You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Grandpa Sees His Mom

Real Ghost Stories

Grandpa Sees His Mom

 

With permission I am telling these tales of my grandfather (my mom's dad) seeing ghosts.

He was 16 years old at the time this one happened.

He was sent to the basement to get something, and while he stood at the bottom of the stairs searching the shelf full of jars for the one he wanted he felt someone watching him from behind. He turned to find himself face to face with his mom who had died when he was 12.

He dropped the jars he was holding in his hands and ran back upstairs and refused to go back in the basement alone.

He says he now wishes he had not run away from her but stayed to see what she wanted. He's never seen her since and wonders what she wanted.

This wasn't the last time he was to see a ghost.

When he was a young man doing baptisms for the dead (my mom's dads side of the family are LDS and my grandma converted to marry in the temple) at the Salt Lake Temple. At the time this happened they used little business card sized name cards with the information of the deceased being baptized.

My grandpa was part of a group doing baptisms and he could see a group of men sitting in the back row of the room they were in. One by one as the baptisms were done a man would get up and leave. Finally there was only one man left. The Baptism people began to pack things up as if they were done. Grandpa asked them why they didn't do the last man and they said there were no more to be done but grandpa insisted they look again.

The man went through the cards one last time and discovered two of them had stuck together. The baptism was performed and the man in the back row smiled at my grandpa and left.

Other hauntings by AmberMoonPriestess

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Utah

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AmberMoonPriestess, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-09)
Hi and thank you for sharring this story with us. I bet your grandfather reaky wanted to see his mother but whensomething like this happens. We react differentley. I think a lot of people would be scared. It is a spirit. I understand how your grandfather was mad at himself that he didn't stay. Did he ever tell you what else he felt when he saw her? Maybe it wasn't all fear. Maybe happiness? Maybe sadness who knows. I just hope her spirit is in peace. In the other part of the story I found that to be amazing. I don't know about this religion but what he encountered was something very special. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
AmberMoonPriestess (15 stories) (158 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-27)
troy

Yea gramps wishes he had stayed to find out why his grams came to see him.
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-27)
I thought this was a very interesting story. I'm sure I would run if I saw a deceased relative but would have regretted it as did your grandfather.

The baptism part was pretty freaky. Leaving one by one until the missing card was found.

Thanks for sharing this with us!
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
whitebuffalo,

Thats what this site is about, shareing and learning. Please go right ahead and ask, either here or e-mail me and I'll do my best to answer any and all questions.

Respectfully,

Rook
AmberMoonPriestess (15 stories) (158 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
whitebuffalo

You are welcome and I agree I have learned much as well not just from those here but from my grandfather as well.

He told me some more stories that I am going to have to post here.

He also corrected me on something I mixed up in the first storie. It was his grandma he saw not his mom.

He saw his mom at a different time, when he was older.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
WOW!
LOOK at ALL of these answers stemming from my ignorance! THANK YOU ALL! I have a ROOM FULL of teachers!
Thank you all.

**Psst, PSST, Rook?
If I have a few more questions, would you mind terribly...?
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
DA (Lynn),

No offence taken, I missed the name of the book and who wrote it... So my fault there...

For me it's "To Each His Own"

It's amazeing what a simple question like "WHAT is LDS, please?" can stir up.

I did not mean to sound upset or defensive and I certinly do not want to have people shy away from open and vaild discussion on anything that may come up, it's how one learns and understands things. I did however feel the need to say something. Sometimes I just can't help myself.

Respectfully,

Rook (Garret)
AmberMoonPriestess (15 stories) (158 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
devious

None taken, I am used to a lot of confusion or odd tales about the Mormons 😆 I was once asked if it was true that some of the "kidnapped" women who were being forced to "serve" in the temple had really escaped by jumping out a window into the great salt lake.

Which is geographically impossible.

If she was from the Warren Jeffs bunch then yes they have some very odd ideas and prophecys, I am just starting to branch out into the various offshoots of the Mormon church in my studies.

No matterwhatthe church teaches there are those who view anyone not of their religion as evil, no offense meant here it happpens in every church, I have met both the good and the bad.

I am currently carrying on an email correspondance with a highly ranked member of the Mainstream moromon church who shares my interest in learning all they can about the various world religions and how similar they are no matter how far back in time you go.
AmberMoonPriestess (15 stories) (158 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
rook

Thank you for helping out you said what I was trying to find the words to say.

I asked my grandpa for the basics of the history I posted here but he gave me an hour long speech on things so I tried to cut it down to the basics. 😕
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
Rook (and Amber): Please don't take offense to anything I said, I wasn't trying to say that Mormon people are crazy or anything. I know some great folks who are Mormon and have given me a similar response: "WHAT?" I was merely relaying something that I had learned. I won't discuss it on here any further if it's going to spark some sort of religious contraversy. The information I got was yes, indeed from a former member of Warren Jeffs' community. She had mentioned that this belief was what they were taught in that community. I wasn't assuming that this was the branch of the religion that Amber's family practiced, I just said that I wasn't sure and I was trying to make a connection since I know she lives in Utah and that belief came from the church in Utah.

Blessings,
DA
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
Love this story... Thanks for Posting!

I am LDS, a Mormon and I will answer any and all questions, please e-mail me (it's in my profile) if you have any because this is not for Faith based comments but experience based comments. I will address what has been brough up up to this point however. AmberMoon has it the most correct, the Main LDS Faith was founded in NY when Joseph Smith was shown and translated some very old transcripts.

There are now Break away groups... The Reformed Church, the Fundmentalist ect...

DA,

All I can say to this quote in your comment is Huh?

"but at some point it was prophesized that all followers of the LDS church would unite, and at the time of the apocalypse when the world is to be "cleansed" of nonbelievers, all governments would rise up against the church and the invincible spirits of the holy Native American tribe would slay them."

I have never heard, seen or been taught anything like that whatsoever and I've been a member for over 18 years now. Yes we believe in the 'Gathering of Israel' in the Last Days but something like what you have quoted... That may be something taught in one of the 'break away churches' but not the main stream one. As far as uprisings, goverments and not believeing in Pagen Pratices... I'll quote from our Articles of Faith...

First is Number 7) "We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth."

Number 11) "We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may."

Number 12) "We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law."

And the Last one Number 13) "We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul - We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things."

These are only some of the 13 Acticles of Faith.

I think Number 7 best explains how I a Solo Praticing Wiccan at the time I was introduced to the Church could convert so easily. (To be sure there are many other reasons... But not for here) Number 11/13 work together to show tolerance to others who are not hurting themselves or others. 12 I feel shows that we support the Goverment of whatever Country the Church is in. Take it for what you will. This is not a board for Religious discussion, but a place to share our experences and try to understand them and what they may have been or what caused them.

And now back to our regularly schedualed Comments and Discussions.

Respectfully,

Rook
AmberMoonPriestess (15 stories) (158 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
just an fyi the full name of the Mormon church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

The church Emma Smith started is now The Church of Christ. It is no longer The Reformed Latter Day Saints.

The two churches are different in their teachings even though they began as the same church. Similar to the Lutherans and Catholics being from the same church but different in their teachings.

The Church of Christ follows the older teachings of polygamy for one, think Warren Jeffs.
AmberMoonPriestess (15 stories) (158 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
devious

Well my family has always been looked at as odd ever since my mom married my dad.

My grandmas family wasn't openly Pagan, they hid their beliefs behind many Catholic traditions.

And I have never heard any of what you are saying about the Native peoples.

And the Mormon church was not founded in Utah they came to utah to escape persecution when they were run out of New York.

Are you sure you are reading about the Church of Latter Day Saints and NOT the Reorganized Church of the Latter Day Saints, which was created after Joseph Smiths death when Emma Smith disagreed with Brigham Young becoming president of the church instead of her son.
AmberMoonPriestess (15 stories) (158 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
LDS is short for Latter Day Saints, also known as Mormons.

Its just like a regular baptism, you enter a baptismal font and are submerged under water to wash away your sins.

Most of my grandfathers side does not accept my dads side of the family true. My grandmother converted so she could marry my grandfather in the temple.

When my mom married my dad she was pretty much forgotten by most of grandpas family.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
Oh!
Ooops. **Cringing*
Yep, it is Autumn. And Yes, you may call me that. 😊 Sorry for missing THAT.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
Huh, Thanks, DeviousAngel.
I am going to go and do a bit more research. Dang, TODAY must be my day for "missed that!"
Thanks again.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
Please excuse me Amber...

Whitebuffalo: your name is Autumn, isn't it? I apologize deeply because I forgot to ask before I refer to you as that... Is it okay with you? To be fair, my name is Lynn so I don't mind if you call me that if it's easier!

ANYHOW...LDS (Latter-Day Saints) is the Mormon church founded in Salt Lake City. According to the faith, Joseph Smith (the founder of Mormonism) envisioned Zion, a Utopian paradise, on Native American lands. In that faith, all Native Americans are supposed to be the descendents of a biblical tribe.

This is where it gets a little "out there".

I'm not sure if her chapter actually believed this part of it or not because some of the less-radical Mormon churches don't accept this idea (in which case Native American culture would be seen as a form of Paganism and therefore blasphemic to the teachings of Jesus) but at some point it was prophesized that all followers of the LDS church would unite, and at the time of the apocalypse when the world is to be "cleansed" of nonbelievers, all governments would rise up against the church and the invincible spirits of the holy Native American tribe would slay them.

BTW, just for reference purposes, the book I read was called "Escape" by Carolyn Jessop. The information I collected was from various sites including Wikipedia and a few sites that involving impartial religious studies.

Blessings,
DA
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
OK, just this, then I am heading out of here for some much needed head banging against my wall...

Baptism For the Dead by Rachel Woods, Ask.com
"Vicarious Baptism for the Dead:
Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are able to be baptized vicariously (meaning in the place of, by proxy) for their ancestors who have passed away. This way the dead can choose to accept (or reject) the baptism that was done in their behalf. The Apostle Paul also taught about baptism for the dead:
"Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? Why are they then baptized for the dead?" 1 Cor 15:29.) "
There IS more, folks. That just answered THAT part of the question.
Peace out, and Honor to ALL.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
Personally, Hobby, I DID think of the drug! HA!

Yeah, I have to echo that question, right there... "When they baptize the deceased, how does that work? Is it like a memorial service?"

Good Lawd! WHO is going to kill WHO when the apocalypse comes, Devious? We got ANOTHER Buffalo hunt happening too?

Dang (holding head in palm), I need a break...
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
LDS is a chapter of the Mormon church, is it not? They certainly wouldn't have anything to do with Celtic beliefs, although Native Americans, according to the LDS belief system, are supposed to fight and kill everyone who isn't a member of the church when the apocalypse comes.

Blessings
DA
Cholulteca (148 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
Mmm...so, one side of your family is Native American and the other one is LDS?, mm... Perhaps you can be both?, sorry but I'm confuse because I don't think LDS would accept anything to do with Native traditions and living on tents... As per your last post "My Spirit Teacher Raven Walker", I'm little confuse... 😕
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
No prob whitebuffalo

When I first read this, I thought it was "LSD". And no, not the drug LSD... Lake Shore Drive (what can I say? I'm a chicagoan)
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
**Smacking myself on the forehead**
Of COURSE!
Thank you, for SOME reason, I just COULD NOT get my brain to engage.
Thank you, Hobbyholly!
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
whitebuffalo
LDS-I believe refers to Latter Day Saints

When they baptize the deceased, how does that work? Is it like a memorial service?
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
Please forgive me, but "LDS?"?
I am sorry.
I have no clue.
WHAT is LDS, please?

Thank you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: