You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Who Unlocked The Door?

Real Ghost Stories

Who Unlocked The Door?

 

This happened several years ago and is the only ghostly encounter I have ever had, but I still don't know how to explain it.

My husband and I were renting a house. The bedrooms were located off a small hallway and the hallway had a door that led to the den, as well as a door that led to the living room. Both of these doors as well as all three outside doors had those old fashioned sliding metal bolts on them to lock them. It was a nice secure feeling knowing that when we went to bed and locked the hallway doors, an intruder who came in to the main living area of the house would not have access to us in the bedrooms.

Well, one night my husband went to bed before me. He was always kind of bad at making sure the house was locked up, so I was checking the doors before I went to sleep. The sliding metal bolt on the door that led from the living room to the breezeway was not locked and I remember being annoyed with my husband and thinking that, as the man of the house he really should make sure these things are taken care of. I locked the door and went to bed a little angry, intending to speak to him about it in the morning.

Well, as it happened, I was up before him the next morning. When I went out to the living room, the sliding metal bolt on the door to the breezeway was back in the unlocked position. I couldn't understand it. I distinctly remembered doing it the night before, all the while complaining to myself about my husband.

I also used to hear "footsteps" when I was alone in the house, but I put that down to the old wood floors creaking but the door being unlocked... That I have yet to explain.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Massachusetts

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, izzy1975, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sawwheeler (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-09)
poltergeist I do believe I'm just guessing though so I'm not sure and I'm confused
😕
charmcaster (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-10)
😕
Iam pretty confused about your story but you should ask about the history of the house and call a CLAIRVORANT or CLAIRVOYANT. Sorry I'm weak in spelling...
izzy1975 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-10)
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the comments. We are no longer living in that house, but we lived there a total of 4 1/2 years. I never really felt unsafe there, but there were a few times I felt, 'on guard,' if that makes sense. Mostly when I would hear what sounded like footsteps even though I was alone in the house. In fact, that reminds me, there was one time I was in the back bedroom writing at my computer and heard footsteps in the hall. My husband was at work and our son was at pre-school. I was so certain someone was in the house I actually jumped up out of my chair and turned to face the intruder. Nobody was there. And I never do that sort of thing because I just don't 'expect' encounters.

Now that I think back though, there were lots of times things seemed to be misplaced. Like, I'd set my keys on the table as I was about to leave, the phone would ring and when I went back to get them, they wouldn't be there. I'd search and search and search and then eventually find them right back where I originally left them. I really didn't know what to make of instances like this so I sort of shrugged them off telling myself I "must have" moved them or overlooked them or whatever.

The only other instance I can think of was one night when my son had a very strange and creepy dream. He calmly told us about it the next day (he was about 5 at the time) and it really gave my husband and I chills. He had bunkbeds and they were placed up against the wall. He dreamed a boy just a little older than him woke him and was walking along side his bed. We assumed he meant walkingon the floor next to the bed, but he described him walking on top of the mattress along the wall. He described the boy in detail, from his hair color to his clothes. It still gives me the creeps, lol.

The house was built by an old couple who had downsized from the house they raised their family in. They were long dead and their grandson owned it at the time we were renting. He lived out of town and we did everything through a property manager, so we never really got to talk to him or ask him questions. But now you have made me wonder and I am going to see if I can get any information about the old couple and find out if either of them died in the house, or if a little boy like that had ever lived there.

Thanks! And thanks for not thinking I'm crazy!

Izzy
ghostlyswings09 (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-10)
Wow. I think that whatever is doing this might want you out of the house (not saying get out or anything) and is making it easier for you. But this is making you unsafe so try to find a way to prevent what is happening. But if anything else happens, keep us updated!

Ghostlyswings09
courtneyOMGG (12 stories) (179 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-09)
This is interesting.
Since we've moved house... Our sliding glass door that goes onto our balcony unlocks itself all the time, because like you, I always know that I definately locked it.
Did your husband experience anything in the house?
Who lived in it before you?
Take care.

C
Tydin (1 stories) (30 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-09)
Set up a hidden cam for a few nights! Could be a ghost. Could be you or your hubby just sleep walking heh heh. Either way you need to find the cause. It's putting your safety at risk.
CA_NJGirl (6 stories) (31 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-09)
I worked in an office like that once. The ghost would unlock and lock doors and one time put a garbage can against an office door from the inside (there was only one entrance to the room and the door swung in). How did you feel about the place itself--did it give off vibes?
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-09)
interesting. Did you know the history of the building? Did the locks do this more than once?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: