You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: My Personal Paranormal Experiences

Real Ghost Stories

My Personal Paranormal Experiences

 

There have been unexplained events in my life that I consider to be paranormal. I cannot find a logical or natural explanation for these encounters. Here are but a few examples.

I would say the first event happened when I was 8. I remember my father asking my sister and me to sit down; he had some bad news to share with us. I knew immediately my grandmother, a truly remarkable woman, had passed away. She had endured a long and painful battle with cancer and though I did not see her in her last days, I knew somehow her fight had ended in her untimely death before my father could find the words.

My grandmother sent many messages from beyond to the people she loved (three knocks on the door to tell her brother goodbye, a gift of flowers to her daughter that bloomed for the first and last time, appearing in dreams to say "everything is alright", and the list goes on...). To my knowledge, I am the only person she appeared to as an apparition.

It was several months after her passing and I had an extremely difficult time dealing with her loss. It was the first time I had ever lost a close loved one. I could not bear the thought of sleeping alone at night. I slept in my sister's room and remember waking to see my grandmother in the window dressed in the gown she was buried in. She said nothing and her face showed no expression. I was not frightened. I felt comforted by her presence. I fumbled with the covers in an attempt to wake my sister, but within a matter of seconds I became overwhelmed with grief, tears began to fill my eyes, and she slowly faded away.

Then there were a series of events in (and about) the old three-storey brick house that had been past down our family for generations; the last owners being my grandparents. For one, I never felt welcomed in that home nor did other members of the family even though we had no real reason to feel threatened. I loved my grandparents dearly, but the very thought of being left in that creepy house alone even for a moment downright scared me. I still get chills when I drive by.

I always got the sense that someone there was (and is) watching me. I never saw anything. However, there were some mysterious happenings. For another, this fear (of the house) gradually began to manifest as a terrifying reoccurring dream. It started with me getting a bad nose bleed at the entranceway to the house. Then I would hear my name being called from a distance. I would walk to the living room and I would hear the voice again calling from upstairs. I would climb up the stairs and hear my name; the voice growing louder and more impatient.

I would proceed around the banister to my grandparent's bedroom at the end of the hall and I would hear the voice, its urgency, coming from inside their closet. As I opened the door, there was complete darkness (almost like peering into a large walk-in closet with no lights, no visible walls, and no end) and I would awake, startled, my heart beating rapidly, paralyzed with fear... This dream tormented me for many years. I tried to interpret the dream to uncover its true meaning without any success. I could never recall if the voice in it was male or female and my grandparent's closet in fact was quite small in size.

After my grandfather died, I confided in my sister and told her about the dream. She was completely shocked and shaken by the entire experience; she explained she was haunted by the exact same dream. It would replay in her mind - calling out her name - over and over again. It was eerie!

You can imagine our surprise the day our parents renovated the house in preparation for the estate sale... They decided to remove the worn carpet from my grandparent's bedroom only to have the hard wood floor below reveal the outline of a large walk-in closet! Apparently my mother had forgotten all about it, since it was torn down during her early childhood.

There was also an event that took place when I was still living at my parent's house. My bedroom was adjacent to the kitchen and my bed was next to the wall between the two rooms. The wall is thin and I had left my door open. It was a restless night of tossing and turning when all of a sudden I heard a noise coming from the kitchen. I could distinctly remember what sounded like someone shifting in a chair at the kitchen table and a silver spoon hitting the side of a cup repeatedly, like in a stirring motion. I was convinced someone must have gotten up to make themselves a cup of tea or cocoa, but there were no lights on. I would have seen the glow from my doorway. I shrugged it off. I thought maybe they did not want to disturb me and I drifted back to sleep.

I was the first person up the next day, and during my morning routine I noticed there was no cup in the sink or on the table. I asked each member of my family if they were up during the night to get a drink and the answer was a resounding "no". I was about to dismiss the whole thing, but a few nights later, roughly around the same time, I heard footsteps on the stairs. This time I got up to investigate, but no one was there.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, NiteowL, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

u2littletwinstar2366 (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-14)
My significant other died in a motorcycle accident this Aug. I recently moved to another country and he went with me during my move. Since he died there were signs he is around me. First, there was something that went in my ears then it went to my to my chest. It hurts so bad. Secondly, I also felt like something is crawling on my head and body. I went to the emergency room because I thought something is wrong with me. They did EKG and DR. Checked my ears. Nothing is wrong. He asked me if I'm stress or depress. I told him what happened and he said I should see a counselor or spiritual leader. The other night, I felt tears coming out from my eyes. The other night, I felt like I am possesed. My arms were moving towards my private parts. I covered my ears and begged the spirit or ghost to leave me alone. I believe the spirit left because I woke up in the morning with my fing ers on my ear. I also can feel the cold air in front of my face.
I read in one article just to treat the spirit like they are with you. Well, Saturday night I cooked steak, His favorite and had a glass of wine for him and all of us. My kids lite the candles and after we said "Salud", the door bell rang. My daughter opened the door and no one was there. By the way, no one had ever rang the doorbell during the evening/night time at our new place. My kids kind of got scared and they said he is with us and we all went ahead and ate. I went to bed that night and didn't feeling anything. Last night, I put my finger in my ears so I will not feel anything. I didn't feel anything. I am thinking of trying to go to sleep without putting my fingers in my ear just to see if it will still happen.
Can anyone advice me what to do? I am not comfortable talking to our spiritual leader or counselor.
BYLUYSTER (11 stories) (78 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-17)
Touching. But someone is not ready to leave just yet. I hope it is your grandmother, but just in case it's not...don't be too pushy. It might be someone entirely different who doesn't want their routine interrupted. Just be careful. 😐
God Bless.
Byluyster
DeathKnight12 (6 stories) (28 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-17)
That was a touching and wonderful story and I feel sorry for the loss of a love one maybe the reason is that your grandmother is watching your family to move on

God Bless-DeathKnight12 😭 ❤
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-03)
This was such a touching story. I'm very sorry for your loss. It does seem like your grandma wanted you to move on, though. I wish the warmest blessings upon you and your family.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-02)
Well you both can't be bonkers if both of you experienced the same dream and voice calling. I think there is a time after one's passing that a spirit can still be here for a while. I think the progression to the other side is just that; a progression. When they know all is well with the family they left behind they can move on. Sorry for your loss but no one ever really dies, we can take comfort in that.
NiteowL (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-01)
Thanks for your comments.

ParaTam,
Both my sister and I had told our mother of our experiences after the renovations were completed. She was not very receptive though. If she ever encountered the paranormal (and I believe she has), she is not willing to discuss it with us. It's too bad really, because she may be able to offer some explanation for these events - who knows. It remains one big mystery for me.
ParaTam (3 stories) (80 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-01)
NiteowL -
Thank you for sharing your story with us. It is very comforting when a loved, such as your dear grandma, continues to show us their love, support and protection from the other side. It is affirmation of life beyond ours and loves that last an eternity.

I would be curious to know if your mother, growing up in that house, ever had any paranormal experiences. It sounds like she hasn't volunteered the information, but maybe if you tell her of your feelings, your reoccuring nightmare, etc., she may open up to her grown child about it. It sounds like there is an entity trapped there who is not at peace. Hopefully, one of the current/future owners will have the house blessed or cleansed.

Blessed be to you!
ParaTam
flamewithin (57 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-01)
she knew you wer haveing a tuff time dealing with her passing so she was checking in on you to let you know she may not be there in body but her spirit will never leave you she will always be there watching over you & your famiy ❤
tips_leadinvestigator (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-27)
It sounds like your grandmother is hanging around and watching over your family! That is very comforting to know. The dreams you and your sister had were very strange. It's so odd that you both had the same reoccuring dream. Great story!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: