You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Bad Feelings And Weird Noises 2

Real Ghost Stories

Bad Feelings And Weird Noises 2

 

Here's an update on the experiences I've been having at my friend's house.

I spent the night there last night which I really regret now. It started off normal laughing and chatting in her room, watching TV and snacking on chips. Then we agreed we were tired and she switched off the light and turned off the television. I was sleepy and was determined to ignore the feeling of dread and not be scared (upon advice from my previous post) and tried to go to sleep.

It was not long after my friend and I both went to bed my friend was snoring, suddenly the doorknob started turning. Of course I almost crapped my pants, but I just lay there, staring at the wall and hoping it would go away like usual. It turned again, and I heard the door open. (I know it opened because I heard the wood hit her closet, since its right behind the door. It doesn't squeak when it opens, because it's a newer door than the rest of the house. But I've heard that door open a lot and I was absolutely sure I heard it open)

This had never happened before, only the knob turning. Then I heard the sound of footsteps in her carpet (the carpet is really thick and you can hear when someone is walking on it). I was scared out of my mind, but that wasn't the weirdest thing about it. Whenever you walk in her room and pretty much anywhere in the house you can hear the floor creak (since it's old) but there was no creaking just the footsteps in the carpet. I was too scared to move, so I just listened to the footsteps and they kept coming and stopped right in front of me. Then I heard quiet breathing, and it got louder, like somebody was breathing with effort. I looked up and couldn't see a thing, but I knew there was something standing right in front of me. Then something really cold touched my elbow, and slid up to my shoulder. It was like someone with really cold hands had stroked my arm. Next the cold touch was on my cheek, like fingers touching my cheekbone, and then it was gone. I waited, and nothing else happened. I felt like I was alone again.

I started crying and rolled over to wake up my friend. She doesn't wake up easy, but seemed to realize I was upset. I got her to sit up and pointed at the open door. I knew it would alert her to something weird, because she always shut the door at night. While we were both watching, it slammed shut really loud. We screamed and I hid under the blankets. A few moments later her dad came into the room. I pretended to be asleep, because I didn't want to have to explain it. He told her not to mess around, it was late and he was tired, and she said okay and he left. We didn't sleep any more after that.

I've made up my mind and told her that I won't go back there until I know what her house's history is and I feel safe there again. She finally believes me, at least. I don't know what this means. Maybe there's a spirit who's trying to tell me something, or frighten me, I don't know. But I am seriously scared.

I probably sound dumb and naïve, but does anyone know how I would go about looking her house up at the library?

Other hauntings by seb94

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, seb94, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-10-27)
I wonder what has happened to the OP? Its rather frustrating giving advice and then they never come back...
Meh
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-15)
The way it touched you seemed more of an endearing gesture than one with intent to harm. Until you said the door slammed, I was thinking that maybe a mother ghost thought you were her child or something. Or maybe a relative past had come to check in on you. I really don't think whatever it is, wants to harm you. If it can caress you, it could have just as easily pinched you, or slapped you.
Just a thought. Good luck! 😊
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-10-15)
First: where in Illinois is this happening?

Second: researching the house- yes the library is a start. You may want to look at old micro film. You'll need the address of the home and any previous owners. You might want to check a local town museum. It is a lot of work so you might want to recruit your friend into helping you. You can check your county courthouse for deed registry. (I.E if its Dupage county, you would go to Dupage courthouse) If you go the courthouse way... You may need an owner (i.e her father) to go with you. I don't know if you're a minor or not, if you are they may not be willing to share such info with you.

Often an older house will pass from one owner to another through a mortgage or a will and will thus not show up on deeds. You might want to look at surveyor maps to see if anything had been added or demolished. A good place to start looking is at the assessor's office in your jurisdiction. The assessor keeps records of the taxable value of the home, and there may be old appraisals on file that describe the house in great detail. You can also check old city directories, county histories, vital statistics, and census records.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: