You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Basement

Real Ghost Stories

The Basement

 

I go down the basement steps to bring supper upstairs for tonight. It was a little colder than usual, but I did not think anything of it. I opened up the fridge door and then closed it. I thought I heard something beside me so I looked. A transparent white human figure walked right through the wall into our downstairs bathroom. I did not want to check to see if it was still in there, so I ran upstairs fast and told my parents. They told me that I was just imagining it.

I was walking down our basement steps and I saw something out of the corner of my eye. I see a black figure. I look closely and it is gone. Every time that I have checked that, it shows no signs of being there in the first place.

It is time for Christmas and I am going down to get the bows. Christmas is a great time in the year. I was going to make my dog, Max, go down first, because I could feel something down there. Max would not go down. Usually when I open the door, he shoots down there, but this time he was doing everything that he could to get away from there! I hurried down there and I could hear many different things in my head. Not sure what they were, I just ignored them. I swore that something was watching me. I grabbed the bows and shot back up the steps. I knew that something was down there, but I was too afraid to go back and find out what.

For some reason, the basement is one of the places that I am most afraid of. The reason, I am not sure. Every time that I am down there, I just feel something right beside me. Maybe one day when I am older, I will be able to conquer my fear, go down there, and try to speak with the spirit. It may be my granny, grandpa, or someone else. That, I will find out soon. I hope.

Other hauntings by ghostlover13

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ghostlover13, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

katie22 (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-30)
i hate basements and I can see why you would too. I would never ever EVER go down there! L o l
lalala123 (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-25)
i hate basements soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much
Yours sounds creepy!
Lol
ghostlover13 (19 stories) (191 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-09)
KimSouthO,
I believe that it is a man because now he has moved up to my room, and I will write about him in another story.

Jackets,
I know basements are creepy, but I know that there has to be something down there. I have seen him before.

Francois,
Haha. I definatly think that it is Santa Claus! 😁
Haha. Just kidding.
I found out who it is now... It is a man.

Unkown12,
I know that I have something down there... And hopefully he leaves me alone soon.

Thanks for reading my story! ❤
unkown12 (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-07)
your basement must have some dark entity in it I think just be careful I don't think people can be afraid just because the basement is dark or something there has to be something else to make you feel like that but don't get too paranoid 😊
Francois (220 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-03)
Dear Jill,

I dislike basements, people dislike basements and attics and that is because, they are scary places, spiders, ants, and 3 year old sandwiches and so on...

It is fear that empowers a spirit, it makes it stronger, it feeds on your energy, and the dead do not feed on brains. That would be funny, but no, the dead do not feed on brains 😁

Now with the spirit empowered it is propelled to scare you, why? I don't know why, but I think scaring people is fun and when you're dead, what else can you do?

The phrases "I swore that something was watching me" and "It is time for Christmas " caught me since 2 words explain the entity watching you. There are 3 possibilities:
A.) shadow people
B.) restless spirits
C.) the most obvious suspect, Santa Claus, yes! That's right! Santa Claus! "He sees you when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake, he knows when you've been bad or good so be good for goodness sake"

Now, seriously, I'm guessing you have a benevolent spirit in the basement and maybe your fear of the basement is attracting the entity.

Wouldn't you agree that that is the best explanation?

In the end I enjoyed the story, it reminds me of myself when setting up the presents and getting the tree from the basement. Christmas is fun, setting up trees and lights are not. God bless you and good job once again on the detailed story.

Dominus vobiscum and Pax tecum

Sincerely,

Francois 😁 😁
Jackets (3 stories) (71 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-02)
I agree with Kim on this one. Basements are generally creepy for whatever reason and people tend to attach more to that feeling than there really is to it. Who knows why that is, the fact that you are underground and can't just run out of a door to get outside, or because with the lights off it is generally pitch black... I know basements are not my favorite places to be either.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-02)
the only reason I would be anxious to find out who or what is down there would be to tell it to move on, in one way or another. Basements are creepy, they just are and it seems we often see things and experience things in the basement that we would not and do not in other areas. Not sure why that is, but I find it to be true for me as well.

Keep us posted if you find out what it is, but, before you seek the answer to this, be certain that you can handle whatever is there.

God Bless!
ghostlover13 (19 stories) (191 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-02)
usefulidiot,
Okay. NO I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP! Why in the world would I do that for? I have been experiencing ghost all of my life and I am 14. I know that isn't very old, but still. I have 14 stories, and I see ghost more than once a year. So no I am not making this up and thank you for getting on my bad side. 😠
Osa (1 stories) (70 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-02)
Yeah, basements in general are creepy. Ours was no different. Sure it had lots of cool stuff down there, including a stocked refrigerator, workbench and old fashioned slot machine that worked but the 4 of us rarely ventured down. It always felt like someone was watching you. There was one particular statue (holding an olive branch in his up raised fist) that I was scared of. I wouldn't turn my back on it "cause I thought he would stab me in the back. Oh and when we did go down there, we all ran up the stairs because it felt like something was right on your heels chasing you. Where I live now, we don't have a basement. It's nice to be basement-free 😆!
VoxMortuus (1 stories) (93 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-01)
I don't believe that "shadow figures" are evil. It's just one way of representing to the living world that may have significance you are not getting yet. It's like so many ghosts who are witnessed "without eyes". Now on the surface that would be horrifying. But think deeper... Why would they be seen like this? Maybe it means something? Maybe it's a metaphor for something...regret, denial, etc?

Like dreams, I believe ghosts appear in seemingly strange and inexplicable ways but not for no reason. The mystery to be solved is why they appear that way.
Vampirekagome1 (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-31)
a black figure or a black man if it was a black figure its evil plus your pet won't go down oh that just screams trouble and I hope to goodness you don't use a quiji board and if it was your family member you really would not feel bad plus your dog would go down there if the ghost wasn't of the evil nature at least that what I have learned from talking to my guard (angel) eric
southpole21559 (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-29)
I agree with Surya. Maybe its just something that happened to you when you were younger. If you think it might be your grandparents, maybe you still feel guilty for something you said or never said to them, and your mind won't let go. Then again, it could be something they're trying to tell you. I doubt it's someone else, because what reason would they have to stay in your basement? Good luck. 😉
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-29)
Did you have a bad experiance when you were younger? It is very common to get scared when they are little and they carry that fear with them until thy have dealt with the past experiance.
angel_from_heaven (20 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-28)
Maybe it's so quiet in the basement that you started hearing things! I'm not sure but I know that basements are beyond creepy! ❤
Kavya (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-26)
Maybe its the awkward silence you feel in your basement? Because basements are creepy,but...i duno ❤ x
ghostlover13 (19 stories) (191 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-26)
Jmak,
It is just fear of the unknown. I sense no evil coming from it. It is just creepy. No one else feels that way, but me. I think it may be a spirit trying to contact me for some reason, but I do not know. Thank you for reading. 😊
Jmak (6 stories) (156 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-26)
The fear that you experience when you go down to your basement, is it fear of the unknown or is it fear caused by something projecting anger/animosity at you? Have any of your family members expressed any fear of the basement or said they saw something down there? Please keep us updated. God bless.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: