You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The House My Mother Grew Up In

Real Ghost Stories

The House My Mother Grew Up In

 

This all happened about 6 years ago.

My mother found out that the house she grew up in was for rent, she was very excited. She asked me to go with her to see what changes had been made to the house, if there were extra rooms built onto the house or something. I didn't think twice about going, I was kind of curious myself, as one of my first memories was about that house. As it turned out, nothing new was built, but the whole house was freshly painted inside and out. It looked like a brand new house except for the old wooden floors. However, the second I walked into that house, I felt unwelcome, as if I walked into the home of my worst enemy.

As we walked back to the car, I told my mother about the feeling I had inside the house, and that I thought the place must be haunted. She said that I was just creeped out because the house was old. She didn't believe in ghosts. Two weeks later, we moved in.

The first few months were quiet, although I felt like I was being watched, and I regularly saw someone in the corner of my eye, walking past the piano. Did I mention that the previous owners left their piano there? As time went by I got used to the goings on in the house, but when my brother moved out, the freaky stuff started happening.

One night, about 2:20a.m, my mother came into my room. She looked a little freaked out, so I asked her what happened, thinking that she just had a nightmare or something. She just told me that I should go sleep with her in her room, she's a bit scared. I then asked her what scared her, and she told me the place is haunted. That hit me full in the face, because she was a skeptic and all of a sudden she believed me. So I went with her to her room, and asked her what happened.

She said that just after 2a.m, she woke up to have a smoke- like she always did (she had this habit of waking up at 2 in the morning just to have a cigarette, and then sleep again.), but just as she switched off her bedside lamp and laid down to sleep again, she heard a terrible scream coming out of my room, into the living room and then a loud bang, and then everything was quiet again. So she thought that one of my friends came over (they always came over whenever they wanted) and tried to wake me up by calling at the window, and I got scared, ran to the living room screaming and knocked over one of her pot plants stands. But she didn't hear any footsteps with the scream. The wooden floors always made loud noises when we walked on it. So she called me, but I didn't answer, and she decided to check if I was okay. That's when my mom came into my room and found me sleeping like a baby. I didn't hear a thing. My mom said she knew it wasn't a dream, she didn't even have time to turn on her side after turning off the lamp before she heard the scream, and it couldn't have been me, because she could hear the scream move like someone was running while screaming, but she didn't hear the footsteps, and it all ended in the living room, where all the other things that happened (which I will tell in later posts) ended too.

One of my friends's slept over one Friday night. As we were about to go to sleep (the lights were off and we were already in bed) she asked me what was hanging from the ceiling in the far corner of the room. I looked over to where she was pointing, but I didn't see anything. She described it as a black shadow, almost in the shape of a person. I honestly thought that she was just messing with me, until my best friend slept over at my house a week later. The same thing happened. We were in bed and she asked me what was hanging in the corner. Almost freaking out, I told her that the other girl saw the same thing, but I couldn't see it. Now, I know they didn't discuss it, because they were huge enemies at the time, they couldn't stand each other. My best friend jumped out of my bed, switched on the light and we fell asleep with the light on.

Can anyone please give me any ideas about why I didn't hear those noises, even though it happened right outside my door and why I couldn't see the shadow figure in the corner?

Other hauntings by _Izanne_

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, _Izanne_, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

ghostlover13 (19 stories) (191 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-10)
Wow. That is a great story!

I think that you should definatly look into the history of your house and see if someone died there. Not to scare you, but someone was probably murdered in your room and that is why your mom heard the screams. Then the person ran from your room to the living room, knocked something over, and then died there. She could have heard the screams of the person was got murdered and heard how he/she got murdered.

With the person hanging in the corner, I think that whoever that was got hung there and died, possibly.

Maybe your friends have gifts and that is why they can see what you cant, or maybe the spirits are only blocking you out, so that is why you seem to be the only person who cannot see or hear the spirits.

Do you guys still live in the house now, or did you move? If you still live there, then maybe look for a good preist and get your house blessed if you guys are frightened.
_Izanne_ (4 stories) (27 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-02)
ominousnyxx, that actually makes sense! I never thought about that!
As far as the research of the house goes, I've heard that the man who owned the house died of a heart attack outside the house while he was fixing the gutters- this was about 20 years ago... My mom always said she heard tapping sounds around the house, but she never saw anything that could've caused it...
And some people I've talked to only said that they don't want to talk about that house, it's just a creepy place... People can't stay there for too long- we've lasted for about 2 years 😉
ominousnyxx (10 stories) (136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-27)
Wow, that is freaky - Maybe someone had commited suicide by hanging themself, someone came into the room you're in now - saw the person hanging and screamed and ran to the living room in hesteria and knocked someting down (what your mother heard).

Keep us posted on other events - I've read part 2... Lol - hair dryer. 😆
chloe6991 (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-27)
This is a bit weird. To think that you couldn't hear the screams or see the thing in the corner. If your friend said that the thing hanging in the corner was human shaped could someone have committed suicide in the house? This is strange. Research is a really good idea look into it.

~Chloe
Jmak (6 stories) (156 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-24)
So far it sounds like you and your mother have been experiencing some residual type hauntings. Have you been able to do any research on the house/land yet? Since there is no interaction occuring I would not worry about the residual events, they can be annoying but are harmless otherwise. Please let us know if anything further occures. God bless.
_Izanne_ (4 stories) (27 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-22)
nothing was out of place when she checked... Our back door opened by itself, even though it was locked! But I will post that story soon! 😊
Jmak (6 stories) (156 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-22)
Was there anything knocked over in the room where the scream ended when your mother checked? Was there any interaction between the spirits and anyone in the house other than the visual/audio aspects? I look forward to reading more of your experiences. God bless.
_Izanne_ (4 stories) (27 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-22)
missmelanie04, we thought so too- that something happened before we moved in. I'm trying to get some history about the house, but so far I haven't found anything...
Hobbyholly, I really didn't mean to sound rude or anything, I just want us to be on the same page 😁
Missmelanie04 (6 stories) (39 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
Hey. Your story is so interesting. Perhaps something happened in the house AFTER your mom moved out when she was younger, before she returned. That would explain why she didn't have experiences when she lived there before. Maybe as she got older she became more sensitive. Maybe she is more sensitive than you are and that's why you haven't seen or heard anything yet.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
Izzane:

I'm not doubting this didn't happen to you or that this is your first time posting the experience. I guess I just had some deja' vu
_Izanne_ (4 stories) (27 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
hey guys!
My mom used to think that someone's body was buried under the house, because everything that happened ended on the same spot. Unfortunately I can't ask her anything now, because she died a few months ago... But when I did ask her about her previous experiences, she promised me that nothing happened there when she was younger.
And hobbyholly, this is the first time I've posted this story, and it really did happen to me (or my mom actually), in case you were wondering...
I'll post my other experiences soon (they get better!), but now I have some work to do first!
Thanks a million for the comments! 😆
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
I am wondering whether your mother actually had some bad times in the house. Not necessarily with parents, but experiances she could not understand or maybe choose to ignore. To be drawn to a place after so many years can sometimes have it's reasons. Why don't you ask your mother about her childhood when she lived in the house.

As for your friends seeing the shadows in your room and you unable to see them. Might I make a suggestion, why don't you lie down where both your friends were lying.

Keep us posted.
logan (3 stories) (222 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
Hi Izzane,

I liked reading your experience. Hope you find some answers soon, until then please hold on to your prayers.

Regards & Prayers,
Logan
jonesblue (3 stories) (34 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-20)
yeah I agree with girlie. You should ask your mom and even some of your neighbors about the history of the place. I'm sure they know something about it, especially your mom. Maybe your mom was just hiding something from you. My mom does not believe in ghosts, and I am a big ghost believer. I am sure she is just hiding something. Ghosts are REAL and no one can hide it.

Anyway, good luck with everything and god bless. Do your prayers. It will help you much!
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-20)
This story seems so familiar. Like I've seen a rough version of it posted on here before...

And I know that they list ghost stories with similar titles... But that isn't it.

Hmmm...

Anyway; thanks for sharing.
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-20)
Hi,
Well Maybe someone was killed there. You should look into the history of the place. Not to scared you or anything. It could have been a long time ago. Whats weir is how your mom didn't know it was huanted until a few mounthes ago.
Ask her if she saw anything when she was little.
GIRLIE 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: