You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: Something Following Me? Poltergeist? Doppelganger?

Real Ghost Stories

Something Following Me? Poltergeist? Doppelganger?

 

Soooo, where to begin? I'm going to apologize in advance for the length.

I'll begin by saying that I moved to my apartment in a historical district of a very old city. Most of the buildings were hundreds of years old and I can't imagine some of the stories that must have come from inside the walls. I was always a bit of a skeptic, but after a few months of moving in, I began to reconsider. I was forever hearing bumps in the night, tapping on the walls and the occasional crying... More of a slow weeping. I could never tell where it was coming from, and my then-roommate insists to this day it was not him. I attributed most of these things to my imagination and went on with life.

On one occasion, I was returning from the grocery store overloaded with groceries. I wanted to stop by my room to drop off my purse and a few items, arms full. To my surprise, the door opened by itself, and as I walked in, the light switched on, and my CD player started up on its own as if to say "Welcome home!" I was not scared, a little weirded out maybe, but again, came up with an explanation "Old building, bad wiring" etc. I am still not entirely convinced that this is not the case.

Another instance in this apartment was a bit more unsettling. I was sitting on the couch watching TV, when I heard a rattling at the door. At first, I thought it was my roommate returning from work, forgetting his keys. I went to the door to let him in. As I approached the door, the rattling stopped. I felt a sudden sinking feeling in my stomach, I still don't know why. It was my body's way of telling me something was off, female intuition maybe. It was then that I realized that I didn't hear anyone coming up the stairs (which were hollow and aluminum, notorious for being the loudest things ever) and I thought that was a bit weird. To be on the safe side, I put the chain-link lock on (we didn't have a peephole) and opened the door, nobody there. I was a bit relieved, and thought I must have imagined the rattling. NOT SO. The door had actually rattled so much that I had to screw it back on! It has been broken ever since.

To get to the REALLY creepy part...

I stayed in that apartment for several years (cheap rent, yay!) but went through a series of roommates. I told one of my later roommates, "Stacey" about a few of my experiences in the place. She was eager to listen but did not entirely buy into the whole thing until her first night in the place. The next morning, she told me her story.

Apparently, late the previous night, she took a shower after a long day of moving. She asked me if I had been in there with her, perhaps brushing my teeth. She insisted that she heard a young girl's voice SINGING and that she saw a shadowy figure (which she presumed was me) walk by the opaque glass of the shower. When she got out, she checked in my room and I was out cold (I had been for the past 2 hours). I have never sleepwalked and I was certainly not in the bathroom with her.

Years later my then boyfriend "Aaron" was staying the night. I never mentioned Stacey's experience to him. Bit of a macho dude, would have just told me I was a psycho, wouldn't have been the first time. Stacey no longer lived with me at that point anyways. I was sitting on my bed (which was opposite the bathroom) waiting for him to get ready and join me. He was brushing his teeth and I could see him from directly across the hall. He was talking to me in between brushing but I couldn't understand him because he was speaking softly and was a little too far for me to hear. He then finished up, put the toothpaste away and closed the mirrored medicine cabinet. After a few seconds of looking in the mirror, I saw the color drain from his face entirely. He looked over at me, and back at the mirror again. He slowly crossed the hall to join me and told me what had happened...

Apparently he heard a young girl singing in the bathroom and that when he closed the cabinet, he clearly saw me standing behind him in the reflection in the mirror. He turned his head and realized I was actually across the hall, cross legged on my bed, waiting for him. I never again saw him that scared.

I, myself have never seen this "copycat" image of myself (which is a good thing I suppose, because I wikipedia'd 'doppelganger' and apparently they are omens of death) but wonder why it is that it is appearing to others? It's extra creepy because I had never told either Stacey or Aaron about each other's encounter and it was exactly the same.

On another (related? Unrelated?) note, a crazy ghost hunting, occult loving colleague of mine insisted that I had the craziest, brightest aura she'd ever seen, and insisted she do my numerology. Apparently, I am a "9" and it means I am an "old soul" and that I am allegedly more prone to these types of experiences or something. A bit of a crock I say, but I do find it weird that I can't wear a wristwatch, because it'll either start going way too slow or way too fast. My mom has the same problem and says it could be because of iron levels or some kind of electrical charges in the blood.

Either way, whether you believe in this stuff or not you can't deny that those are some creepy stories. I have a ton more, maybe I will include them at a later date. I'd also like to note that since I've moved from that building to a brand new one on the other side of town (it's been 2-3 years now) nothing has happened! What do you think it could have been?

I don't think I should worry anymore but it's always bothered me...

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, crimsonghost, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

angelcosmodragon (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-18)
you know I also seen a doppelganger it said on Wikipedia that when a doppelganger shows to a friend it saying that your friend will have an ill or face danger in future
Thealoneone (1 stories) (77 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-07)
I may be new to Doppelgangers but this ghost could know you somehow like a past life or something. Think, it shows itself to others only as you, it occasionally knocks on the wood to get your attention, it greeted you when you came in with the groceries. Perhaps a dead friend? Or a ghostly crush?
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-13)
I agree with chunkygut1 I seen some doppleganger sometimes like my stepdad I wasn't sure what I am see it.
chunkygut1 (13 stories) (73 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-12)
Dopplegangers ussually signify the death of the person that they are taking the form off, they do usually appear to others ussually close friends or relatives of the person involved.

Although since this spirit has been around for quite a time you should be perfectly fine and need not worry sometimes spirits need to adopt someone else's form for unknown reasons.

Please keep us informed of these happenings.
Good health and prosperity to you ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: