You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Figure At The End Of The Road

Real Ghost Stories

Figure At The End Of The Road

 

I'm back and with my strangest submission yet, (and things have been getting pretty strange lately). This one, however, happened away from my house.

It was Saturday evening and after work I had arranged to visit a friend's house as she was having a little get together. It's quite a walk away but I do it all the time so it wasn't a big deal, takes about 45 minutes in total.

About halfway there I decided to roll a cigarette. The path was a long clear stretch and takes about 15 minutes to walk down, and yes, spookily enough, one side of the road is entirely taken up by a fenced off cemetery that has no walkway beside it, just grass. The other side, the one I was on, has a clear stretch of pavement with about 3 houses at the very end of the road, the rest is a fenced off community, the entrance of which is about 10 minutes away from where this happened.

My MP3 player was blasting out my favorite album, I mean I am fairly dead to the world when walking with music so as I lit my cigarette I glanced up to make sure I wouldn't walk into anyone whilst wandering. I spotted a figure in black at the far end of the road. From what I could see, it looked just like your average guy with his hood up, that's when my MP3 player fuzzed a little bit. I put it down to a taxi going past so I thought I'd try turning it on then off again, so, head down, I pulled it out of my pocket.

This was when it happened it did so quickly so bear with me. As I went to turn it off I saw in my peripheral vision the shape of the young man walking toward me. He was walking directly in front of me and I expected a collision, I turned my shoulder side-ways. My MP3 was off so I heard his definite footsteps and vaguely saw his dark shape, I lifted my head to apologize for nearly walking into him but to my surprise he had totally vanished.

Now bear in mind I was halfway down this long road with no turnings, no houses, no trees and I would have noticed if he had hopped the fence.

It didn't freak me out that much but apparently I was pale and quiet all night. I don't even really remember getting to my friend's house.

Could it be the power of suggestion, from seeing the figure at the end of the road and expecting to cross him at some point or perhaps some strange hallucination. I don't know, what do you guys think?

Other hauntings by hazzardsyndrome

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, hazzardsyndrome, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ZUKISMOM (5 stories) (58 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-25)
Sounds to me like a residual haunting. The young man most likely wanders around that road and area, You say he acted as if you were not there. This may mean he doesn't even know he's dead. Sometimes humans are taken so quickly from this realm that they cannot go on past it. He may be just wandering the road over and over again, because that was the last thing he was doing before he died. Go to your local newspaper archive and find out if any accidents happened on that road and if a young man was killed. You may find your answer. Kinda sad he just wanders like that he should be aloud the dignity to move on to his new home. Let us know if you find anything.
Blessed be to all
Zukismom
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-24)
hazzard--Since your experience happened on Feb 21st, it's possible that date is important to the spirit (since we can assume it was a spirit with its electrical interference and immediate disappearance). Perhaps someone in the area knows of a youngish man who died there (not many older folk wear hooded sweat shirts) or who was buried in that cemetery. If you're curious enough, you could check with your friend, family, neighbors, or even at the cemetery office and ask about deaths or burials on February 21st. And yes, it is very common for spirits to draw upon electrical devices for the energy to manifest visibility or noise phenomena. I know we all would be glad to see any photo of the area. Anything to help you understand your experience (s) and gifts.
hazzardsyndrome (10 stories) (121 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-24)
one thing I should have added in the story, it seemed like the figure didn't take any notice of me whatsoever. His head was bowed a little and he had his hood up
logan (3 stories) (222 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-24)
Hey...

Have read most of your stories and yes this is the strangest;)

Well...since its a road where you have a cemetry...i'm thinking it was a ghost!

Logan
cthullu (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-24)
Isn't there a lot of ghost along the road but everyone picks them up then they may be eaten a hour later.
ghostboy001 (4 stories) (137 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-23)
It may have been a residual haunting you should look uo if anyone died there but it has a cance of being intelilgent because he walked right for you and disapered near you.
hazzardsyndrome (10 stories) (121 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-23)
Next time I walk down there il try to remember to get a photo of the road and put it on photobucket or something. So you can see what I mean by literally, nowhere to run or hide unless he magically leapt a 6ft fence about a metre away from me in under a couple of seconds 😉
hazzardsyndrome (10 stories) (121 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-23)
JamesRobiscoe,
I have no idea at all. Honestly no clue, mathmatically your right, it just doesn't add up. Like I said I'm fairly dead to the world when I have music in so my brain probably wouldn't have logically processed that it would take a good 5 minutes for me to cross paths with this seemingly normal guy at the end of the road.
The things that baffled me the most on reflection is the speed at which he seemingly was about to walk right into me (as in how fast he got there) and if it was indeed a figure I saw so close to me one second then where the heck did he go!
I would say the MP3 player baffled me too but honestly, it has done that once or twice when a taxi has gone past. But then again could ghosts have something to do with electrical interferance?

Im still constantly trying to keep a balanced mind 😉
Jfreekao (3 stories) (50 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-23)
Well, it's not impossible to run off the roadside. Again, I believe that this could very well be paranormal, but just for the sake of understanding, it should be tested.
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-23)
hazzard--If you were halfway down a street it takes 15 minutes to walk, and if all you did was what you describe, I ask you how a person could walk the distance in what was probably no more than 15 seconds?
Ghosts can bend time/space.
hazzardsyndrome (10 stories) (121 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-23)
thats a good idea Jfreekao,
Couldnt hurt to try I suppose, now to find a friend that won't just laugh at me 😕
I was thinking about looking into the area and see if any major incidences have occured there but it would probably be a waste of time. Its a turning off from a very busy main road and like I said, right next to a cemetary.
Im walking that way again some time this week so il have a scout around 😊
Jfreekao (3 stories) (50 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-23)
You're right. The man disappearing could very well be paranormal. You should try with a friend in the daytime and re enact that event, and see if the friend can find anywhere to hide within the few seconds that you looked down. If not, then we can conclude that this is paranormal.
hazzardsyndrome (10 stories) (121 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-23)
Thanks for the comments guys,
Princess123, I'm currently noting down any odd things around my house so I can look back on them later with a clear head. Also so I can submit them in thorough detail. I'm really glad you like my stories, il keep an eye out for yours.

Jfreekao, that was my first thought, that somehow me seeing the guy at the end of the road made my brain think "il be passing this guy soon" and perhaps some sort of shadow in my eyeline made me mistake it for him... Still doesn't explain where the guy disappeared to.

Dreamergal, I suppose anything is possible 😊 😉

Thanks again
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-23)
some people get hit by a cars or been kill whatever the reason and that souls just walk by and not know you or other can see him. Love the story.
Jfreekao (3 stories) (50 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-23)
Ooh. This is interesting. I have no doubts about the figure of the man in the road, however, not saying this definitely, but the man walking toward you could have been an optical illusion that occurs when looking out of your peripheral vision. However, this seems to be a genuine paranormal encounter.
princess123 (7 stories) (186 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-23)
hazzardsyndrome, I have just posted the story now and I hope that it will get published!

I hope you enjoy it!
And do you have anymore stories, that have not been published... Because I have read all of them! I would love to hear some more!

Princess123 x ❤
xXelliemayXx (10 stories) (164 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-23)
Maybe he was just passing through... And you never know he could have been in a world of his own too! Then realised that he didn't meen for you to see him and just faded away 😕
Or maybe he was involved in an accident on that particular stretch of road 😕
JUST A THOUGHT!
hazzardsyndrome (10 stories) (121 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-23)
hi xXelliemayXx
Yeah it was weird, it just looked like a guy in a hoodie with the hood up though. Not like a cloak or anything so it wasn't too unusual for the area. I'm just puzzled as to how he disappeared, I was trying to figure it out but he literally just vanished
Thanks for the comment ❤
hazzardsyndrome (10 stories) (121 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-23)
thanks for the comment princess123,
Let me know if you post it, id love to have a read 😊
X ❤
xXelliemayXx (10 stories) (164 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-23)
hhhmmmmmmm 😕 I think you did see something... I recon you did anyways but obviously it didn't want to hurt you as for the hood business that's a bit creepy when your walking next to cemetary! 😨
princess123 (7 stories) (186 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-23)
Cool story, I have had a lot of experiences with shadows! AND I have also had an experience with an MP3 player with a shadow, which I would be happy to share with you!

Princess123 x ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: