You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: Driving Through Corn Fields At Night

Real Ghost Stories

Driving Through Corn Fields At Night

 

As you may know from my previous stories, I grew up in Illinois and I experienced many paranormal things there. What I would like to tell you about this time are the experiences I had during a period of six months in college (University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign or UIUC) when I was taking horseback riding lessons off campus. In order to get there, I had to drive through unlit pitch black back roads through miles of corn fields in the evening. It was late fall, so it was very dark by 5:00 when I left for lessons.

Every two weeks I would drive out there, and I had a few different experiences on the long roads through the corn fields. First of all, every time I drove out there I always saw little balls of light flying around. I assumed they were fireflies or dust or something at first, but when I noticed that they were always different colors, like pink or green or yellow, I began to wonder. I would always see them though, usually floating across the road in front of my car or floating down the road right toward my car and over it.

One night it was particularly dark, and I was the only car on the road. Suddenly ahead of me I saw this massive tall rectangle that was even blacker than the night around me. It was a perfect rectangle, like a great big oversized door, and it was on my side of the road but hovering maybe a foot off the road. It looked like a portal! But I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me for sure, so I rubbed them, blinked, squinted... But it was still there, and getting closer. I moved my head way over from side to side, and the road, corn, and stars disappeared behind it as I did so, so it was something solid or at least real. There was now a car behind me, and the "portal" or whatever it was getting bigger and bigger really fast, so I was sweating what to do. Finally, at the last moment, I braked hard and swerved into the left lane and back again, skirting around it. I looked in my rearview mirror, and the car behind me had just gone straight, not seeing what I had. And when I turned around, the "portal" wasn't visible anymore... W-E-I-R-D.

The scariest thing that ever happened was one night when I was really happy, singing along loudly to a bouncy happy song on the radio, all of a sudden in one instant all the hair on the back of my neck and on top of my head rose a bit and although I couldn't physically see it, I KNEW that something was reaching out really fast from the floorboard of the passenger seat with a scaly clawed hand to grab my right leg. I screamed at the top of my lungs and swerved into the left lane. Luckily, again, I was the only car on the road. My memory's a little fuzzy about this part, but I think my scream made the feeling immediately fade. So I continued on down the road and tried to get back to my happy singing. But a few moments later it happened again and it was reaching even faster as if it were trying to reach me before I could scream. But I screamed really loud, screeched to a halt, wrestled my seatbelt off, and threw myself out of the car. It was dead silent outside, with the corn blowing in the wind a bit. The happy music still playing in my car and the beeping of my car door standing open were the only other sounds. I stood there shaking and breathing fast for a little while, until I was able to release all the fear and tell it very strongly and angrily to LEAVE ME ALONE and GET OUT OF MY CAR! I waited until the heavy feeling of foreboding passed, and until I felt happy again, so it couldn't come back and feed off my fears when I got back in the car. Finally I got back in and finished the drive without any more mishaps. That sure was freaky though!

What a crazy stretch of road! I wonder to this day what all of those things were.

~Trudy~

Other hauntings by Trudy82

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Trudy82, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Shinigami0 (2 stories) (203 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-26)
I kind of wish I hadn't read this now. I'm going to a corn maze with some friends around Halloween.

And when I got to the last paragraph, whatever is chilling in my house decided to make some noises.

I need a hug now. 😭
HardToScare432 (1 stories) (72 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-18)
What is so freaky about reading the last paragraph, is that I was going to write a scary story and was thinking about it in my head. It was similar to yours, a girl driving through a cornfield, and (without the rest of the story) she looked out her of her car, and saw a scaly, dark green/blue creature stared up at her with creepy yellow eyes.
Trudy82 (5 stories) (57 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-16)
Hey everyone,

I haven't checked on my stories in ages! Just wanted to say thanks for the comments. I might have confused some people about the road. I just want to clarify that I wasn't literally driving THROUGH a cornfield, like on a dirt road or something, but on a regular road that had a corn field on both sides of it. So I was kind of going through a cornfield but it was a normal stretch of road. Lol:)
flamingschizoid (22 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-22)
hollyhubby:

Hun your braver than me. I would rather take the longest route possible to where I have to go than go through a corn field they're just scary period day or night!
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-21)
I would think the tunnel effect of miles and miles of corn fields coupled with it being country dark can mess with the eyes creating optical illusion. Here in Pa. They mow down their stocks after the season is over to prepare the land for next season's planting so all our fields are just flat now. They may not do that in your state so you have dried cornstocks still in place. I think your imagination just got the better of you along with being on a lonely stretch of road. The rectangle thing you saw I'm not sure what that was. Possibly optical illusion and maybe something else. Interesting to say the least. Makes me glad I don't live in Children of the Corn country. Lol I have never driven through miles and miles of fields but maybe the road starts to hypnotize you into seeing things that aren't really there. Very creepy.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-20)
flaming: unfortunately if you want to get to UofI it requires some driving past cornfields.

While I found it not too bad during the day (unless I was hungover... Thanks "Brothers Bar"...COLLEGE) night was another story. I wouldn't be afraid of ghosts... But falling asleep at the wheel
Lavenders (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-19)
well... I DID live in IL, I live in CALI now but I'm glad to not live in Haunted IL anymore D: For some reason... CALI doesn't seem as haunted to me...
Lavenders (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-19)
Ahh... I live in IL too! Over closer to SIU of Carbondale though.

Corn fields sure do look spooky at night yah?!

Anyways, I didn't have a portal like experience like you but I was driving through the road in Rend Lake Forest reserve in Ina trying to get to RLC and I saw this diamond like puff (looked like smoke) float up high in the sky over the road and BACK down again! It wasn't to far away either so I knew my mind just wasn't playing tricks on me... Since I know there can be campers sometimes at that forest reserve, I drew by the place where I saw the diamond like smoke puff but I saw no people much less not even a campfire...
flamingschizoid (22 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-18)
in otherwords do go into corn fields at night they are all haunted!
flamingschizoid (22 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-18)
oh my god anyone in their right mind knows driving through a corn field is like begging a ghost to come out and scare the shiat out of you and give you a heart attack. In other words, ITS SOMETHING THATS NEVER DONE! 😲
Watersprite (3 stories) (85 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-18)
Wow! Spooky! You're a brave woman! 😨 That was so cool that you could get back in the car... Although I guess you didn't really have a choice at that point! 😆
Trudy82 (5 stories) (57 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-18)
Hi hobbyholly, actually the drive that I was on when these things happened was always a short 20 minute drive to a farm off campus, so it was an easy drive. Just very dark. I know for sure the little lights were there but I don't know what they were...
Lol That's funny how you describe the drive to the college. My family lived about 3 and 1/2 hours north of the college, and I drove back and forth a lot to visit. I used Rt. 47 because it was a pretty nice relaxed drive. But I've always really liked driving so maybe it doesn't seem so bad to me.:) Thanks for commenting!
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-11-18)
Trudy:
First of all a medal should go to you for driving out to University or Illinois.
Especially alone. DEAR GOD that is a brutal treck. I had friends that went to college out there and visited once. THAT was it. I couldn't imagine going out there more than once. UGH

Anyway: I don't have much experience with orbs... But it does sound like quite the noodle scratcher. You don't think it was your eyes playing with you? I mean... That is quite the drive.

As far as something reaching up for your leg...whew...creepy.

Thanks for sharing.

Sidenote: the site won't let me type what the University's nickname is (UofI)...but a crap ton of posters on here can get by with slaughtering the english language

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: