You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: A Visit From Meemee

Real Ghost Stories

A Visit From Meemee

 

I'm writing about an experience I had about 2 months ago with my then 16 month old son. I have had a couple of "paranormal" experiences throughout my life, this is the most recent.

For this story I will give a little background info to begin with.

My grandma "MeeMee" died on Sept. 27th 2005, just a month and some days after Hurricane Katrina hit. She had been battling Alzheimer's for 8 years (by this time she had no idea who we were or who she was, she didn't talk) up to this point and was living in a nursing home in New Orleans where she had 24 hour care. They had evacuated her home because of the hurricane and they felt the stress of the move was the reason she passed. Her ashes were just recently buried this past November (2008) because the cemeteries in New Orleans still were unfit for burying. So for 3 years my MeeMee's ashes sat in my parent's house. Which for some reason I sort of found creepy.

Before the Alzheimer's hit her badly she lived in an apartment building for senior citizens. I would often stay there, and loved my visit with her. She always kept Kit-Kats in the fridge because she said they tasted better cold, and I would always eat them. I particularly remember the smell of her place. It wasn't a bad smell; it was 'her' smell. She also sold Avon for many many years; it was practically her life after her husband had died.

In April 2006 I got married and moved with my husband to Southern California. In October 2007 my son was born. My son has never met my grandmother (obviously) I don't have any pictures of her (all were lost in hurricane) and I don't talk about her around him. I have never mentioned the word "MeeMee" to my son nor has anyone else. My son was with me in November (2008) when we finally buried my grandmother's ashes in the crypt. At the burial her full name was used. Nothing special happened that day.

March 2009: I was in the living room cleaning up. My son was down for a nap in his room with the door closed. I recently started to sell Avon and had tons of boxes in the living so I was clearing them out. All of a sudden I smelt a smell that did not smell like Apple Cinnamon (I had candles burning). Not just any smell, my MeeMee's smell. The smell of her apartment, her clothes, whatever. It was 'her' smell. I was looking around thinking I'm losing my mind. I have nothing out that belongs to her. The only thing I do have is a hand mirror, which is in a drawer in my bedroom (which smells nothing like her after it sat in hurricane water for some time), a ring and necklace, which are locked away. It quickly went away, and I just brushed it off but smiled at the fact that hey maybe she came for a visit. But to assure myself I sniffed in all the Avon boxes, which smelled like cardboard boxes.

An hour or so later my son woke up and I went in to get him. As I walked into his room I noticed the faint smell of my MeeMee, but it was instantly gone. My son was standing in his crib smiling and laughing. I placed him on his changing table to change his diaper. He pointed to the ceiling and said "MeeMee" and looking at him I said "No baby, Mama" and pointed to myself. He then pointed to me and said "Mama", then pointed to the corner over his crib and said "MeeMee". I really didn't know what to think at this point so I said to my son "Did MeeMee come and play with you?" and he just clapped.

That night I put him in his crib at 9pm, turned on his musical turtle, turned on his lava lamp, turned off the lights and closed the door. My son doesn't fall asleep right away sometimes. I can hear him kicking the wall or babbling to himself, but this last 30mins to an hour at the most.

His room is next to my husband's and my room. I don't go to bed early and I was lying in bed reading when I heard my son talking loudly. I looked at the clock thinking 'why is he still awake? It's 2 in the morning!' So I got out of bed and just as I was about to open his door I hear him saying "Meemeemeemeemeemeemee" and the he would laugh.

For some reason my cheeks started to burn. No idea why this happened, it may have nothing to do with this occurrence. I opened the door and my Meemee's smell hits me; its was so strong in his room that I felt like it would knock me back. And there was my son standing up in the crib laughing and bouncing. I walked over to him just to check him out; by this time the smell had fading. By the time I laid him back down and covered him the smell was gone.

Back in my room and too creeped out to sleep I read some more and continued to hear my son say "MeeMee". I don't know when I feel asleep, but I remember dreaming about her.

We were sitting in her living room eating Kit-Kats (her favourite) and she said to me "I'm glad your finally happy."

The next day and from then on even to this day I have not smelled 'her' smell and my son has not said "Meemee."

I am a firm believer that children can see what we adults cannot or choose not to see. In my heart I feel that she wanted to meet and play with her great grandson and check up on me too.

Other hauntings by AnusteMoon

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AnusteMoon, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Brikeat (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-05-14)
i love this story. Its amazing.
Very well written too. She must of really loved you. 😊
AnusteMoon (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-14)
Don't worry, if she comes back I will be sure to share any more experiences. But to this day, I haven't seen or smelled anything and my son has not said "MeeMee." ❤
Nor_Cal_Girl (3 stories) (97 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
Wow, what an amazing story. Thank you for sharing with us! Please tell us if MeeMee comes back for any more visits!
mandalyn05 (5 stories) (35 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-10)
I'm with Enchantress on this. My grandma died 13 years ago, just before my 9th birthday. I have never once felt her presence or anything and would love to have a visit from her, just to know she made it to the other side. I am truly touched by your story and wish I could read more like it.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-09)
I would have said this could be a reaction from all the trauma of the hurricane and the delay in burying her ashes but what happened to your son makes me think differently. Children see what we can't see and being that your grandmother loved you so much she paid you a special visit and your son even a more special one. He could see her. He may never remember this event but you will and I'm sure you will tell him about it one day. It's nice to hear this kind of story and it rings very true to me.
Enchantress (2 stories) (25 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-08)
WOW What a touching story. I am so glad for your part. I wish my oupa / grandfather would come back, I miss him terribly: (Especially after reading your post now.
AnusteMoon (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-07)
Thank you everyone for your positive comments. I'm glad you enjoyed my story, I just felt like it needed to be told. Hobbyholly, I will take your advice and see if any family members where able to save any pictures of her and I will put one in my sons room. ❤
BriFischer05 (14 stories) (169 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-06)
Such a touching story. Brought a tear to my eye. Your Meme sounded like a beautiful person in life and has remained a beautiful person in the after life. I'm glad you had such a positive encounter with the other side.

God Bless
angelboo424 (28 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-06)
What a beautiful story! I am so glad your Mee Mee got to visit your son and you were aware of her making sure you are ok.

Thanks for posting this!

Hugs,
Joanne

WWW.myangelspeak.com
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-06)
AnusteMoon:

Sometimes you find treasure in trash and that is what this story is. A treasure of a story in a whole lotta' mess.

First off: My great aunt and grandmother bought Avon products in the 70s/80s. I think I know the smell you describe. Not offensive... Just distinct. OH and Kit-Kats in the fridge... I thought I was the only one to do that.

I truly think your grandma visited your son. I think animals and children are able to see things that us "busy" adults don't notice. Does any relative have photos of her? You might want to show one to your son. Maybe put it in a frame and keep in his room. If not, then I guess her late night visits will have to do.

Thank you for a really lovely story

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: