You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Is Ignorance Bliss?

Real Ghost Stories

Is Ignorance Bliss?

 

For the last couple of months I have been submitting my personal encounters here. Even as I read through them I can see patterns of when they seem to occur.

Usually being when I'm home alone

I was in the kitchen cleaning at around 5pm (getting darkish), my boyfriend was at a friends and the dog was nagging at me to play. Pushing his face gently away from mine I bent down into a cupboard and began rooting for a bottle of bleach/cleaner. Suddenly the dog yelped and a quick, low laugh made me jump (kind of like a "Ha" guffaw); I hit my head hard and whipped around to see the dog's ball rolling from the hallway to my feet. That's the first bizarre thing, I know for a fact it was in my coat pocket hung up by the front door, I always take it when I walk him. The dog bolted towards the kitchen's back door and whined to be let out. No way Bert, it is raining and I've only just done the carpet.

The laugh had freaked me out but the dog normally has a stronger reaction when these things happen so I told myself it was someone walking past outside, the ball was just a co-incidence. Until the dog yelped again and sprang up from where he was sulking by the door, I was nowhere near him but nonetheless he turned and growled at me. Totally out of character for him, he's a gentle giant. This time instead of settling down he started barking manically, I'm pretty sure not at me but at something behind me. I'll admit I couldn't feel anything odd, sure, I was cold but it is freezing in my kitchen! I cautiously went towards him (foolish, I know, but he's my dog, I KNOW he'd never harm me) and as soon as I touched his face he went quiet. Definitely fixated behind me.

The cupboard door that was left open creaked slowly shut of its own accord and I heard a bottle or something "clunk" within it. My head began to throb violently and I felt a heavy wave of nausea. Out of the corner of my eye I caught two flashes of light, about a second apart down the hallway quite near where I first saw a figure. I heard what sounded like a sigh or a deep breath and after sitting on the floor for a minute or two with the dog whimpering in my lap I miraculously felt fine.

Like I've said before, I suffer migraines but this is the second very short lived headache/nausea attack I've had and they both been when I've been standing in the same spot. I've witnessed these lights before too; first time was by my bedroom window after "someone" woke me up.

I went to some lengths over the next day to check things out; I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow to see if it is indeed migraine related. We also recently cleared the dog of fleas and I checked him over to find if he's got any tender spots of injuries at the moment that would cause him to yelp. Doesn't seem to be.

Also, the missing bottle of bleach turned up under the spare bedroom's bed

I've never thought of myself as being very susceptible to the paranormal, one of those people that breezes through life slightly unaware, if not downright ignorant, to "what" is around me, never having a first hand experience until now. This is what I find so strange about it all, at first I tried to brush it all off totally and find an explanation (don't get me wrong, I have always had a great interest in the paranormal, which is what prompted me to get so excited about my experiences and join this site) but the only thing I could put the "disturbance of energy" down to was my parents moving out and my boyfriend moving in. 18 years I've been living there and its only just started.

So why is this happening to me?

Perhaps in my eagerness to find life after death I have unlocked a dormant sense within myself. But because of all this maybe I'm starting to realize that ignorance just might really be bliss

Or peace at least

Other hauntings by hazzardsyndrome

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, hazzardsyndrome, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-21)
A spirit that pinches or pokes a dog and causes an otherwise unexplainable cut on your hand is not harmful? If it just wants to be noticed, why doesn't it just slam a few doors or make a book fall off a table or shelf? Or, perhaps, knock over a box of cereal? Oh, and the physical pain of causing nausea and migraines? That's not harmful? Even as a skeptic, I'd say that something needs to be done! The first thing I'd do is tell it to leave and stand by your convictions. Don't hide behind religious figures. Tell it you don't take kindly to intruders and unless it's going to help pay rent or put food on the table, it needs to leave. That's my take on the situation.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-02)
I don't care what anyone says, the comment from Wolfreal is still one of the funniest posts I have ever read! Just thought everyone should know! Lol 😆 😆
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-10-14)
WolfReal: Mate I have never laughed so hard in my life reading your last post geez there are some funny characters on this site lol 😆
hazzardsyndrome (10 stories) (121 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-02-20)
um, yeah thanks for that WolfReal. A little off topic and seeming as its not really relevant to my story can you please refrain from making personal announcements on anything other than your own stories or the forum
Ta
WolfReal (1 stories) (140 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-02-13)
I would like to take this moment in time to note I have now become and esteemed poster. Though I am admired and well regarded here I just want to say that I understand I still have a lot to do to live up to my honored title. I look forward to guiding and helping where I can.
WolfReal (1 stories) (140 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-13)
Im the wrong person to ask. OUt of respect I will not answer though I will say it seems you have already decided what the cause is.
hazzardsyndrome (10 stories) (121 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-13)
WolfReal
I honestly have no clue whatsoever
Do you have any suggestions?
WolfReal (1 stories) (140 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-13)
Ignorance is in fact bliss and there are many many many happy people in this world. I think you know what you have to do here.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-13)
Oh don't run for the hills-there are "Elementals" there-not that I've ever seen one 😊.

I think once you open up to these experiences, you might discover that certain other things you had encountered in the past may allow space for interpretation other than that of the scientific.

Keep posting!
anne_k92 (4 stories) (31 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-13)
hazzardsydrome,
Yeah, I get what you mean. Likewise, I'm worried that I might provoked the thing that still haunts me even to this day and make it more aggressive. But by posting my experience here, I can get some advise on how to deal with it from the users, so don't worry,lol. Let's us both just pray that nothing would happen. And like you, me myself has couples experiences on this thing. I would love to post more of my experiences but what do you know, this site is temporally closed to users who want to summit stories. 😢
hazzardsyndrome (10 stories) (121 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-13)
hi rhodes68,
Thank you very much:)
I think its mainly my confusion that's bothering me the most. When I joined this site, I thought "I've only got a couple of experiences but it will do" and now its like I'm posting monthly!
I'm just concerned that it was something I was doing, provoking perhaps, that was making activity more and more frequent.
Don't get me wrong, its not enough to send me packing my stuff and running for the hills just yet. I'm just running out of rationalizations 🤔

ThatRandomGuy,
Thanks for your comment 😁
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-12)
Hello Hazz-it's nice to have you back!

I hope your doctor's appointment went well although in your case no matter what the cause of the migraines is, it remains irrelevant to what is happening in your house.

I think that when one is sensitive to the unseen, the unseen is attracted to that one individual. Some people can block it out but I think they lie big time when they say, they've blocked it out permanently! There's no "safe" place one can hide unless they insist on ignoring the calls if you catch my point. An apparition becomes a reflection of an object in an EMPTY room, footfalls becomes bad pipes and so on.

I think your sight and hearing are as strong and "healthy" as your other senses. I also dare say there's nothing threatening at home for the moment-just curious and eager to be acknowledged. I am a little concerned though when these "innocent" visits reveal the path between the two dimensions. Some of the presenses following are not always that benevolent as the ones showing the way.
ThatRandomGuy (1 stories) (75 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-11)
I honestly can't say why this is happening to you now, but I don't think you've opened up some untapped sense. If you did by wanting to find life after death I think many of us would start noticing satuf like this (maybe many of you do and I'm not one. If I'm not I'm pleased, I don't wish to be 😉). Sorry I can't help you 😢 I hope things get better for you soon.
hazzardsyndrome (10 stories) (121 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-11)
oh, also update on the doctors
It was all just dandy though she did admit a little strange. She wants me to get my eyes checked so il have another update soon 😜
hazzardsyndrome (10 stories) (121 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-11)
hi Kimsouth
My boyfriend has mention a few outside experiences but they're fairly isolated, his mum is a great believer and quite sensitive to the paranormal.
Both my parents believe in ghosts (my first story is one of theirs) and my mum is also sensitive to spirits.
The dog has been with me for years, before my parents left and my boyfriend moved in.

I haven't heard of any occurances from my parents, although my mum (also a migraine sufferer) doesn't seem to get them as often

Thanks for your comment
Take care 😊
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-11)
Did your boy friend ever mention to you wither before or after mving in with you that he had experienced anything related to the paranormal? It may be somethng that has occured because of or since he moved in with you there because you state this never haopneded in the home when you lived there with your parents. Was the dog there before he moved in? Did your parent ever mention any occurances either?

God Bless!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: