You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Mysterious Events At Home I Just Can't Explain

Real Ghost Stories

Mysterious Events At Home I Just Can't Explain

 

This is a long one so bear with me. I'd love some outsider perspective. I have included some of my house history at the end.

This happened to me earlier this evening so it's still playing fresh in my mind. I have written it down to try and talk my mind into coming up with an explanation but I just can't. Can a ghost wander into your home very rarely? Or am I just being haunted by a shy, restrained being?

Firstly I need to explain about my German Shepard, Bert. There was one week a few months ago where for about an hour in the evenings he would just lie in the hallway and stare at a spot by the door, you could wave your hand in front of his face, even try to tempt him with scraps but he would just sit and stare. His gaze always focused behind you, now and then he would growl slightly or mutter a low, gruff bark, then, he would suddenly snap out of it and go back to his normal bouncy self.

After that week it has only happened once or twice more; it's very strange that it happens so little now when he went a full week of doing it every evening. We even contemplated taking him to the vet's in case he was having a kind of fit or something but it doesn't seem a problem anymore.

Now the layout of my house is really simple, you walk through the door, there's a hallway and stairs to the second floor, the hallway leads to the kitchen with small area for my laundry room and my living room/dining room is the first door on the left upon entry. Bert would always be between the laundry room and near the entrance to the living room

I was in the kitchen making a cup of tea staring absent-mindedly out into the garden until the dog started leaping up as if he'd been made to jump. It made me turn around. As I looked I saw what looked like a male figure walk into the living room- from my quick glance it didn't appear to go through the doorway but through the wall.

Thinking my eyes were playing tricks I assumed it to be my boyfriend. I turned back to the dog, now whining to go outside and let him out. Suddenly an overwhelming feeling of nausea overtook me and I broke into a cold sweat, my head started throbbing violently. Being a migraine sufferer I know it wasn't just an ordinary migraine, it was too fast and intense.

Then, the front door opened and my boyfriend walked into the house and my headache miraculously disappeared.

"Babe, what's wrong?" was the first thing he asked when he saw me standing in the hallway, I was pale and apparently just staring at him for a few seconds. I told him what happened and he swears that he had only just got home.

I stayed in this house when my parents moved away so I grew up here and nothing paranormal has ever happened up until about a year ago (I'll post the one other experience I've had). I honestly can't think of what started this but very occasional cold spots and light flashes have been seen and felt by not only me but my boyfriend and sister.

I've been thinking it could be a random hallucination brought on by my quick and short lived migraine?...but then what about the dog jumping up and trying to get out... And his staring fits?

Any possible explanations would be very much appreciated.

***********House History********

It's pre WW2 but as far as I know, no-one has ever died in it. It was, however, partly damaged in a bombing and rebuilt.

There is a manor-esque house just behind my garden wall (it's a beautiful house and was also partly rebuilt when bombed) that was the bolt hole of the Bishop of Norwich when he got in some sort of trouble over the cathedral. I really need to research this more. It was later turned into a pub called the Bishops Palace, then The Dolphin, then it was a home and now it's a chiropractic center... Could it have been the bishop?

When excavating my garden we found flint wall remains several feet deep.

It's just round the corner of what is now an industrial estate but it was a crash site of a spitfire in WW2. My dog refuses to walk down a large open alleyway of where it is said to be haunted by the pilot's ghost. See I always wonder if it's because of a ghost or if it's his picking up on my fear?

Other hauntings by hazzardsyndrome

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, hazzardsyndrome, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Kenco16 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-22)
Wow! Pretty scary 😨 I would have been out of there in a flash. I fully believe that it was a paranormal experience and not caused by your migraines. I've read your other stories and I think you're really brave to stay there 😁. I hope you have some more stories coming very soon 😁.
HazzardSyndrome (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-13)
colin395,
I see your point, my explanation is that its my home that I share with him and this is only 2 out of a few experiences iv had within this house. I think its just coincidence and that iv lived in this house longer or something
Thanks 😊
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-13)
Wow this sure does sound like you have some activity in your house. Animals tend to see things that we dont. I guess there seces are more sharp then ours. I think this isn't caused by any illness. Simply I velieve there maybe a spirit in your home. Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Collin395 (1 stories) (18 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-11)
well, I like how you report your sightings. But, all of your stories have to do with your boyfriend not being home. Could your sightings have something to do with your boyfriend not being home? I am not calling you a liar, my theory is... Just a theory.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-11)
And just so that you know, there are such things as "anniversary ghosts". They show up, and do their thing on a specific night (day) out of the year. It may NOT be the anniversary of their death, (but then it MAY) it COULD be just a highly emotional occurrence that has them return on that particular date (as in a wedding, birth, purchase of a home that was special to them...). There is little known about them, as in whether they are residual or intelligent. Somethings we just have to wait for more evidence to prove.
Thank you.
HazzardSyndrome (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
thanks for you comments Rhodes and Whitebuffalo, I'll bear it all in mind and just learn to relax around anymore happenings. Its not harming anyone or particularly disruptive so no problems really
Thanks again:)
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
Well, it COULD have been a random hallucination brought on by your hit and miss migraine, but what do you think? Seriously. What do you think?
Right. Me neither.
The thing about the Spiritual world is, they do not work in the same time WE do. A minute for them MAY be a hundred years for us. That is another one of those "iffy" situations that scientist still have not gotten to the bottom of, and it may take them a while.
But it COULD explain why a ghost comes to stay in a home that it has not LIVED in for many, many years. London is FAMOUS for royalty showing up five or more hundred years after their departure from this world.
And who knows what a ghost does to keep itself busy while we are off working, or having family time? Maybe when they are not in OUR presence they are off visiting in someone else's home. They do not have to be anywhere on time, so I think it would be likely that they can go to a certain place "just" every so often, as it appears this one does in your home.
I agree with Rhodes comment. And the history there is simply astounding. I think I would keep looking for a reason. Do not worry overmuch about the WHO right now.
Thank you.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
I definitely appreciate your skepticism Hazzard as most would have jumped up and cried "ghost". I also appreciate the fact that you're researching the history of the land as this might lead you to a better understanding of the events.

Personally I don't think that a person needs to die a terrible and agonising death to haunt a place afterwards. In contrast I believe that a person's attachment to a particular place and their love for it might keep them there even after death.

The few occurences you describe-the ones your dog senses too-sound like "residual" although I can't be certain. There might be some form of interaction later on so I will wait to see if you'll experience anything else. Residual is when the energy of a person, animal, event stays behind and plays over and over in time without the presence of an actual ghost being involved.

The history of the land though is beyond interesting. I say this because if a place (whether that involves a kind of construction or even the land itself) has stood witness to so many important historical events, it is quite probable that it has "captured" that old but intense energy. Even more the emotions of the people involved in those events are very likely still "echoeing" if one only stops to listen carefully.

I will be very interested in knowing if these experiences continue.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: