You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: My Faithful Dog

Real Ghost Stories

My Faithful Dog

 

I read somewhere that an animal that is very close to their owner knows when it is their time to go. They can sense when they are needed in their owners life and then again when they aren't.

My mother got us a cockapoo (cocker spaniel and poodle mix) when I was eight years old. She was the best dog and her name was sugar. She even travelled with us from Oregon to Mississippi when we moved. She was our surrogate "mother". She liked to check on us when we were sleeping every night. I would sleep with my legs Indian style so that she could lay down there. It was her favourite spot. Sugar had a collar that would jingle when she walked. That dog was loved very much.

When I was 19 Sugar's health started declining. She was going blind and getting diabetes and could hardly walk. I had just gotten married (my husband got stationed in Kuwait/Iraq) and I was pregnant with my first child. My mother was in a relationship and my sister was living with her boyfriend. I think Sugar knew it was her time. She came to me and lay her head on my pregnant belly and I swear to you she smiled at me. I cried because I knew this would be the last time I saw her. Sugar passed away in October of 2002! I still have her collar!

After my daughter was born I got post-partum depression. I thought I was hallucinating one night because I thought I saw sugar run to my daughter's room. I ran in there to see if it was really her but there was no Sugar but my daughter was awake.

One night, about a week later, I was in my bed about to fall asleep when I heard the jingle of my dog's collar. I was half asleep so I didn't think nothing of it and put my legs Indian style for my dog to sleep there. Sometime in the middle of the night I patted my dog. I remember rubbing my hands through her fur and feeling at peace. When I woke up in the morning I couldn't believe it. I told my mom about it and she said it didn't surprise her that I would see our dog.

I needed her the most at that time in my life and my dog new that. I haven't seen her since that night but every once in a while I hear the jingle of her collar and on some mornings when I wake up my legs are Indian style.

Thanks for reading!

Other hauntings by raingrl01

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Mississippi

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, raingrl01, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Preeti (100 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-13)
Great story my friend god bless you always and happy haunting 😊.

God bless you ❤
courtneyOMGG (12 stories) (179 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-13)
This story is beautiful.
Its so lucky that she re visted you when you needed her the most.
She's obviously watching you and cares about you alot!
Take care ❤
Verleus (3 stories) (26 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-08)
WOW...thats why people say that pet animals never die for the owner. Love for the master keep them from leaving them, and they always sense it when their owner needs them. Sugar must have been wonderful to stay withyou when you needed her most. Consider yourself lucky to have such a priceless friend.
Touching story,
Hope sugar gets peace,
Verleus
CenterCore (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-08)
That's very touching. When I was younger my mother purchased a kitten, named Eloise. I never was all that into kittens, but the way Eloise died hit us all. It was a freak accident. Eloise's paw got stuck in between the wooden bars of a rolling kitchen unit while climbing into one of the shelves, and fell, her paw still stuck. I remember my mother trying to salvage her by tipping the unit so that Eloise could free ber paw, but instead the unit hit her in the head, killing her. Very traumatic for her, my mother, as she blamed herself for this. But not long afterward, she claimed to have been visited by Eloise, who climbed onto her bed with her one night. My mother thought it was her OTHER cat, Roxanne, but she sat up and felt this weight lifting, but nothing was there. Thank you for sharing.
Baneofthewolf (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-03)
Thank you for the comment.
I feel prophetic everytime I think of death.
Death is only a line, a line we are afraid to cross. Once we must cross it, we find happyness, Happyness Eternal.

Im sorry about yours.

From the B.o.t.w.
I can still remember the final sigh of life, the sound of bell ringing.
mandalyn05 (5 stories) (35 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-31)
I about cried reading this. I've lost 3 dogs whom I loved dearly. Sounds like she was a very loyal and sweet girl.
Lisa66 (1 stories) (54 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-31)
I understand exactly where you're coming from. This past December I had the unfortunate task of putting my beloved dog Luke down as well. (I actually wrote about my experience afterwards on this site.) My Luke meant the world to me and I know I meant the world to him so that's why I'm not too shocked that he came back to let me know he was ok. Sugar apparently was just doing what she had always done in the past... Watching over a child. Thanks for sharing.
raingrl01 (5 stories) (151 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-30)
Hey Tonith!
I always love reading your comments on my stories and other people's stories. My mom also had experiences with our dog. I haven't had an experience with her since I moved to NY. I'm kind of bummed about that but at least I know that she finally moved on! 😊 I would never want someone I love to hang around because of me. She helped me get through a lot. I do have a ferret now but it isn't the same and I haven't found another dog that I had that same connection with.

I agree with you that love is love and it is very powerful. I love reading your posts. Have a good night! ❤
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-30)
Aww. What a beautiful story. I too had to put down my 16 year old lab and after we got back from the vet I heard her collar with tags jingle. I think it was her final goodbye. Now my other dog had to be put down at 18 and she was a dashound and always slept on our bed. I swear to you for 3 years after her death I would feel her jump on the bed, walk around to get her right position and lay down. When this first started happening I would quickly turn the light on and of course nothing was there and no imprint or anything. Just thought it was my grief working overtime. After a while I got use to it and found it very comforting. When I got my first pet (a cat) after 3 years of having no pets, I would still feel it and think it was the cat but it wasn't. About a month after having the new pet it ceased to happen unless it was the cat doing it. To this day I believe it was real. I could chalk the first 6 months of it to grief but I wasn't grieving for a whole 3 years. I believe while my lab just said goodbye once, my little dog wasn't ready to leave until I got a new pet. I have always been thankful for that phenomenon and it never frightened me but always gave me a sense of peace. Like I always say if there aren't pets in heaven it wouldn't be heaven to me. Your Sugar loved you and she made sure you knew it even after her demise. Love is love and it's a powerful energy.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: