales map and see Hornsby, Normanhurst, Wahroongah, that should give you a good idea.
But to me, if it was an aboriginal spirit I don't he/she would be too glad to have us here, in fact they might be trying to get us away from there but hey, I could be wrong.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-23)
That tells me what I needed to know about the A/C, Thanks for your patience with me concerning that.

I understand about newspaper for insulation, heck around here (Austin, Tx.) during World War 2 they made sewer lines from terracotta and even tar and cardboard because of the lack of metal for proper pipes.

My next question (s) concerns where your home is located... Do you live in the 'Outback'? In a small town? Or do you live in one of the large cities?

I ask this because as I was thinking about this story I saw in my 'minds eye' an aborigine (sp) spirit 'playing' with all the 'new' things that have 'appeared' on his 'land'.
caitlynm (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-23)
I'm sorry, I will try to hopefully make this clear so you understand it. I know how important details will be.
Its only been this past week that all this has been happening, so I'm 99% certain that it doesn't start cooling the air as soon as it gets to above 21C (I live in Australia and our summers can get pretty hot, most mornings I'll wake up and it will be around 25C and we usually don't turn the air con on ourself until around midday.

I'm not quite sure about the whole technical side of how air conditioners work (I'm only 14:P) but I do know that you have to physically press the ON button to turn it on and start cooling the air and likewise to turn it off. When you press the on button, that is when you can hear it and the same for turning it off. I hope I made it more understandable.:)

I don't know of any stories related to past owners or any other activity inside the house but I do know that in the old part of the house has wooden floorboards and that newspaper was put underneath the house for insulation. If this makes sense, it is also empty underneath the old part of the house. That is about all I really know... Sorry 😕. If you want to know anything more specific I might be able to answer.

Thank you for taking an interest in my story. I feel honored that people want to help me with this.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-23)
caitlynm,

I'm sorry if I seem fixed on the A/C. It sounds like you have it set so the compressor starts running (cooling) the air if the temp rises above 21C. (69.8f). Mine is set for the same temp (70f). I think what I'm trying to determine is if the A/C is already running so that the compressor (which can be the loudest part of a running A/C) 'kicks' on or if the A/C is completely off when it starts? (is there fan running or nothing on at all?)

As far as the activity starting just recently (couple of months you said) that I think is due to the fact that you weren't responding to the earlier attempts to manifest so the spirit started trying different ways to get your attention.

Have you been able to research the property, I know you said it was over 100 years old, but have you been able to find out anything more. I'm not sure why your story has captured my attention, but it has. Any feedback/updates would be most welcome.

Respectfully,

Rook
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-22)
If you are certain it's not an electrical malfunction (and even in new systems they do occur) then you may have a spirit who is using your tech products to make itself known. From what I understand it's easy for them to use appliances, telephones, computers, tech products and just about any lighting fixture. They must be attracted to it's energy source and can obviously manipulate energy as well because they too are energy.Doesn't seem like anything to worry about and it did save you the trouble of going downstairs and turning the AC on lol.
caitlynm (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-22)
I have no idea if it has a themostat actually. You just press on and it can come up with hot, cold, and other settings I can't actually remember. You can then change the temperature as well with some other buttons. I'm pretty sure its always set to 21 degrees celcius.

Its not so much the changing temperature, just it turning on and off by itself. My air con is REALLY loud when it starts up then REALLY loud when it turns off.

Our house is pretty much done being renovated (ongoing project since 2002!) but I only started noticing activity (shadows, noises, all this electrical activity) a couple of months ago.

My family thinks I am imagining all this but I don't think it can be a coincidence that two times this weeks already the air con has turned on twice by itself then as soon as we have tried to figure out who has turned it on, it turns off by itself, literally straight afterwards.

Thank you everyone for taking interest in this and wanting to help me get to the bottom of this. I appreciate it ALOT. I have another experience which I will post and maybe it will help with this one.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-22)
Sounds like a pretty active enviroment, I have a question about the A/C however. You stated it is new, but in the older part of the house... Does it have a thermostat built into it? If so has anyone checked to see what it is set for? Or is this a case of it being in the off position and it being turned on? (ok, ok, that's two questions... 😉)

The TV and the Kettle sound as if there may be a spirit there trying to let you know it's around. Did this 'activity' start before/during/after the renovations? (yes, I know... A thrid question... Lalalala 😊)

Thank you for posting, please keep us updated.

Respectfully,

Rook
caitlynm (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-22)
It could be a technical issue except when we got this house everything got updated. Plus the kettle and tv turning on an off are in the new part of the house, and the airconditioning (which is in the old part) we put in brand new.

Just an update, the exact same thing happened about 30 minutes ago. No one new who turned the air con on and straight after that it turned off. The only difference is that my mum was here during this as well (me and my brother happened to be there as well when this happened again)
ToraOkami303 (1 stories) (75 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-22)
hmm...i think the ghost is curious about the tech XD... Oh well...
Great retelling thou!

~Tora~
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-22)
It sounds as ifthere is definitely someone attached to your home other than you and your family.

Thanks for taking the time to share with us. If you have further ex[eriences, keep us posted.

God Bless!
Jackets (3 stories) (71 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-22)
Thank you for posting your story and welcome to YGS. I don't know if I would automatically classify this as a haunting. With the house being so old, it could very well be an electrical issue. I would have that ruled out before going down the paranormal avenue.
caitlynm (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-22)
I never feel like they want to hurt any of us. I just think that they are perhaps curious about all this technology we have now!

Thank you:)
ghostlover13 (19 stories) (191 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-21)
Indeed, you have spirits of some kind in your house.

I do not think that they are there to hurt you... Maybe to just draw attention to themselves.

Please be safe! ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: