You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Grandma's Supernatural Visitors

Real Ghost Stories

Grandma's Supernatural Visitors

 

My Grandmother and Great-Aunt rented a house during World War II that they swore was haunted. My Great Uncle was a spy/interpreter so he had access to some things that was harder for the average GI to get... like silk stockings. Anyway, Alice & Grandma Helen noticed that things were missing (like the stockings and their grocery money) pretty often, so they locked them up in a box. Only the two of them had keys. No dice... they'd open the box and it would have been cleaned out. Then they started hearing heavy footsteps in the night going up and down the stairs and through the hallway, cold breezes where there was no explanation for them, etc. They did a bit of research and learned that there had been a murder/suicide in the house and promptly moved out. Suddenly they realized why the house had been such a good deal and why no one stayed there very long.

Grandma Helen passed away in January of this year at 101 years old. My Mom went to visit her in the hospital when she was in her final days and happened to hit a time when she was very lucid (she lived by herself until 3 months before she died and she was never senile or otherwise batty, except for the last week or so before she passed away in which she was in-and-out of it). Anyway, in a very lucid moment she told my Mom how the father of my cousin-by-marriage, whom she'd only met once or twice, had come to visit her and told her that it was ok to move on to the "other side." In Grandma Helen's trademark logical way she went on to say to my Mom: "Well, at first I couldn't figure out why the 'Other Side' didn't send your father or even Bob (my Dad), but then I realized that I probably would have thought I hallucinated that. Uncle Jack though? I barely knew him. Random." It seemed to ease her mind though, which was nice.

I kinda like the idea of an emissary being sent to usher you off to your next plane of existence. I think Grandma Helen did too. She was pretty psyched to get outta here by the end and see what was next anyhow.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

IDontLikeBimbos (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-17)
You want to know something freaky?

My name is Alice, and my mothers name is Helen. I was told my estimated time of death will be 94 and my mothers would be 101.

Creeeeeeepy.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-04)
The first paragraph got my attention and curiosity more than the rest, I'm afraid. I'm wondering if your Grandmother or Aunt ever mentioned finding the grocery monies or the stockings that were taken from them?
101, wow. That is amazing in itself. I believe that she hit the nail on the head, so to speak, when she said why she thought Uncle Jack came for her. She was in ill health, so this just protected her from thinking it was all just a hallucination.
Thank you for the wonderful story.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-14)
What a beautiful story! Thank you for haring it with us. I am sure you are right as was your Grandmother, he was there to guide her.

God Bless!
torig1230 (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-04)
Maybe a more random relative was to tell her because if it was more of well known one she might think it was just her imagination. 😊
Bridget (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-01-08)
That is pretty interesting that a "random" relative was sent to escort her to the great beyond. I like to believe that we all have a welcoming commitee waiting for us to help us get used to our "new digs".

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: